Interest Book of Eli Machete

What kind of machete do you want for your collection?

• Steel (a real, functional edged weapon)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Aluminum (hero)

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Plastic (background)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I recently picked up a production made machete blank from the Book of Eli. We spent a lot of time trying to determine the correct dimensions in the past and @Miketribal cut some incredible real steel machetes for us from it. However, as well as we did, those machetes weren't accurate in a number of areas. Now that I have an original in hand, we can make them exact. Here is the question: we have three choices in material and I only plan to use one. Mike made real steal (very sharp) machetes. While these are extremely nice, they are potentially dangerous and to the best of my knowlegde, there was nothing like this used in the movie. In the movie there were hero aluminum machetes (with a false edge) and they there were plastic machetes (what my blank is made from). There were also rubber machetes but I have no interest in producing those. I have NO idea on pricing but I want to see 1) how many are interested and 2) what most people want. My assumption would be that real steal machetes would be the most expensive, aluminum next and plastic the cheapest. So, look above this post and vote to let me know what you would be interested in. If there is enough interest, I'll take this to the next step and see about actually getting pieces produced.

bool-of-eli-machete.jpg

Plastic will be the most accurate in terms of a faithful replica to the original you have, since you'll just be molding and casting. A metal replica has a lot of variables when grinding the edge. Food for thought :)

I don't know that we would ever simply cast it, unless we were doing rubber. I don't know how you would cast this in a solid material and it come out really well... but then I am not a casting expert.

A couple of opportunities may have opened up today which I am pretty darn excited about. Will share more when I can.

Well, I am pretty excited. The real steal version of the machete is off the table (at least for us) as I just made a deal with Britt from Black Starr Knives to produce accurate copies of the real machete. I am still considering aluminum or plastic copies, but will let someone with the talent for it (Britt) handle the real thing.

Hi Art,

Good news! Does that mean that we should go onto Black Starr Knives website and order the machete there or will it be availbale through RPF? Any timeframe on the aluminum or plastic version?

Hi Art, is this project still on the cards, or should I shelve my dream to own a screen accurate machete? ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back