blickfangQ2- Iron Man XLV Mk 45 Build (3D Printed)

blickfangQ2

Hi,

I recently bought my first 3D printer and have big plans for it. I really want to have an Iron Man Statue so I thought I’ll give it a try.

The suit of choice is the Iron Man Mk 45 from The Avengers - Age of Ultron movie.

I really love how it looks. :)

I started with the left hand plate and will work my way up the shoulder:

IMG_5052.jpg

My printer underextruded and the walls are way to thin (I have a lot to learn) to fix it, I used some resin to make it stronger...
IMG_5054.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg

Wood filler to avoid sanding the thin abs plastic
IMG_5077.jpg

I applied it with my fingers. It works quiet well but it’s good to have a nail brush nearby to clean the finger from time to time.
8033E914-E594-4BD3-B0D6-B8E104CAB114.jpg

EC8F0889-53BC-41DD-AD5C-FE886498D075.jpg

First coat of spray filler.
IMG_5085.jpg

Some more wood filler and sanding
IMG_5092.jpg

Another coat of spray filler :)
IMG_5093.jpg

So, I printed the left forearm:
IMG_5082.jpg

Had a loose gear so less filament was pushed through the nozzle what results in very thin layers. Luckily I can pause my printer, fixed the gear and resumed (top 3 cm are thicker)

IMG_5101.jpg

Print came out quiet bad and I had to reinforce it with resin and fill the thin part.

IMG_5103.jpg

Sandpaper on a Dremel at very low speed can help clear out detail lines.
IMG_5106.jpg

This looks like a very strong start. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! :) I hope I’ll get more experienced on my way!

A little more progress:
IMG_5107.jpg

After fixing the bottom half, I headed to the rest of the forearm: wood filler is a good companion :)
IMG_5109.jpg

Sanding again with 120 grid Paper
IMG_5122.jpg

And a coat of filler primer... looks like I did nothing at all :( all these lines... I think I need to repeat the last steps a few times.
IMG_5129.jpg

Sanding and last coat of primer:
IMG_5159.jpg

The next day I sprayed the first layer of selenitgrey (a Mercedes color)
It is a crazy color, very bright and dark depending on light intensity. The two pictures are 10 seconds apart [emoji7]
IMG_5163.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

The next day I sprayed the first layer of selenitgrey (a Mercedes color)
It is a crazy color, very bright and dark depending on light intensity. The two pictures are 10 seconds apart [emoji7]
That's an awesome color, thanks for sharing that! Looks like all the filling and sanding lead to an awesome finish too.

Thanks guys!
Here is a bit more progress...

I forgot to print a small piece and now had to weld it together:
IMG_5191.jpg

Fixed it with some tape:
IMG_5192.jpg

And welded it with a soldering iron and a flat tip:
IMG_5193.jpg

Temperature around 200 Celsius is printing temperature. But it took to long so I worked with 250 Celsius:
IMG_5194.jpg

Worked perfectly and is rock solid!
IMG_5195.jpg

IMG_5197.jpg

Update
Printed all the small Details that will go into the forearm:
IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

Next masking:
- I can really recommend FrogTape... worth every penny.
- with sharp knife you can cut along the seams and create perfect results!
- masking is a lot of work and defines your results, so take your time! It took me about 2 hours is this case
IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5215.jpg

IMG_5216.jpg

Hello blickfangQ2,
your pieces look great.
I am also from Germany and struggle to find the good products to hide or fill the print line and to fill/prime 3D printed parts. Could you please make a short list of the products you are using. I can already identify some on your pictures. Maybe you could include the hardware store where you bought the stuff.
Thanks a lot for helping a beginner.
Johan

Hello blickfangQ2,
your pieces look great.
I am also from Germany and struggle to find the good products to hide or fill the print line and to fill/prime 3D printed parts. Could you please make a short list of the products you are using. I can already identify some on your pictures. Maybe you could include the hardware store where you bought the stuff.
Thanks a lot for helping a beginner.
Johan

Hi Johan,

I bought everything on Amazon but I haven’t figured out yet wich products are best for what task and wich products I’ll keep. So I’m not sure if I can already recommend things...

What exactly do you need?
Sebastian

Great work!
Threads like this one are motivating me alot to work on my Mark VI

Thank you [emoji4]

I did some Acrylic weathering and detail lines enhancement:
IMG_5274.jpg

For everyone who uses Ford Sunburst gold:
black Acryl seems to stick to it a bit too well... haven’t wiped away the paint overhangs fast enough and have stains now where I didn’t want any... water and soap didn’t work at all on the gold. I’m thinking about repainting the gold

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back