Baylan Skoll / Shin Hati Dark Jedi Costumes - Ahsoka (Series) Star Wars

Thanks! At first, most people would ask if the costume was from an Old Republic game. But by noon when we were out at the Galaxy's Edge park, I would have random people come up and excitedly call out Baylan Skoll. And then the somber discussion about Ray. But it felt great to contribute to sharing in his memory of his last great character. I saw at least one person trying to subtly take a photo of me. :) Its funny they were trying to be sly about it as I wouldn't have cared and they could have even gotten in on it. So there may be some images floating out there in the wild. Here are the close ups of the pauldrons and the gauntlets, in case anyone is solutioning these also. The Pauldrons were printed in 3 pieces. the top section was two and then the guard over the bicep was the third. A lot of prime, sand, bodo, prime and sanding went into merging the top two pieces. But man did that bondo make it strong. You can see how I attached the top to the bicep guard as well as the velcro that I used to attach to the shoulder of the vest so it was hidden from sight. The bicep guard(?) I used waxed thread through the holes and then adhered them to the inside of the upper simply with some of the soft side adhesive velcro. (it was 2am and we flew out at 9a, so I used what I had a ton of) I also cut a thin strip of that soft velcro to line the bottom edge of the top part of the pauldron so the bicep guard didnt bang loudly when moving my arms. The hand guards, seen in between the pauldrons, I simply sewed the rough side of the velcro to a neoprene Under Armor glove and adhered the soft side on underside of the hand guards. Again, doing this allowed me to remove these to eat easier. I still looked ridiculous trying to get fork to mouth with the gauntlets on. Wife had a good laugh. The gauntlets proved more challenging to stay in place. cloth wrist guards with velcro held the gauntlets to the cloth, but couldn't get clothe skin tight, so they sagged on arms. So I created a hinge system with you guessed it, velcro. The shoulders turned out great, and velcro was totally hidden in the 3rd image. Had soft side of velcro facing toward skin and used the rough side to "bridge" the velcro under the vest and under the pauldron. Lessons I learned from the gauntlets were numerous. For starters, sizing was everything. But even with the gauntlets being slightly too small at 100% scale print, the hinge solution did work, albeit a bit scratchy from all the velcro. Also, the gauntlets were printed as 4 pieces, 2 on top and 2 on bottom. Its noticeable when you zoom on images where the seems are. Friends didnt notice when they were on me, but I knew they were there. I also made the mistake of sanding, cleaning and painting before realizing I had forgotten to merge the 2 pieces together. So with only 3 days left, I had to put them together, tape off 2" on either side of the seem, sand down the finish paint, bondo, prime and repaint that area and seal it. I would start with these being only 2 pieces, front and back. Then I would also take the area where I think it will end up being LEDs on the gauntlet and custom carve out a place for the apple watch on one and the Disney Magic Band on the other. Because, man that was a pain in the ass to constantly pull the Magic Band out of one of the only pockets I had on that thing. Possibly, run that waxed thread from inside the gauntlets up under the arm sleeve to attach inside shoulder of vest to keep it from falling. movement isnt bad, but the sliding down forearm, it kept rubbing on the top part of the hand guards. A lot of decisions were made based on shortened timeline. If I had found the 3D printer at the 30 day out mark, I could have addressed nearly all of this. Im guessing for those of you that this isn't their first rodeo at making costumes, you already knew most of this. :) Also, 30 days wasnt enough time for me to grow a beard as magnificent as Ray's in the show, that being from when my wife and her friend told us we were actually able to book the Starcruiser and when we went. It was still an amazing time and this time around nearly everyone at the Starcruiser was dressed up vs half of the people last year. You could tell everyone that was there knew it was their last and boy was it a party. Saw one dude drinking the Krayt Reactor, a special drink meant for 4 people in the Sublight Lounge, by himself. I had half of that thing and was feeling it (pictured below, had long hair last year). The Sublight Lounge bar tabs on that last night were insane.
image.jpg

My beard is the first thing that drew me to this character. I was planning on putting it together as soon as I saw the first trailer!

Funny! My past woes about the general lack of blonde Star Wars characters is what makes me required to do Shin, or else I have to eat my many pairs of just-slightly-different Rebel boots.

View attachment 1727821
My beard is the first thing that drew me to this character. I was planning on putting it together as soon as I saw the first trailer!
I wish I could grow a beard to play this part. Yours is fantastic!

The Starcruiser experience sounds perfect. What a great place to wear a Baylan costume.

I appreciate the details on your build. It's those little things that will help everyone make their out costumes.

Funny! My past woes about the general lack of blonde Star Wars characters is what makes me required to do Shin, or else I have to eat my many pairs of just-slightly-different Rebel boots.
We're going to hold you to it! Can't wait to see your finished costume.

San Diego Comic-Con displayed Baylan and Shin's lightsabers. There's already some good 3D printing designs floating around out there.

Obviously, there's a thread on The RPF:

The Star Wars twitter account put out some new character posters today:
View attachment 1726663
I've been trying to discern some of the tiny details shown in the picture that was posted to Twitter. My goal is to get all the information needed to make a screen-accurate version. Here are my thoughts...

BaylanNumbers.jpg

1. I think the tunic may be leather. Possibly even a couple different types of leather. The central piece looks smooth and the others a bit suede. Hard to tell.

2. The belt sits on top of a piece of fabric that looks doubled over. I'm pretty sure the belt clasps in the back. There's one shot of the back and the tunic clearly has a zipper/closure down the back. There's a couple looped pieces on the belt that I bet are covering a clasp.

3. I 'think' the main tunic is on top of a fabric shirt. The sleeves look to be fabric and there's cord lining the junction where the sleeve would be. It wouldn't surprise me if the tunic is armless. This is bolstered by the collar. Look how the cording around his neck. This feels like it would be the same at the arm hole. I think it's a shirt under a tunic.

4. The train (not sure what to call it) looks to be made of a rough fabric. Different from the tunic or the shirtsleeves. Of course, it's hard to tell from one picture, but that's the impression I have.

5. The hanging leather belt is mimicking how medieval ring belts are looped and tied. However, there's no ring on this belt and it's so perfect/not bunched up, I'm positive it's purely a decorative add-on that is probably riveted to the horizontal belt.

6. He has a ring on his glove. How cool is that?

What are your thoughts?

I've been trying to discern some of the tiny details shown in the picture that was posted to Twitter. My goal is to get all the information needed to make a screen-accurate version. Here are my thoughts...

View attachment 1728267

1. I think the tunic may be leather. Possibly even a couple different types of leather. The central piece looks smooth and the others a bit suede. Hard to tell.

2. The belt sits on top of a piece of fabric that looks doubled over. I'm pretty sure the belt clasps in the back. There's one shot of the back and the tunic clearly has a zipper/closure down the back. There's a couple looped pieces on the belt that I bet are covering a clasp.

3. I 'think' the main tunic is on top of a fabric shirt. The sleeves look to be fabric and there's cord lining the junction where the sleeve would be. It wouldn't surprise me if the tunic is armless. This is bolstered by the collar. Look how the cording around his neck. This feels like it would be the same at the arm hole. I think it's a shirt under a tunic.

4. The train (not sure what to call it) looks to be made of a rough fabric. Different from the tunic or the shirtsleeves. Of course, it's hard to tell from one picture, but that's the impression I have.

5. The hanging leather belt is mimicking how medieval ring belts are looped and tied. However, there's no ring on this belt and it's so perfect/not bunched up, I'm positive it's purely a decorative add-on that is probably riveted to the horizontal belt.

6. He has a ring on his glove. How cool is that?

What are your thoughts?
1. There "appears" to be less difference between them in the lightened shot offered below your post -- I put appears in quotes, because in these digitally prepared, oddly lighted, promo-type pieces, there can be all sorts of tricks on how fabric looks. There does, sometimes, appear to be a variance in shininess, but that also seems to change throughout photos so, right now, that'd be up to you and your preference.

2. The large loops in the back of the belt sure don't seem to be doing anything else at this point. It also somewhat looks to me like those hooks along the back of the tunic at least appear to be closures. Looks to me like I can see a little lump between each.

3. The main tunic, in my opinion, is either certainly on top of a fabric shirt OR you should do that anyway. You see this in superhero costuming ALL the time in order to assist with movement in these kinds of outfits with less forgiving material along the chest. In fact, with the dark shadows at his pit (and play on where the fabric might look different), I'd venture you could even do a fabric shirt which includes the last two "v"s on his tunic. Then lay the chest part on top which ALSO includes attached pauldrons, which will then anchor with the straps along the bicep. After years of costuming, though, I'm just a huge sucker for splitting things into manageable pieces now for comfort/movement/restroom/etc, so I won't pretend I'm focusing on exactness.

4. I would call those his skirts. They hang pretty heavy and seem to have unfinished edges, like Shin's - except hers look more fabric shredded sometimes. I'd have to look again. His sleeves also look pretty thick to me, though.

5. The belt looks like that loop is definitely just smacked on in place to me.

6. Dang. Cool looking. But all I can think about is how thick that would feel on your finger, hahah.

Maybe waxed canvas? It emulates leather on camera. Depending on how heavy the wax layer is, it can give a pull up effect where it looks cracked or lighter color where the material flexes.

1. There "appears" to be less difference between them in the lightened shot offered below your post -- I put appears in quotes, because in these digitally prepared, oddly lighted, promo-type pieces, there can be all sorts of tricks on how fabric looks. There does, sometimes, appear to be a variance in shininess, but that also seems to change throughout photos so, right now, that'd be up to you and your preference.

2. The large loops in the back of the belt sure don't seem to be doing anything else at this point. It also somewhat looks to me like those hooks along the back of the tunic at least appear to be closures. Looks to me like I can see a little lump between each.

3. The main tunic, in my opinion, is either certainly on top of a fabric shirt OR you should do that anyway. You see this in superhero costuming ALL the time in order to assist with movement in these kinds of outfits with less forgiving material along the chest. In fact, with the dark shadows at his pit (and play on where the fabric might look different), I'd venture you could even do a fabric shirt which includes the last two "v"s on his tunic. Then lay the chest part on top which ALSO includes attached pauldrons, which will then anchor with the straps along the bicep. After years of costuming, though, I'm just a huge sucker for splitting things into manageable pieces now for comfort/movement/restroom/etc, so I won't pretend I'm focusing on exactness.

4. I would call those his skirts. They hang pretty heavy and seem to have unfinished edges, like Shin's - except hers look more fabric shredded sometimes. I'd have to look again. His sleeves also look pretty thick to me, though.

5. The belt looks like that loop is definitely just smacked on in place to me.

6. Dang. Cool looking. But all I can think about is how thick that would feel on your finger, hahah.
1. There's really going to be no way to tell until the costume is put on display somewhere. Any variation anyone wants to do is going to look the same. I'm guessing that they used very soft/thin leather for the chest because it looks good in closeups and fabric for the skirt because it flows better when moving and fighting.

2. You're spot on. I didn't look close enough before. In sewing those are called frog or toggle closures. The leather triangle looks to be added on top of an existing closure, maybe somethign like this. This looks like an outfit that one cannot put on alone!!!

3. Agreed. The pauldrons have a leather strap around the lower part, so I'm sure the top of it connects to the tunic. They are not connected to the shirt.

4. Yes, pretty thick and textured. If you zoom in it's clearly a rough fabric. Similar to Kylo Ren's.

5. Worst part of the costume. They look awful.

6. I thought the same. That ring must be HUGE.

Maybe waxed canvas? It emulates leather on camera. Depending on how heavy the wax layer is, it can give a pull up effect where it looks cracked or lighter color where the material flexes.
Very possible. I hope not because it's a big headache.

Hi
Ive been researching and building this costume since Celebration.
Im based in UK and am 2 days younger than Ray was.
I have had unofficial but from source confirmation that Baylans costumes is all suede.
Words used were, ' im under an NDA but I can confirm its all suede'.
Im in the process of building my second tunic, first was a mock up in canvas to practice stitches and make up etc.
Next im using micro'suede to see how it mocks up.
Ive got the armour printed and mostly base painted.
Saber printed with a core but it seems a little short.
Belt I will make up from two pieces, look like they are stitched together along the edge and double layered like the Bo Katan multi layer.

I wanted to thanks everyone for the good quality shin stills in here. I’ve been working on a shin cosplay this month and the references have been essential. Mine is off for sure but I was just trying to work with options.

I used a fringe/gray instead of cord for the vest and now I wish I had used cord as it’s probably going to end up being like Baylan’s vest, but it’s too late now!

After mine I’ll be sewing a Baylan for my husband, but thankfully I wont need to use stretch fabric for his!

Attachments

• IMG_4048.jpeg
    IMG_4048.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 209

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back