Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

I was never a massive fan of the Shadowtrooper, but seeing these kits arrive (and seeing a completed Shadowtrooper at a convention at the weekend) has made me insanely jealous. I regret more than ever not jumping on the regular or shadow kits when they were cheap. I made a conscious decision to wait for the FO TK kit instead, but now that Anovos have done away with their 'tier pricing', I reckon the FO version is gonna be far too expensive.

I was never a massive fan of the Shadowtrooper, but seeing these kits arrive (and seeing a completed Shadowtrooper at a convention at the weekend) has made me insanely jealous. I regret more than ever not jumping on the regular or shadow kits when they were cheap. I made a conscious decision to wait for the FO TK kit instead, but now that Anovos have done away with their 'tier pricing', I reckon the FO version is gonna be far too expensive.

The Premiere Line FO kits have been posted for a while (pre-orders only, of course). And are quite expensive, as EVERYONE predicted. It's a very complicated kit, not simple vacuformed stuff like the OT TKs. (The Premiere Line kits also include that $600 fiberglass Premiere Line helmet) The stripped down Standard Line kits are supposed to be announced in the fall, and will supposedly be considerably less expensive (standard ABS bucket, for one, and few if any accessories included) ... but still far more expensive than the OT TK armor variants, because it's still a lot more complex.

- - - Updated - - -

Being a total newb to armor, is the shape of the Anovos bucket movie accurate or is the mold they are using that far off? The shape you are showing is consistent with the Shadow Trooper Bucket we just received.

Yes, the shape is movie accurate. The screen used helmets were wonky as all hell.

Yup, exactly.

Regular TK kits are 350$ right now FYI! No soft goods but that's still a pretty good deal...

BUMP. if you ordered a BLACK SHADOW STORMTROOPER kit. and received a WHITE OT KIT. POST EM UP. this is uncalled for, my BLACK kit is scheduled for delivery TOMORROW. if it is another white kit in a shadowtrooper box. flamming will begin like hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Created an account here to tell you this just happened to me.

Ordered tk kit 5/2/2015
Changed order to Shadow trooper 7/12/2015
Charged additional shipping 8/23/2016
Received TK armor 8/30/2016

Thankfully the box was broken open when UPS delivered it and I saw the white armor and refused the package. UPS took it back and now i cant get a straight answer from anyone. They want to wait until its physically in their hands again before they ship me the correct one..... Even though if you look in my tracking it shows i denied it and its on its way back to them....

BTW Alex in customer service is borderline rude. Amanda is nice but doesn't follow through.

same just happened to me too, only recourse is to print out the RA label, send the white kit back, and hope we get the black kit we ordered, ANOVOS. WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO GOT DOUBLE SHIPPED KITS?!?!?!? to those of you double shippers. keep em if you dont get charged. twice. we whities have to send ours back first. FRACK ANOVOS

- - - Updated - - -

i read your post, and had to sign for mine first. i wasnt going to refuse it, it said 001 on box. and i KNEW it was white. so signed for it. opened it infront of ups driver. and kept it, to follow anovos chat option.

i accepted it so i had an actual physical pkg th return and get a tracking number for. once chating anovos that return tracking number. they released my black kit. i should have it friday sept 9. based on they seeing the pkg on its way back.... i did. not refuse it so i had something to return. a bird in hand is worth two in vaporware. SOMETHING IS FISHY. these boxes are a pain in the ass. almost couldnt fit it in my full sized 4 dr volvo.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been finishing mine off recently and I have a really easy fix for the stupid floppy belt problem.
I cut 2 peices of ordinary craft foam to the size of the inside off the belt.
belt89.jpg

I made neat cuts just on the inside of the belt on each side and fed the foam in. Its a little tricky but still didn't take long at all.
You need to remove that weird bit of velcro reinforcing the holster and then cut it to make a little patch that e6000's to cover the cut. :)

Last edited:
I can't beleive what a difference this has made.

It's neat enough with the patch glued in.

belt291.jpg

I was thinking about putting some foam in the centre area too, I might still :)

Well, my completed OT TK ensemble finally arrived.

I was pysched to get it at last, but my excitement was squashed pretty quickly. There are SO MANY defects, so many things wrong with it! I am seriously sad that I didn't order the kit - but I didn't think I'd have time to finish it well, and figured the manufacturer would be the best equipped to do it right. I was wrong.

The trimming is VERY erratic. Some seems okay, some is WAY off. The seams on some of the pieces butt together under the center strips, others have gaps that the strip bridges. One of the thigh pieces is only about a third glued - and there is a very noticeable crack in the center strip. The lengths of the center strips are highly inconsistent - some stick out well past the edge of the piece, others are flush, and some are even too short. And NOTHING is marked - you cannot tell which forearm is supposed to be which. The paint of the black stripes on the ear pieces was badly scratched, and there were a couple of very prominent scratches on the face of the helmet, which was poorly assembled (very inconsistent trimming on the ear pieces, trim around the neck edge is falling off, etc). NONE of the damage is from shipping - it was all obviously there when it was put in the box. I am sending the whole thing back for a refund. Supposedly, the order was delayed because they discovered factory quality control issues - was this one supposed to be one of the GOOD ones? Nope. I cannot speak for their system of putting it together to wear, because there were so many obvious defects, I never tried to put it together to try to wear it. I'm 6'2", and I still can't opine about it's suitability for a taller person.

Anovos have proven, at least to me, that they are okay with soft parts - the Star Trek uniforms are pretty reliably first quality - but their armor/hard parts are not cutting it for me. I can't speak to its accuracy to screen-used armor or anything, because there were so many obvious problems, it just went right back into the box. Buzzkill!

RRR

PS - I liked the canvas belt, overall, and the thickness/quality of the plastic seemed good. It was surprisingly flexible - much more so than my old FX armor kit. As for the undersuit, I am a slender 6'2", and the inseam of the Large pants was laughable - probably 32", and completely inflexible because the feet have stirrups! The crotch was a good 4" too low! I probably couldn't have put on armor over them if I tried. I bet the waist in the XL pants would have been way too big, though. The shirt fit okay, although the cut of it was very peculiar. I could not try on the gloves, because the fingers were stuck together on the inside by a huge glob of latex! Big disappointment, considering the cost and wait.

The feedback on the completed kits is pretty universally negative. ****-poor job, especially considering the price premium and the enormous wait.

These are good kits. The armor itself is quite good. But you have to build it yourself. MAYBE ok for a mannequin display. But usually you would still get better results (for less money, and less waiting) hiring a 501st member to build a kit, than paying Anovos to build it. (poorly)

(btw, the arms are shaped different, so there are ways to tell the pieces apart, if you know what you're looking for)

So what's the final word on this kit? I see they have the classic trooper now listed as "rouge one" here: https://www.anovos.com/collections/...tory/products/star-wars-imperial-stormtrooper for $450 and with soft goods $200 more.

Is the general consensus that with care upon assembly this armor is troopable?

Also, is the $200 in soft goods better spent elsewhere and if so where? I've read through most of this but it's a loong thread, lol.

Sorry, forgot my FISD log in and my old email is dead otherwise would post there, but in short term, thanks!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Being a noob to TK armor from what I understand all armor is troopable once built.

If your asking about 501st approval it does require some work for level 2 and 3 certification.

Check out this built thread for the work and changes as it seems to be the go to for the Anovos TK Kit.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35086-ukswraths-anovos-tk-build/page-1
Thanks for the reply. It does comfort me that it can be put together to a great product with patience.

I was sold on the armor, more so asking if I should get it with their soft goods or save my cash for somewhere else that has better soft goods.

Thanks!

I think it is misleading for the Anovos stormtrooper to be listed on the Rogue One page. Yes stormtroopers are in the film, but the costume has some pretty significant changes. The Anovos stormtrooper is an OT design.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. It does comfort me that it can be put together to a great product with patience.

I was sold on the armor, more so asking if I should get it with their soft goods or save my cash for somewhere else that has better soft goods.

Thanks!

I don't think getting the body suit or gloves is a big deal. The neck seal may be more challenging. Anovos does offer a separate one of those. I'm not sure if FISD members have neck seals for sale or not. You should be able to get the body suit and gloves from numerous stores. Check the FISD forums and the CRL for recommendations.

I would think getting the kit without soft goods is the better option, but you will need to do more work to get those parts on your own. You will probably want to replace the gloves for trooping anyway. The Anovos gloves, which are screen accurate from what I understand, get hot really fast. They are like gloves you would wear when working with chemicals.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

There's an Anovos Stormtrooper Facebook group, and numerous members have gone on to join the 501st, so yeah, definitely troopable.

Also agree that you're better off picking up soft parts elsewhere.

Sean

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back