ANH Pyro X-Wing References - Mainly: Red 6 Search

Yeah your right frank , must be Oz , we had a few stinkin hot day's a while back and the air in those bubbles expands and goes pop! Anyway better now than when she's finished.

Julien thanks , i used Tamiya fine putty and another automotive fine detail putty and it seems to have done the trick. It took forever but i think i have gotten around 98% of them. I'll post pix later today.

Yeah your right frank , must be Oz , we had a few stinkin hot day's a while back and the air in those bubbles expands and goes pop! Anyway better now than when she's finished.

Julien thanks , i used Tamiya fine putty and another automotive fine detail putty and it seems to have done the trick. It took forever but i think i have gotten around 98% of them. I'll post pix later today.

Welcome :) Ive also used Tamiya putty, bondo and automotive and Tamiya primer to fill the airbubbles, but the pinholes resulting of the sanding were just too tiny to be filled by any of them, Future took care of them as it's water thin (and no sanding recquired :D) !

Yeah, Simon, I found drilling them right out was the only way to go. What did we get to last week, btw? 39 deg. C I think? Toldja.

Tell you guys what though, we had a club meeting about a week or two back, we had three or four of the kits there and as I remarked then: you wouldn't have gotten a solid casting this size as good as these ten or fifteen years back, for love nor money.

Gene - thank you for the incredible pictures. Wow!

Another one for areas pitted with lots of tiny bubbles, where you dont want to be sanding like a madman, is auto primer, mixed to Talcum powder, it really works, and is very light, so a fine rub with a sanding sponge, does wonders.
Primer spray fillers too (high build primers), swear by them, its a lot of work having to flat/polish it back in, but worth it as again, you can get away with using the finest of flatting grades, so you dont take anything out the resin.

lee

Okay, sorry for the bad pic, but it was what lighting conditions permitted atm. I'll try and reshoot a few pics tomorrow. Just wanted to show off the progress... though... with this quality... basically only the rough stuff can be seen... so... maybe I should have waited... oh well...

6ohmuY8.jpg

Last edited:
Usually when I photograph what I sculpt it often doesn't look like what I'm seeing when just looking at the piece, but this picture shows the sculpt as I see it when looking at it, so that's pretty pleasing.

I was worried about getting the face right. That's usually what stops me and it really took a long time to get it right, with a long time not even daring to sculpt on it, until I felt confident enough to try for the likeness. Overworking tends to overdo things, so I sculpted, then stopped and then basically said that was it, baked it, then realized that his face was a little skinny, so I added very little to either side of his cheeks and it helped seal the likeness, so, I baked him again and this is the current progress. The rest should just be detailing on the back, mid-section, pants and boots, and then finishing the arms. Then it should be done and I don't expect all that to take as long as it has taken to get to this point.

Now... who is the best option for molding and casting this piece and how do I make sure it can withstand shipping?

Thanks for the suggestions on possible moldmakers and casters (producers?). At the current rate I hope to have the body sculpt, if not also both arms, finished by the end of next week. I'm switching out some stuff I'd done in super sculpey to apoxie sculpt, which meant a slight set-back, just to ensure those parts wouldn't fall off during a potential shipping.

I just can't do the molding and casting... otherwise it would probably have been best to do it here.

More to come soon.

Yes, I know. Overconfident. And a month later I haven't gotten further. Been too busy with new job and trying to get into a new routine with that... and having a deadline on another sculpt with still lots to do. It's just difficult to pick it up and do a little here and a little there... but hopefully I'll be done soon, potentially risking people getting bored and tired of waiting. Sorry.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back