ANH Pyro X-Wing References - Mainly: Red 6 Search

Sadly, with a new work and other sculpts and projects piling up I may not be able to finish this anytime soon. Anyone want to take over the sculpt and all the rights to reproduce it?

It would be nice to see the 'failed' footage someday, wouldn't it? Would make a great blu-ray extra. Won't happen, I guess. :(
One year later, and the unfortunate prophesy has come true.

(No footage of failed pyro X-Wing explosions in ANH in the Blue Ray extras release):darnkids

Seriously - they sport "hero-level" paint work. MULTIPLE colors on panels. Decals. Layers of weathering. Sharp masked lines...
pyroherodirtykneeslookatthese.jpg

Does anyone have this picture saved anywhere? I was looking for pics of the red 3 pyro and the link is broken.

One year later, and the unfortunate prophesy has come true.

(No footage of failed pyro X-Wing explosions in ANH in the Blue Ray extras release):darnkids

Eh, this is why my SW-related spending goes EXCLUSIVELY to fellow fans these days, and not a cent goes to Lucas. They trickle stuff out as if they don't actually have more unpublished material than they could conceivably print, but they do; I know people who've seen the compactuses (compacti?) They still insist on re-re-re-reprinting the same tired photos in new publications, and pad out the space with just a few new shots, often printed at postage-stamp sizes. To this day we have no high-res versions of the tabletop shots, or the sunglasses shots. The only test footage that has seen the light of day has come from a board member, and home movie BTS footage was released by a former ILMer.

There is no way I'll buy the BRs. I have half an idea of what they COULD have put in if they weren't so damned dysfunctional.

Sadly it'll only happen if Weta buys out Lucasfilm. :lol

There's a ton of pics of that one I just saw posted elsewhere - It's pretty unique - different engine cones and red markings. I've never seen it before, but it's being called Grant McCune's. Perhaps he built it for himself back in the day?

John Eaves on Facebook:

This x-wing was constructed in1978 from pyro parts from the Death Star battle. All the parts are original all though there was liberty taken when putting this one together in the paint scheme and especially with the back of the wing guns.. Pat McClung put this together for the Lobby display for Apogee While he was working on Star Trek the motion Picture..

Ah, interesting. I didn't know the history of it. I saw it on facebook too, on the "Visual Effects before CGI" group page. There are about 12 pics of it there, enough for someone to do a replica if they wanted. I saved them of course!

It's a great group besides that, lots of great discussion and references posted all the time. I'd suggest those who haven't discovered it check it out.

So I just ran across about 20 photos of a pyro X-Wing that I did not take. Not sure how I came to possess them. Not sure it is worth while to post them this looks like it might be at Grants shop. i wonder if this might be one of John Eves early rebuilds. IMG_0974.JPGIMG_0975.JPGIMG_0976.JPG

Last edited:
Tried to upload the photos last night but the upload failed. Will try again tomorrow after I use the scanner at my office. Today is right out sorry.

Thanks Hopson.

It would be great if you could post these shots. Would love to check those scribe lines against John Eaves piece.

-emojo5

Maybe someone here will know exactly what it is. I think these were given to me when I originally started work on my rebuild that turned into Scott's kit. I can not remember who gave them to me. My explosive casting has the droid strip embedded in the casting so this must be generations ahead of mine. I will try and get them up soon.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back