Attention Mods.....Open Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
see there cant even be a civil discussion about whether or not we should be able to have a civil discussion...

:lol :lol :lol

:lol

seriously if anyone has any questions as to why we should keep things the way they are... the answer IS IN this thread.

which by the way should either be locked... or archived for referance. :lol

i needed a good laugh. :p

It would be nice to be able to discuss such matters, but given the open public forum, you can see even in this thread there is some name calling. Frankly, the maturity just is not here all the time. Bring up politics, religion and sex, issues that go to core values in people and you can easily hit a nerve with some, especially in diverse large crowd.

William Bennet note such:
Much has been said and and written about America today, a general coarsening of relations among citizens has taken hold - a good deal of anger, rudness, and impatience. Sometimes it seems as if the old ethic of self restraint has been replaced with a new one of self aggrandizement.
It was not always so. For a long time, Americans observed certain rules of behavior, known as civility. As we have lost the original meaning of politics, we retain an awareness of civility. The word civility comes from the latin root civitas, meaning city and civis meaning citizen. Civility, then, is a behavior worthy of citizens living in a city or in common with others.
Thomas Jefferson noted that by observing the fomalities of civility in daily life - even against our most self regarding inclinations - we learn to control our passions, and we become mindful of how our actions and words affect others.

The art of civility requires constant application, restraining the self and acting with due regard to to others. Our founding fathers knew that universal friendship between citizens would be impossible, which is why they noted that civility is so important.

In a small forum such as here, it is easier to practice civility as we do share an common interest. Going outside of that common bond/boundry to discuss other issues stresses the civility of most people, that is human nature. The question put forth, do we want to open ourselves up to the potential of a forum that can break down the "civility" values, opinions and core beliefs that may clash with others; I can understand why the moderators would not want to open that pandoras box.

As such forums do exist in other places like the OT, I would suggest going there. Allowing the implications and problems that can occur from such interaction in a " bar" directly here could have some nasty results damaging the ties of community to this board.

I guess I just don't know why we "need" this? There are enough topics to keep me occupied on this board already. If I feel the need to see politics/religion/etc.. I have other places on the net I visit.

The RPF has always been a welcome respite to the other places on the web. I would hate to see it change.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ Feb 27 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]1428010[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthMulch @ Feb 27 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]1427861[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darkknight0667 @ Feb 27 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]1427836[/snapback]
Like the Goat says, never gonna happen.

Now, take your blue pill like a good boy and put these rebelious thoughts behind you. We don't want your "free-thinking" ways around here.
[/b]

What he said.
[/b][/quote]

When will you idiots get it through your thick head that this isn't a playground for everyone to have "their say"? If you don't like the way things are run, leave. Geez, I think you guys just want to have something to bitch about.
Funny how you hate it so much you keep logging on day after day after day.
[/b][/quote]

Prime example of why it would never work. :rolleyes

see my post at the top of this page... this whole thread is. LOL...

(borat voice) GOOD TIMES.

[/quote]

Well after posting the question, I am also tending to agree that this may not be in the interest of the majority. Thus I will console my higher power and urge other followers to come and praise his glory.

http://www.venganza.org/

And yes the above link is a paradoy and falls well within the RPF rules. :angel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apollo @ Feb 27 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]1428146[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ Feb 27 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]1428010[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthMulch @ Feb 27 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]1427861[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darkknight0667 @ Feb 27 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]1427836[/snapback]
Like the Goat says, never gonna happen.

Now, take your blue pill like a good boy and put these rebelious thoughts behind you. We don't want your "free-thinking" ways around here.
[/b]

What he said.
[/b][/quote]

When will you idiots get it through your thick head that this isn't a playground for everyone to have "their say"? If you don't like the way things are run, leave. Geez, I think you guys just want to have something to bitch about.
Funny how you hate it so much you keep logging on day after day after day.
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Why can't we all just get along? :)

Nevermind, I didn't see that this thread had been moved to the suggestion box.

My main suggestion would be simply to take care of problems as they arise, not before.

Good to see the mods taking the high ground :confused

Dropship Bob I've known you for many years and found you to be a level-headed guy. Since you became a mod here, I've seen you post in this manner several times. What gives?

As for the suggestion, it didn't work before it's unlikeley to work now. Admiitedly the restricted registration should limit members joining with little interest in props (which is what happened when it was anything goes), but in my opinion the existing OT should be a catch-all.

My suggestion would be that the mods actually moderate controversial topics, rather than just immediateley locking down threads that get 'difficult'. It seems that just about anything in which arguments break out in the OT is deemed 'political' and locked. How about occasionally letting topics run and simply editing posts that are inflammatory and warning offenders?

Isn't part of the mods job to keep threads on track rather than just keep hitting the 'lock' button?

DropShipBob -

I dont post in controversial topics here. I lay low and enjoy the membership here for the awesome community that it is. It isnt like me to even respond to a thread like this. I MUST say this, however.

You, sir, have stooped to a level that I never expected to see here. Name calling and insults are NOT what I expect when I come to the RPF. This discussion was reasonable and respectable until YOU chimed in with your childish antics.

I do not concern myself with the politics of this board or of the prop community in general. I HATE politics. I HATE sugar coating. I HATE games. As such, I am not sugar coating my opinion on this matter. You acted like my 2 year old daughter would have. I wont pretend that my opinion will make any difference in your standing here at the RPF, but your post displayed a level of immaturity and bitterness that I will never forget.

Ban me if you wish for stating my opinion. It would only prove my point further, and frankly, from what you have just posted in this thread, I expect no less. Good day to you.

To the rest of the RPF - if I dont get to say it, I have thoroghly enjoyed your company, and the discussion here on these boards.

If an "open bar" isn't gonna happen, how about a direct link to doc's RPF-OT forum? The link could be placed just below all the other forum topics. That way, if some peeps need to vent (and you KNOW who you are... ;) ) it kinda gives a more direct access to do that. Sort of an unofficial forum...

Fellow mods and RPF members,
I think I can say without reservation that I would like this topic closed. It is obvious that a private area would not work here. I had no idea that Dropshipbob was a moderator. I thought he was just another member venting. With this clarity, I will think twice about posting and go into reading only mode for a while. To bad because as a former Propmaster who has the ability to share information, I am sure there are others who just lurk to avoid name calling.......especially by mods.
Chris

When will you idiots get it through your thick head that this isn't a playground for everyone to have "their say"?[/b]

:angel

Nothing to see here move along, happy-happy-joy-joy post only...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lear60man @ Feb 28 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]1428375[/snapback]</div>
I had no idea that Dropshipbob was a moderator. I thought he was just another member venting. [/b]

IIRC, DSB hasn't been a mod here since last fall. He is just another member venting. :p

This thread is closed by the request of the originator.

As a point of clarification no member of the current RPF staff resorted to what was characterized as 'name calling.' For future reference, RPF staff are identified by a title just below the avatar. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me or any other staff member.

Thanks,

Bryan

I don't think closing the thread at this point serves anything.

It's an example of exactly what none of us want to try and moderate. It's gone less than a page and already there is another thread started in another forum calling for the public humiliation of a member who expressed his opinion here.

Dropshipbob left the staff some time ago of his own volition.

I believe his comments are derived from empathy he has for the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back