Attention Mods.....Open Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lear60man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just read that the James Cameron Discovery topic is closed for religious reasons. I understand that it is against the code of conduct and rightfully should be closed.

Like most of us I am a member of various forums. Most of these have an area that is open for topics like political and religion. They term them as 'lounge' or 'bar'. They are generally are open to members over 18 and or to members that have been active for a year or so. This way the members value the privilege of being able to post on certain topics but with the fear that they might loose the membership that they have had for over a year. Like most 'bars' there are rules about threatening behavior or closing a thread if it becomes to heated. These areas generally have a 'bouncer' who can boot an offending member out of the bar, or off the forum if they don't cool it.

Please give this idea a few days to let other members offer their opinions. I have made many friends from all religious backgrounds based on the fact that we share a common interest...props. Once the friendship door has opened, its a little easier to ask a question abouts someones faith or political affiliation without fear of offending. We have all made good friends through this board and it has grown over the years. Perhaps now it is time to allow the board to grow a little to make adjustments? Just a thought.

Well Mods and fellow members, good or bad idea?

I'd love to see this but it will never happen. I guarantee it.

I'd be surprised if this request did not get locked.

There is too much potential for bad things to happen. I agree, it would be nice in theory but I just don't think it would work for the RPF.

Like the Goat says, never gonna happen.

Now, take your blue pill like a good boy and put these rebelious thoughts behind you. We don't want your "free-thinking" ways around here.

There are plenty of forums around for politcs, religion, etc... Despite the noble intentions of a place with open discussion and dialogue, my experience is most times the dialogue degrades into name calling, hurt feeling, pissed off people etc...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darkknight0667 @ Feb 27 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]1427836[/snapback]</div>

Now, take your blue pill like a good boy and put these rebelious thoughts behind you. We don't want your "free-thinking" ways around here.
[/b]

What he said.

Your idea is nicely put, Lear60man. I especially like "Once the friendship door has opened, its a little easier to ask a question abouts someones faith or political affiliation without fear of offending." Meaning you're not going for a "battle zone" forum but a place for intelligent discussion of dicey matters.

But you're right, it would need a "bouncer" to keep it that way. I think it's a good idea but it would basically be another non-prop-related thing for us mods to keep track of, and it would likely demand more attention more consistently than any of the existing RPF forums. I fear we'd be working our butts off only to further take the RPF off mission.

We can only spread ourselves so far. ;)

Thanks for the well-thought-out suggestion.

I think the old Voodoo Lounge is all but disolved. I'll stop by once in a while, and they'll go weeks or a month without posting. Check Astanze's sig, the link might be there.

The primary function of the RPF is to discuss and collaborate on the prop hobby. Although we do have an off topic area, it too must have its boundaries so we don't lose sight of our primary purpose.

The RPF is an amazing community that serves a nitch in the modeling and entertainment memorabilia hobby. There are other fine boards out there on the net which are equally outstanding and serve specific purposes such as politics and religion for example.

-Bryan

Didn't we used to have a flame pit waaaay back in the day (and I'm talkin' about when JH and GR were still in good graces 'round these parts)?

I have two feelings about this:

1) The RPF is a place to discuss props and the OT forum is a decent enough place to discuss non-prop related issues.

2) Many of us here are adults who can intelligently discuss opposing views without resorting to name calling or threats of physical violence. I think it should be open to those of us who are over 18, have been here a while and have established ourselves as upstanding members. I don't think it would need constant moderation. If we all digitally signed an agreement to not hold the RPF responsible for anything that goes on in there, it could probably be mod-free for the most part. Of course if things get out of hand, the invested parties could contact a mod and let them sort it out that way.

Here's the thing, I can discuss politics and religion and even sex (gasp) without threatening other people. And sometimes I enjoy diverging view points about all those topics. I'd like to be able to say things like christmas, *****, Mohammed, Allah, Moses, George Bush, democrat/republican/hippie and boob or weiner without someone complaining that they've been offended.

But maybe that's just me being concerned about freedom of expression.

-Fred

At the Trek Prop Zone we too have a general discussion thread, but we require you to keep your political and religious beliefs and opinions were they belong, within the walls of your home and within your heart.

I LIKE THAT.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UFP-1701 @ Feb 27 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]1427939[/snapback]</div>
At the Trek Prop Zone we too have a general discussion thread, but we require you to keep your political and religious beliefs and opinions were they belong, within the walls of your home and within your heart.
[/b]

I like that.

Bbich and Treadwell,

Thanks for keeping this open for an intelligent discussion among fellow prop collectors. Ultimately the decision will be up you in the staff but at least you will have an idea if this is something the members want. I am sure it would be easy to find a well established and respected member who would like to volunteer as a Bouncer. His/her decisions could be final as to further entrance into the 'lounge". I travel the world in my job and get the opportunity to meet people of all countries and cultures. I was thinking about the members who only link to other countries might be the computer. It would be cool to have 2 guys who are into say lightsabers able to discuss the differences in their political affiliation. I met a cab driver in Bejing last fall who was unfriendly. That was until I noticed an old R2 sticker on a box on the floor. Long story short all I had to say was 501st and Stormtrooper and we talked about everything from George Lucas to George Bush.

Thanks again Mods, lets see where this goes?
Chris

I've gotta say....as much as I enjoy talking politics, etc., I can't see anything but headaches coming out of it.

Even if a "bar" forum was moderated, there would still be "leakage" from one forum to another. Even now, when something remotely political is discussed, it brings about a hailstorm of strong opinions and mudslinging. Why have a forum created entirely for debate, particularly when there are TONS of other places to discuss political leanings and religious teachings?

Personally, I think we've got enough debate around these parts as it is. :angel

On the other hand, I do think that we should be able to discuss certain topics in the OT forum....a good example is the topic you posted regarding the Cameron film. As someone who's fairly into anthropology, I'm interested in the find, and would'e liked to discuss it on the playing field of a legitimate acheological discovery. I don't think it really demands much moral fisticuffs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthMulch @ Feb 27 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]1427861[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darkknight0667 @ Feb 27 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]1427836[/snapback]

[/b]

What he said.
[/b][/quote]

When will you idiots get it through your thick head that this isn't a playground for everyone to have "their say"? If you don't like the way things are run, leave. Geez, I think you guys just want to have something to bitch about.
Funny how you hate it so much you keep logging on day after day after day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ Feb 27 2007, 09:00 PM) [snapback]1428010[/snapback]</div>
When will you idiots get it through your thick head that this isn't a playground for everyone to have "their say"? If you don't like the way things are run, leave. Geez, I think you guys just want to have something to bitch about.
[/b]
Forgive me here....is this meant to be sarcastic, or serious? I mean, damn.

No one's complaining about how the forum is run; the guy just wanted to bring up a simple matter. No reason for, again, the name-calling.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ Feb 27 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]1428010[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

:eek

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ Feb 27 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]1428010[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthMulch @ Feb 27 2007, 05:52 PM) [snapback]1427861[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darkknight0667 @ Feb 27 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]1427836[/snapback]

[/b]

What he said.
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I thought you had put me on your ignore list? Apparently, it's not working anymore. You might want to get that checked.

Obviously, though, you're one of the people that can't even have a discussion about having a discussion without resorting to name calling that the staff is trying to protecting us from. Good thing you're not one of them anymore, huh? We'd have quite a conundrum then, wouldn't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back