Batarangs?

Bizarro Lois

Sr Member
Let me just say how blown away I am by some of the projects I've seen on this forum. My experience is mostly in costuming my own stuff for conventions and Halloween, and custom action figures. So I've been inspired to try my first actual prop - a comic-style batarang and maybe some of the small ones like my DC Direct 13" Batman holds between his knuckles. I'm sure I can handle the sculpting and I have some experience making molds and casting. I used the search feature and have found several great batarangs made from resin or metal, as seen in the movies. I was just wondering if anyone can recommend any other materials to try making it with? If I use resin, is there something I should use on the inside to bulk it up and make it sturdier? I have a few other things to work on before my work table is clear enough to start working on this, so there's time for research. Any help would be appreciated.

Another question about the mold. I don't think I've ever sculpted anything that has no "bottom," like a flat surface that sits on the table and doesn't need to be shaped. I'm assuming I'll need to do a two-part mold. Will I need to sculpt and cast the batarang halves separately and then attach them/recast as one? That seems like a lot of waste. Is there a better way to do this? Maybe sculpt one side, cover it in silicone or other molding material, then flip it and sculpt the other side. I think I could then make the corresponding side of the mold. Any tips on how to handle this effectively?

If the batarang has no relief features or anything, it could be flat and then you'd only need one side of a mould that you filled with resin.

If you are sculpting lumps and bumps into it, if you make the design rotationally symmetrical (so in this case, left side of the bat is the same as the right side of the bat), you can get away with only sculpting one half of it (front or back) and using that to make a two part mould. As it's symmetrical, you can make the same mould twice, flip one around and you've got your complete shape.

When you make the two part mould, carve out a groove upwards on one side which will be your pouring hole and another hole next to it which will be your "exhaust" hole, for lack of a better word. Clamp both your moulds together and pour in the resin and you should get a solid batarang.

I hope this is making sense?

It does sort of. I'm used to molding small pieces with brush-on latex. I've never had to leave an exhaust hole, or a groove like that. Do you mean put the groove in the sculpt itself, or would it work if I work a straw or something into the mold around the sculpt, like a channel for the resin to come through?

Normally with two part moulds that are going to be filled solid, another channel in addition to your pouring channel will allow air to escape as you fill and avoiding bubbles. When the part is cast, you'll have two spurs that need trimming off. Incorporating a straw into the mould is what I meant, sorry.

You can make the mould out of brush-on latex then thicken up the skin with layers of jaycloth or plaster bandage also wetted with latex. Sort of like how you'd make a mother mould out of fibreglass for a silicone glove mould. Not sure of the number of pulls you could get from a latex mould over silicone though.

I know that latex will degrade over time. But since this is my first try and I already have latex handy, that's what I'm going to work with. If it turns out well, I'll probably invest in silicone and use it for the next project, which I'm already thinking of. I plan projects way too far in advance.

If you have latex handy, by all means. A few good layers to get all the details, and then strips of cloth and more latex to make a harder shell, just like fibreglass if you've ever used it. I first saw this method on XRobot's Iron Man build and he's got really good results from it. A much cheaper alternative to RTV silicone.

It's good that you do plan ahead, ideas are some of the most difficult things to have sometimes. I know I've got other projects I'd like to start but have to finish the current one or I never will.

A little OT but no need to open a new topic to ask this :

I have a screen accurate Synaps bat shuriken, which represents the one Bruce is working on in his workshop.

It is thick, heavy and looks 100% spot on.

But on his first night out and later in TDK, he uses bat shurikens with beveled edges and a slight curvature in the middle.

Batman Begins first night out shuriken (beveled edges, slight bump)

The Dark Knight shuriken (beveled edges, slight bump)

He also has larger ones, as seen on top of the drawer :

In Batman Begins they look brownish/brass and more like a light gold color in TDK (same color as his belt).

He also sports slightly larger folding shurikens, but these seem to be identical in both BB & TDK : Gold, folding, bump, beveling, seam.

The Noble Collection version of which seems to be quite accurate, so i'll go for this one.

I only need to find the non-folding ones, with bump and beveled edges. Can someone point me into the right direction ?

Thanx :cool

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back