Banned Member Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris,

Now that you said that, I am absolutely certain that you are out to get me.
:lol:lol:love:lol

Yeah, we try and do our best. Their truly is no conspiracy. But I think with the size of this forum (as with all bigger forums I think) some people inevitably think that others are out to get them. :(

Wow..some paranoid folks around here.:lol
I think the process is fine. I am not nosy nor do I think a mod conspiracy exists.
This is a message board, not a courtroom, I just can't lose sleep over the potential for power abuse.:lol

Don't be so quick to assume that it can't happen here.

Almost three years ago, there was a member named moogiebaby who was perma-banned by the mods.

Not because he had done something worthy of a perma-ban, but because, IIRC, they assumed he would eventually.

The general consensus among the staff was that no matter how many warnings or mini-bans you would receive, you would never change your ways. As a matter of fact, your show was a big hit over here! So, while you were interesting in being cute and playing games, we weren't. Hence we cut to the chase and saved everyone a lot of time.

No kidding.

http://rpfotforum.yuku.com/sreply/6533/t/Lonnie-Don-t-worry-I-started-it-for-you-.html

Almost three years ago, there was a member named moogiebaby who was perma-banned by the mods.

Not because he had done something worthy of a perma-ban, but because, IIRC, they assumed he would eventually.

I have to ask where you came up with that? I'm not being sarcastic but that is SO not the case. I wasn't a mod when he was banned but man, that is SOOOOOOOO not the case.

Chris,

I don't know you or this moogiebaby, but I think you're off base on this.

Is Lonnie (rokacteer25) one of youe mods?

Did you read his words at OT Fourum.

He admits that ban was against CofC. No?

Why would you believe for a second that what the mod staff wrote was the truth, especially when one of them says that it isn't?

Ask anyone who was around at the time.

Go to this link and read truth from your fellow mods.

RPF OT not on Invision board. It was place where people could speak truth about RPF without fear of being squashed.

Read for comprehension and be open-minded. You will see.

http://rpfotforum.yuku.com/topic/990

Tranh.

Last edited:
Chris,

Not to rehash the past but Tranh is actually right.

Moogybaby was actually preemptively banned. Worse yet he was actually banned because he was an active opponent to AA and AA's recasting of MR's stand and blatant falsehoods. Lonnie went over to the RPF-OT and admitted that the staff banned him because they believed that a temp ban would be a waste of time and that Moogybaby would never change. Their theory at the time was it was better to just ban him than wait for what they considered the "inevitable".

It is stuff like that which causes the levels of distrust in folks like DK and myself.

Don't be so quick to assume that it can't happen here...
Still not worried about it and think the concern is an over-reaction.:)
One three year old "debatable" example out of how many members does not make for the typer of wide-spread concern you seem to be preaching.
If I was that worried about abuse of power someplace I was a member, I am not sure why I would be there. I guess for me if I felt that way I would not be here. But that is just me, I don't have a problem with this, or think that changes need to be made.

The beauty of an open community is you are welcome to that opinion :thumbsup

By the same token, DK, myself and others are welcome to question the status quo in an effort to make what we view as improvements :thumbsup

That is the nice thing about free and open discussion. :)

I'm not worried about abuse of power at the RPF. While conflicts have happened in that past, including some really stupid political playing around between cliques (of which I was sadly part of), for some time now and overall this forum has been run very well. And honestly for the past couple years this place has been excellent with a very good level of tolerance and control (think SDS threads! :p).

Bannings have to happen, they are necessary at times, and are never easy decisions (except in certain endless sockpuppets).

I was thinking about the posting of the last "straw that broke the camel's back" in the Banned Members thread. I don't think it would really do any good because one part of a conversation really will not show the context involved.

As for moogybaby, sorry Ghost That Walks but you really don't know all that happened. He was banned for a lot of reasons, a lot of members were really upset by his actions, his attitude, and his attacks on people. He contributed nothing but caused lots of disruptions, insults, and just seemed to thrive on conflict.

Being a moderator is a tough job, and being a fair one is even harder at times. Frankly having been a moderator at one time I can say that I really appreciate what these guys do and how much time they put in, especially when the conflicts occur and they have to make a hard decision.

Why are these kinds of threads always started by the same small group of people? Still, from what I can see, this thread shows a couple of sockpuppet accounts that can be removed, so in that since it served a purpose. :thumbsup

To respond to your post, Tranh (Tom), enjoying your time on the RPF is real simple... follow the posting rules and be respectful of fellow members.

IIRC, Moogy had multiple chances to change his ways. I believe he had just come off a temp-ban (promising to be nice) along with LA when he immediately starting taking digs at the staff and other members. He was just too arrogant to see that all he had to do was back-off. I'm not sure how many times he had been temp-banned or warned or whatever, but he was given plenty of chances to do the right thing.

Tranh (Tom), below you will see some quoted sections of the CoC which you agreed to when you joined (again) the RPF. It has all kinds of wording about being respectful and civil towards other people.

3. Forum posting conduct:
Communicate with fellow members of the community in a respectful manner. Please also show all artists (including licensees) the respect their hard work deserves by expressing your opinions about individuals, companies or their products in a civil and constructive manner.
a. No flaming/bashing/baiting (making insulting criticisms or remarks to incite anger) others directly or indirectly is allowed at the RPF. Posts of this nature will be edited by a Staff member and threads locked and moved if this occurs.
b. No trolling (making posts with the intent to stir up trouble to incite disruption) is allowed at the RPF. Posts of this nature will be edited by a Staff member and threads locked and moved if this occurs.
Section B. Behavior Modification By Choice

It is based on the belief that we all are here for the primary desire to discuss props and share our collecting experiences with other members. A common interest has brought us to this forum. Respect for each other is relevant to the flow of information and opportunity to enhance one’s collection.

Though this forum is family-friendly, it is primarily patronized by adults. Adults are responsible for the impact of their own actions. Therefore the guidelines are structured to elicit mature behavior through adult choices. This behavior plan is based on the member making the appropriate choice based on personal priorities. RPF members are given a number of opportunities to consider whether certain behavior exhibited through posting is more important to them than continued membership at the RPF. Only when all other notices and appeals have failed will a member’s long term access to the forum be affected. Only when all other notices and appeals have failed will a member’s long term access to the forum be affected.

In EXTREME CASES such as fraud, threats, recasting etc., the RPF Staff may omit any or all steps in this system.

It is always an unfortunate circumstance when members of the RPF community commit actions that warrant their accounts being suspended. A thorough investigation and lengthy discussion is conducted by the entire Staff when such matters arise. The RPF Staff is not at liberty to publicly discuss the private matters of those who have had their accounts suspended/banned, and we will continue to work hard to make this community a family-friendly atmosphere for all. Posts regarding suspended/banned user accounts and the circumstances thereof will be deleted. Should you have any questions about the Terms of Service or Code of Conduct, please send those via PM to a Staff member.

You'll also notice that it says that in extreme situations, the staff may omit steps in order to serve the greater good of the RPF. I think Moogy fell into the "etc." of that category. After umpteen chances, his arrogance got the better of him and he was booted. Soon after, he ran into all kinds of trouble with the law. Hopefully, that is all behind him now and things are looking better for him.

Bottom line, it is real easy to enjoy the RPF. Play nice, be respectful, and talk about props. I'd guess that of the 5,500 members of the RPF, maybe 20 have any kind of infraction points. The staff is pretty lax in handing these out. Knowing these guys, they'd probably just as soon talk it out with the member first. Still, if you've got one, you know it.

Last edited:
Yep. I've had two temp bannings in the past eight years and I admit I deserved both. I was definitely way out of kilter on the first and lost my usually calm temper in the second. And still I felt the staff did the right thing, like when your boss knows you're upset and says to step outside to take a deep breath.

The problem is some people go outside and forget to inhale. :lol

Always love the sockpuppets!

sockpuppet.jpg

Why are these kinds of threads always started by the same small group of people?
Maybe because that "same small group of people" is populated by folks who are smart enough to recognize potential problems and care enough about he place to want to make it better, believe that rational discussion can work toward the betterment of the community and aren't aftraid to raise a question, in spite of the fact that some people automatically dismiss them (thankfully, unlike some earlier mods, some of the current staff comes to the discussion with an open mind).

I believe he had just come off a temp-ban (promising to be nice) along with LA when he immediately starting taking digs at the staff . . .
He asked about "Bridge on the River Kwai" props and photos and changed his icon to one of Alec Guinness from the same movie. A subtle poke at the staff? Maybe, but hardly what could be called a ban-able offense under a reasonable regime, Lonnie.

Being a moderator is a tough job, and being a fair one is even harder at times. Frankly having been a moderator at one time I can say that I really appreciate what these guys do and how much time they put in, especially when the conflicts occur and they have to make a hard decision.
Sorry, I don't think it is as hard as all that, Mike. The hardest parts would be the detective work tracking down IPs and such for sock-puppets. As far as meting out forum justice goes, preemptively banning someone is not a letter of the law type thing. Sorry, I am not going to defend Moogy's trolling ways, but I have to jump in and say that IF a person was truly banned because of something he MIGHT do again, that is a bit of BS right there.

As far as taking digs at the staff goes, this entire thread could be construed as taking digs at the staff. Were his "digs" overtly offensive, or did they insult one of the staff's "delicate" sensibilites? Was it truly only the "River Kwai" nonsense? If so, that is pretty thin.

As far as taking digs at the staff goes, this entire thread could be construed as taking digs at the staff.
I have to disagree with you here, Qui. There haven't been any digs at the staff at all. There were some legitimate questions raised and some civil debate and even some suggestions for the betterment of the board, which all seems to have been taken in the spirit in which it was intended by the staff.

In fact, the only thing that could possibly be taken as a "dig" was my scenario of the party at Jay's house, which I purposely made as absurd as possible so that nobody could construe that I was accusing them of anything.

Lonnie a nice attempt to "spin" history but I'm sorry it was a preemptive ban no 2 ways around it.

As a side note, why do people always assume a dissenting voice is a sockpuppet? I assume you are saying whoever Trahn is, that he is a sockpuppet for Moogan. Who is the other you allude to? I wonder sometimes if we don't nuke innocents in our rush to unmask sp's.

Lastly, Lonnie that is pretty crappy the way you post his real full name. IIRC wasn't Winston Wolf (another mod) just on PropSummit crying about how inappropriate it is to post full names? Shall we post the full names of all mods? At least they are here to defend themselves. You need to edit that.:thumbsdown

Lonnie, thought you might have forgotten the Coc so went and reviewed it for you. As per the CoC section 2, item...

h. personal information of someone without their consent (email address, phone number, street address, or full name)
personal information of someone without their consent (email address, phone number, street address, or full name)

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you here, Qui. There haven't been any digs at the staff at all. There were some legitimate questions raised and some civil debate and even some suggestions for the betterment of the board, which all seems to have been taken in the spirit in which it was intended by the staff.

In fact, the only thing that could possibly be taken as a "dig" was my scenario of the party at Jay's house, which I purposely made as absurd as possible so that nobody could construe that I was accusing them of anything.
My point is that a mod who has been having a rough day could construe questioning the all powerful authority of the mods as an affront, or dig. A poster who was having the same "rough day" could also be hair trigger, report someone who may have come off insensitive to that person and there we go again. The preemptive banning thing is pretty low, and if Rockateer25 were responsible for that type of behavior, I am glad he is no longer part of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back