Anyone else not liking the forum changes? (answered)

Re: Anyone else not liking the forum changes?

Okay, I'm editing this yet again because I'm trying to convey my feelings without making it seem like a big deal because, it's really not. It's just way too early in the morning for me to make a valid statement in 1 pass. :lol

My feelings are this:

Most of the board members, in my experience, are generally well behaved people. I don't recall ever seeing anyone throw around curse words and racial slurs to any great degree. The people here are quite mature about it.

This rather juvenile word filter to me, seems somewhat insulting to the community. It's like telling us all that we're not trusted to be mature and that we all need to be treated like kindergarteners.

If we suddenly dismissed the filter all together, I highly doubt f-bombs, sexual vulgarity, and racial slurs would suddenly flood the forum. I don't even think people would notice it was gone. Likewise if we took "***" out of the filter I'm fairly certain we would not see a rise of people call each other asses.

I'm certainly not advocating removal of the filter all together, I'm not even begging anyone to change it. I don't like this ridiculously strict version to be certain but again, it's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Most of the board members, in my experience, are generally well behaved people. I don't recall ever seeing anyone throw around curse words and racial slurs to any great degree. The people here are quite mature about it.

If people don't use that kind of language on the board, then the filter will never be applied, and it becomes a non-issue.

Thanks for responding. I still feel it wasn't needed but thats just my opinion. It probably will make some people go "well, this isn't from a film so i won't post it" but most will get around that and figure out they can post props/costumers from whatever. Even so I just don't like how it "feels".

I'm all for returning it to "Replica Props" and "Replica Costumes" besides, the descriptions themselves already have enough keywords fro search engines to pick up on.

If people don't use that kind of language on the board, then the filter will never be applied, and it becomes a non-issue.

I think the issue is that some people don't think that some of the words filtered merit being filtered because they aren't particularly offensive.
There was a word filter before right for the more colourful terms and there doesn't seem to be a serious amount of complaint that the filter before wasn't good enough why add all the new words to the list ? if it aint broke etc etc....
I guess it's just the alleged new owner stamping his authority by changing everything in sight :unsure

I think the issue is that some people don't think that some of the words filtered merit being filtered because they aren't particularly offensive.
There was a word filter before right for the more colourful terms and there doesn't seem to be a serious amount of complaint that the filter before wasn't good enough why add all the new words to the list ? if it aint broke etc etc....
I guess it's just the alleged new owner stamping his authority by changing everything in sight :unsure
Exactly. I didn't have a problem with the old filter the way it was.

So, is Art the new owner?

I'm all for returning it to "Replica Props" and "Replica Costumes" besides, the descriptions themselves already have enough keywords fro search engines to pick up on.

ES, I certainly understand where you are coming from. Just as a note, the two forums in question were originally titled "Prop Forum" and "Costuming."

While the descriptions have a few key phrases in them that are helpful, they don't hold the weight that major sitelinks (like the forum links) hold. Considering Google indexes these as subcats of the site they are pretty significant for SEO.

Agreed and as I have already pointed out, we are continuing to revisit.

Incorrect. The "filter" that was in place previously had a few random words and that was it. It didn't include several more severe words, which is how it came to our attention. So, it was broken...

Nice baiting comment. If you want your arguments to be taken seriously perhaps you should consider approaching them in a more seriously instead of hoping that wild speculation and off-topic jabs will do the job for you.

So, is Art the new owner?

ITG,

I am sorry that you fell for DST's baiting comment. I am not this mythic "new owner" nor is that relevant to the topic at hand, but it was a good discrationary tactic!

Back to the word list.

"chink" has been removed from the censored word list as has "fart."

Agreed and as I have already pointed out, we are continuing to revisit.

Incorrect. The "filter" that was in place previously had a few random words and that was it. It didn't include several more severe words, which is how it came to our attention. So, it was broken...

Nice baiting comment. If you want your arguments to be taken seriously perhaps you should consider approaching them in a more seriously instead of hoping that wild speculation and off-topic jabs will do the job for you.[/QUOTE]

Not baiting i know that's your favourite coverall line but it's not true i was making an observation.
The forum has allegedly been bought from the previous owners and suddenly there's across the board changes not just the language filter, hardly off topic in a thread discussing said changes is it ?
With regard to the word filter list you haven't just added severe words you've added all manner of what a majority of people consider mild innocuous words, was this new list compiled by the staff or was it downloaded from some database somewhere ?

Not baiting i know that's your favourite coverall line but it's not true i was making an observation.

It is baiting. If you want to discuss the word list or other updates, knock yourself out, but leave your baits and your speculation at the door.

With regard to the word filter list you haven't just added severe words you've added all manner of what a majority of people consider mild innocuous words, was this new list compiled by the staff or was it downloaded from some database somewhere ?

The word list is a compilation of downloaded words from several recommended sources that was then reviewed by the staff.

Fair enough it wasn't intended in the manner percieved but ok, with regards to the word list the staff felt all those words were severe ?

New here...even though I was accepted back in June. Been terribly busy in real life and now I get to stop by and play.

The forum looks good...not sure what the isues were but it seems to be easy on the eyes and not to hard to navigate...although it does remind me of the Skiffy boards...but colored differently...LOL!

Def have to agree on the baiting comment. If you say something that Art dislikes it is baiting. I find Art quite biased as a mod/admin. I do like the screenused section though.

Joe, it is unfortunate that you have this misperception, but I am willing to accept that as an admin I will never please all the people and regardless what I do, some will take issue with any change on principle alone or because they have a bone to pick due to an unrelated issue and are just looking for an opportunity to get in a jab, as you are doing.

Regardless of intent, DST's response came across as an insult and when he further clarified it, he injected rumor and innuendo. And just in case anyone felt that I blew off his baiting comment about a "new owner" of the RPF or ITG's follow up question, let me be clear in stating that the RPF has not been recently bought or sold (and to my knowledge has never been bought or sold). I have been moved by the existing administration into an admin position and that has creased a few brows, but any rumor about a sale of the site is complete fabrication and the spreading of such baseless rumors on this site isn't acceptable.

Sale or no sale of the RPF, there has been a shift of power and many do not like it.

Who is it insulting ?
The new owner which we've now been told doesn't exist ?.

And there you go again still insisting i was baiting even when i have explained differently, am i to assume you are baiting me by your comments now just because they are not in agreement with me ?

I had been told the rpf had been bought out, i mentioned no names, i made an observation relating the alleged purchase being related to all the current changes happening in a thread that is no less titled "Anyone else not liking the forum changes?"
I never once said someone HAD bought the forum out i said there was an ALLEGED buyout, if that was the case then clearly that has some relation to changes being made or at least it's a reasonable assumption is it not ?

Apparently this is not only baiting, it's also insulting and off topic.

Not off topic = it relates to the topic in the thread title.

Not insulting = there's nobody to insult i mentioned no names and made it clear there's an ALLEGED new owner.

Not baiting = see above.

I hope this makes the intent of my previous statement clear now ?

Welcome to the Admin Art perhaps you should learn to not take every criticism of staff decisions as a personal attack and use blanket terms to shoot down any negativity towards staff decisions.
I realise it's a privately owned board and staff decisions stand but people like to know the staff will at least take onboard members concerns and consider them and even address them in a civil manner not just accuse them and dish out warnings unjustly.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back