Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

The helmet...(sorry for the sideways images - they were normal when I took them)

View attachment 656602 View attachment 656603 2016-08-20_231318401_028C5_iOS.jpg 2016-08-20_231324009_1DF1D_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-08-20_231333275_0D9FA_iOS.jpg
    2016-08-20_231333275_0D9FA_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Very odd part of the helmet - a huge gap between the lenses and the helmet... I can stick my whole finger through the gap. You can see how far back the lens is situated.

2016-08-20_231216609_5BC34_iOS.jpg 2016-08-20_231229100_19D9F_iOS.jpg 2016-08-20_231205876_53E22_iOS.jpg

Just looking at the sniper knee pic..... could you post a pic of the other shin?
I've got a bad feeling about this.

It looks to me like the misnumbering (is that a word) problem that I've only just got rectified may been passed on to the completed ensemble.
more pics would help.

Just looking at the sniper knee pic..... could you post a pic of the other shin?

It looks to me like the misnumbering (is that a word) problem that I've only just got rectified may been passed on to the completed ensemble.
more pics would help.

Was thinking the same thing...

Continuing...

Shin1.jpgShin2.jpg
Both shins...proper perspective, now...

Attachments

• 2016-08-20_231114261_92D83_iOS.jpg
    2016-08-20_231114261_92D83_iOS.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
  • 2016-08-20_231114261_92D83_iOS.jpg
    2016-08-20_231114261_92D83_iOS.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 117

more pics would help.

Actually, in the pics I've seen posted of the completed ensembles, Anovos has them assembled correctly.

Quite ironic, given that their own assembly instructions were wrong for the kits.

Continuing...

View attachment 656812View attachment 656813
Both shins...proper perspective, now...

The pic of the shin on the right is showing me the easiest detail to describe, the top detail should be the same height on both sides.

The shin on the left (with that same top detail part covered by the sniper knee) also shows the clearer "edges" running down by both sides of the cover strip.

It should only be like this on one side, (opposite sides) of each shin.

The way they have been supplied to you is exactly the way that I had put mine together as per "my" instructions, and "my" sticker placement.
This was pointed out as wrong much earlier in the thread and coincidently was exactly what I was posting about just before you showed your delivery pics.

Just trying to help.

SpaceBob, I think you're right, in this case, actually. Interesting, another completed ensemble I've seen photos of IS correctly assembled. Perhaps they've fallen victim to their own lack of QC on the labeling side?

The shins are also not properly trimmed to the cover strip in front. They're spaced too wide. I'm not certain whether they trimmed the bottom edges or not, but if those are untrimmed, another telltale giveaway of improper assembly is the bottom edges should be slightly different on each half, once assembled, so the longer edge should go to the inside of the ankle on each leg.

Easiest way to see whether the shins are correct is to place BOTH shins on the ground, side by side as if you were wearing them, and take a good overhead shot of them, showing the curves. Then the proper curves in relation to the other can be seen more easily. It's a subtle thing, so if one is a little out of position it becomes harder to see. But the inside edge has a higher "lump" to accommodate the shape of a normal human leg's calf muscle, while the outside edge should have a more gradual curve running the whole outside of the leg.

20160501160126-b70e068b-la.jpg

Last edited:
kman
Your above post is spot on with the description of the human calf and how it should relate to the parts.

As you can see on your picture it is still hard to see because of the apparent symmetricality (that's not a word) of the left shin in the photo (right shin on wearer).
I think this particular calf half was lost in translation by Anovos regarding this interpretation of Brian Muir original sculpt.

This is how I understand it after lots and lots of looking on many build threads and the knowledge that Brian Muir would have done exactly as you say regarding human physicality.
I believe it a sticker labelling problem essentially as it is obviously hard to tell the difference in the factory as well as the rpf.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Agreed, Bob.

It's hard to see, but I've become pretty good at it. As long as the photos are clear and properly positioned, it's pretty clear to me now.

Your picture there shows another little problem that I would love to address when I get my shins back together.
The lowest part of the shins where the ankle is is a lot more flared out on the screen used ones.

I am wondering if it could be heated with boiling water and then gently pushed down onto a very slightly angled cone to get the flaring.
Does anybody think this is a good idea, dangerous idea, stupid idea....what could go wrong :)

Your picture there shows another little problem that I would love to address when I get my shins back together.
The lowest part of the shins where the ankle is is a lot more flared out on the screen used ones.

I am wondering if it could be heated with boiling water and then gently pushed down onto a very slightly angled cone to get the flaring.
Does anybody think this is a good idea, dangerous idea, stupid idea....what could go wrong :)

I personally don't feel the need, but that method should be reasonably safe. Go slow... you don't want to risk wrinkling the plastic with a sharp bend, if it was to suddenly give way.

Still waiting......ordered the helmet kit October 2016, was supposed to be a Christmas gift from my wife. Hoping it still arrives, but likely won't order from them again unless it's in stock. Fingers crossed Santa shows up soon. Santa's more reliable then Anovos at the moment, he never misses his deadline. :)

We Pre-Ordered the Shadow Trooper Kit with a completed bucket back in February from Anovos, With some of the posts I saw, I was nervous. But like they said, expected delivery was Q3 2016, and sure enough it arrived this past Tuesday. It looks great, but we will definitely be getting help from our friends in the 501st and the RPF for this build. My son, the one who will be wearing the armor, I am a partial to the lighter side of the force, has decreed that the build needs to be done by April.

I look forward to this build.20160823_204404.jpg

Being a total newb to armor, is the shape of the Anovos bucket movie accurate or is the mold they are using that far off? The shape you are showing is consistent with the Shadow Trooper Bucket we just received.

Being a total newb to armor, is the shape of the Anovos bucket movie accurate or is the mold they are using that far off? The shape you are showing is consistent with the Shadow Trooper Bucket we just received.

Yes, the shape is movie accurate. The screen used helmets were wonky as all hell.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back