Anyone else not liking the forum changes? (answered)

Re: Anyone else not liking the forum changes?

Any idea when the COLOR tags will be brought back on line? So many signatures and past posts contain color tag codes that some are close to impossible to read now.
This was posted earlier in this thread.
Just to clarify, the reason the color coding has been taken out has to do with themes and the inability to see certain colored text under certain themes. We will work on getting the old code tag wrappers out.

ER,

Thanks for your comments. Let me try to address them one at a time.
This argument could be made for a number of the forums that weren't originally on the RPF but have been added over the years.

Replica costumes worked fine in the prop forum. Why do we need a replica costume forum?

Studio scale models and general modeling were fine when they were together. Why did that need to be broken into two forums?

One of our goals is to create a core group of top level forums that 1) gain a lot of attention and activity and 2) quickly and clearly categorize the major elements of the prop community. We feel this was the first step in achieving those goals.

Not to be dismissive, but again, this concern could be made for many collections. What if my collection contains both costumes and props or props and models? Where do I post it? This isn't a new concern based on the addition of the Screen Used forum but an overriding concern for any collector with a diverse collection. We encourage members to post their collection where they feel it fits best. If they grossly miscalculate, we will be glad to move their post for them.

Couple of things to consider here. You are absolutely right, this IS a replica prop forum... but what are we replicating (for the most part)? Screen used props. Why wouldn't we want to welcome those who have the pieces many of our members are trying to replicate? Not only is it a chance to ogle "holy grails" but to potentially learn information from them!

Also, we see the hobby changing and where there were once (and still are to a degree) hardcore screen used only people and hardcore replica only people, now there are a lot more people who have both. The lines are blurring and while there are some awesome Screen Used only forums like the MPF to pander to the needs of the hardcore screen used enthusiasts, we are trying to provide a place for those crossovers and those who are just getting into the screen used field (although we certainly won't shun any of the hard core screen used people!). The screen used forum provides more of a venue for those members and may entice newer members to venture in to the screen used arena.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether modeling vs studio scale models or props vs costumes is also segregating the community.

We aren't so much splitting up forums as we are making a new forum and providing new opportunities.

The Screen Used forum has been up for less than 24 hours... give it a chance... although I am interested to hear what other topics you feel would make a good top-level forum!

Hey Art, Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I understand more clearly on why the rpf was change.

I said, the changes seemed like a form of segregation because there is still tension people screen-used and replica prop collectors. Yes, the "lines are blurring", but the tension is still there.. There was a post recently that address these concerns of what should or shouldnt be replicated. The original poster posted a different question, but the topic seemed to change course to address these issues.

I understand now why this change was made, and it does make sense now. However, the traffic is still slow. Sometimes 2-10 people at a time are looking at it, and sometimes there are hours between posts.

"I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether modeling vs studio scale models or props vs costumes is also segregating the community."

Well, there doesnt seem to be tension between these forums. I am fairly new, and unaware of any problems between these forums. Also, I never check the scale models or studio scale models section, so I cannot give a valid answer. However, it seems like prop collectors and prop costumers fall into the same bracket most of the time. The costumer collects different props from the movie, and the prop collector may be interested in creating a costume from their favorite movie or interest.By separating the two, would make it easier to locate items.

Well, IMHO, after thinking about it for a little bit. I think any new section will have low traffic. It doesn't matter which topic is created. I know some-one suggested a "vehicle replica" sub forum, but I highly doubt that it will be more successful than the Screen-used prop section or the paper props.

Maybe a License Replica Prop Forum that will included License products from companies such as MR, FX, and other companies. However, I am not sure if this forum will be popular because it seems like the whole licensing contracts change the life of the RPF. Licensing dramatically changed the way things were done.

Also, A side note.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer every-ones questions and concerns. I know other members like to throw sticks and stones at you, but you do not have an easy job. They have to understand that you are doing this out of your own free time, and that you have to make changes that will benefit the rpf. Yes, some decisions will not work out the way you want it, but people shouldnt condemn you for a fail attempt.

ER,

Thanks for the support! Time will tell what will happen with the Screen Used forum. I fully expect it to be a slow-starter, but hope, especially as we gain new members, that it will take off.

Hey Art and Walter, I know im new here and other than the lil issue of adding friends being a bit confusing, I'm happy here and am gaining lots of knowledge!

but the "i dont like this blah blah blah" i mean the really nitpicking stuff can go take a hike. you do what you have to do, keep the RPF up and running and running smoothly and ill be happy. I aint got any complaints anyway, because i got props to build!

Revo

Revo,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Don't worry. We aren't letting the very small minority of naysayers and complainers get us down. We have a lot of exciting days ahead of us and we can't wait to get some of these new initiatives off the ground. The biggest problem right now is trying to find members, with the very specific talents we need, who also have the time to help us. We have a lot of work and not many hands, so progress is slow but we are still hammering through it!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back