Anyone else not liking the forum changes? (answered)

Aegis159

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok so the changes aren't all bad, but why did you take away the links at the bottom of the pages??? When I get done reading a long series of posts in a topic the bottom linkage was a very effective piece for taking me back to the top of the list!

Why was it removed?

Re: Anyone else not liking the forum changes?

You can no longer reply with just an emoticon....

Have to be at least six characters :unsure

Sometimes an emoticon is all that's necessary...

I also noticed that you can't just type in Bump, since you have to type in at least 6 characters.

When I see something nice, I like to just say, NICE! or WOW!. What more do you need to say.

seeing alot of font color code not working now...pretty annoying.

You are complaining in a transition face... how can you really expect everything to work properly? Just sound off what doesn't work, so staff can become aware of them and fix them if they decide they want to.

I don't dig the GIANT new RPF logo up top on my theme, which I chose because it was the least obvious/obtrusive looking one to use here at work. I offered for years to make a no-frills, work-friendly theme - I think I even made up the graphics and sent them in upon request once - but I've given up hope of seeing mine or any other implemented.

As Too Much Garlic pointed out, we are working on a number of aspects of the board right now, and a few things will have to be shaken out. Please keep feedback like this coming and we will continue to work on it.

Keep in mind we are on the cusp of a major upgrade to vBulletin which will render some of these issues moot, but I will work on some of the others as we go.

Ok so the changes aren't all bad, but why did you take away the links at the bottom of the pages??? When I get done reading a long series of posts in a topic the bottom linkage was a very effective piece for taking me back to the top of the list!

Why was it removed?

There is now a "TOP" link at the bottom of the page that zips you back to the top of the page. then choose from the links below the banner.
takes a minute to get used to an extra click..but, I'm alright with it..
though I do miss the drop-down box.

~BB

My Spidey senses are tingling.

Why do I feel like the RPF will be fundamentally changing soon...

To be honest the only change I'd noticed was the new mast head........I quite like it.

icon1.gif
This little icon thing is annoying me. I don't know why. I like the black space beside the tread titles better. It made finding threads with new posts easier since the
firstnew.gif
was more noticable

I could also do without seeing the 15 SW smilies that no one uses on the smilie list since it deforms the page a little bit.

Last edited:

Question: Sometimes when I quote someone or answer, the new paragraphs are insert with an asterix - for example:

bla bla...
bla bla...

is that a bug?

I didn't see anything saying that this is a "transition phase", that's why I posted the topic.

Bilbo, you could do more than just go up to the top of the page with the links that were at the bottom.

I'm also not sure whether the Off Topic Forum belongs in the sub-category you have it in now either... that is, now that you've renamed it.

I think the min reply chars should be upped from 6 to 18. I hate going through a thread and 10 of the 15 replies are lol or a thumbs up or a smile or the worst, a quote of the first post with 18 huge images and "nice" or "cool."

I liked the look of the old rpf logo personally.

Aegis159,

You are quite right that nothing has been actually posted about a transition phase, and that is probably my fault for not communicating more clearly.

The staff is taking a look at a lot of the elements to the board, from the software itself to the CoC, to the infraction system, to pretty much everything else and trying to evaluate it from the ground up to see if it is optimal and how we might improve it to better serve the community as a whole. We have been reaching out to a lot of members on an individual basis and have been receiving an overwhelming amount of feedback regarding what they feel could be improved and they have enlightened us to a number of areas that clearly need a bit of tweaking.

With this in mind, you will continue to see minor tweaks and upgrades to the site in an effort to provide a better service and platform for you to share your love of props.

Will there be missteps along the way? Surely.

Will there be some things that we implement and that don't work and we will need to take a step back on? Absolutely.

Will there be some things that we do that particular individuals do not like, but as a whole, improves the board? Yes.

Are you willing to take member input? Yes! We actually NEED your input!

Do we have an issue with you expressing your concerns publicly? Not as long as they are concerns and not just ranting and complaining, but a sincere question or concern.

Are we willing to debate each and every issue publicly? No, but as some of those we have already reached out to will hopefully be willing to tell you, we DO want your input and do want to hear what you have to say and are more than willing to listen.

I am sure those who only want to complain, spread fear, and take every opportunity to wail that the end is nigh will gladly twist these comments to their own purposes, but for those who who do want to help us make the site even better than it is today, we are listening and are even excited to hear your comments.

Bear with me, and I will try to reply individually to some of the comments and concerns that have been listed here.

I think the min reply chars should be upped from 6 to 18. I hate going through a thread and 10 of the 15 replies are lol or a thumbs up or a smile or the worst, a quote of the first post with 18 huge images and "nice" or "cool."

You nailed it. On a personal level, I am with you in wishing the limit was higher, but the recommended limit is 6, for the exact reasons you gave, so we stuck with that instead of making it higher.

I liked the look of the old rpf logo personally.

Just to be clear, the logo itself hasn't actually changed (just had the background removed and made slightly larger). The logo was generously created by dueledge, who recently provided us with a clean copy of the logo (the old one was a bit pixelated) which is why we updated it.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back