Breakdown of the Ahsoka Live-Action Phase 2 Captain Rex costume

Rexermus

So to preface, this breakdown was done by CobaltGreen1138 on Twitter and I'm posting it over here for the RPF for any of you who may be interested can see (especially those of you who don't have/use Twitter), I have their full permission to compile it into one post here on the RPF, as they do not have an account on the forums. Link to the original thread: twitter.com/CobaltGreen1138/status/1775806837306331242 (Be warned it's 55 tweets long lol). Because this breakdown is so long and has so many images for reference I'll be breaking it into 2 posts. First post will be the helmet and colours.

There are already some inaccuracies built into the base as it was built off the rushed BOBF armour (around 40 by Cobalt's count). But let's get into the Rex specific inaccuracies & some accuracies:

Rex's Phase 2 helmet is of course a Phase 2 base with a Phase 1 T-Visor welded on along with the breathing tubes from a Phase 2 BARC helmet. Aside from the self-explanatory weld lines it includes a rangefinder.
Helmet Details.png

In The Clone Wars TV Show, when we see Jango's helmet (both in person when Boba rigs it as a trap and when Jango's armour appears in a hologram on Kamino) he has the standard Clone Trooper rangefinder, letting us know that clones use the same rangefinder and what we see in TCW is simply another case of stylization. For the most part Ahsoka gets this right, but for some reason adds an extra step (Which I assume is supposed to make it a bit more faithful to TCW but we know that it's supposed to be stylized).
Rangefinder.png

Rex's Jaig Eyes were lifted straight from Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art for Boba Fett all the way back in Empire. Since Jaig Eyes were never portrayed in live-action there's more room for interpretation. TCW opted for an angularized interpretation, while Rebels opted for a more faithful interpretation. The Ahsoka show did a variant that's almost in-between the two but leans closer to TCW.
Jaig Eyes.png

Speaking of the Jaig Eyes, the artist painted them too high on the Ahsoka helmet, so to make up for the empty space between the brow and Jaig Eyes he added a scorch mark that is reminiscent of Boba's helmet dent right under one of the Eyes.
Scorch Mark.png

The Ahsoka helmet does not feature the grey temples from the RotS helmet and instead has plain white temple indents. Rex's Rebels model does have the grey temples meaning that he presumably didn't paint them in white himself and this is an error for Ahsoka.
Temples.png

The Clone Wars Clone Trooper helmets do not feature the black brow detail that was present on both Phase 1 & 2 Clone Helmets in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Rex's helmet should have the black brow present in live-action and not painted over in blue, as no Clone Trooper in ROTS with a full visor stripe painted over their brow, neither did the officers in AOTC have their command stripes paint over the brow.
Black Brow.png

Fanart by: Talon Newton

In The Clone Wars, Rex's helmet is heavily weathered. There's noticeable yellowing on the TCW model that the Ahsoka helmet retained (though it's difficult to see on the poster because of the lighting). One bit of weathering that was faithfully carried over was some missing paint on the brow (though to me, TCW looks more like chipped paint vs scratched paint on Ahsoka)
Weathering.png

One thing that the production team got correct is that Live Action Phase 1 T-Visors have rounded corners where the two ends meet and form the stock, instead of the straight/angular lines TCW used in their stylized version.
T-Visor.png

In Revenge of the Sith the dial on the back of the helmet has approximately 90 ridges (according to Cobalt's count) as well as an indent that is like a ÷ symbol. Neither of these details are present on the Ahsoka helmet cast (Cobalt's theory is that these details were normal maps on the RotS CGI models so they weren't carried over when creating the molds).
Rear Dial.png

When it comes to Rex's weld lines, Ahsoka for the most part lifted them straight from The Clone Wars and placed them directly on Rex's helmet. The lines are raised and look like real weld lines on metal. The brow and earcaps weld lines no longer connect however. The nose welds are also not painted over and have exposed oxidized metal.
Weld Lines.png

Another detail the Ahsoka team remembered to include that wasn't present on TCW models but on RotS models, is the rear black vent. Which FBFX did not include on their Obi-Wan Kenobi helmets.
Black Vent.png

The breathing tubes in Rex's cheek indents are intended to be the same ones from BARC Helmets seen in ROTS. In Ahsoka, the production team recreated the simplified cylinders instead of the more complex geometry used on Clones like Neyo in Revenge of the Sith.
Breathing Tubes.png

(Wolffe wears a stylized BARC helmet in TCW)

Phase 2 Clone Trooper helmets have 9 dark blue heat dispersion vents in Revenge of the Sith, whereas the Clone Wars animated Phase 2 helmets have 6 black dispersion vents instead. Rex's helmet for Ahsoka has The Clone Wars animated version instead of the proper ROTS version.
Heat Vents.png

Not entirely about the Ahsoka Rex helmet, but loosely relates. For The Clone Wars Phase 2 helmets, Rex's mouth grill is smaller and his chin vocoder is slightly different than the rest of the Clone's. Cobalt believes that it is a stylistic choice to make Rex (even more) unique compared to his fellow Clones, thus making the Ahsoka mouth vent accurate.
Mouth Grill & Vocoder Grille.png

ROTS and other realistic Phase 2 chin-sections are larger than TCW allowing for a longer chin stripe. For the TCW model, Rex's stripe is straighter with a less pronounced taper. When painting the Ahsoka helmet the artist decided to do a significantly more noticeable taper that mirrors the shape of the nose section of the visor.
Chin Stripe.png

The original vocoder grille has one part that is white on the original Episode III helmet, however the Ahsoka piece is cast as a singular piece entirely in black. Most likely because it was easier and faster than casting in two parts or painting part of the piece.
Vocoder.png

Final helmet detail: the neck seal. For Revenge of the Sith, the Clone helmets had rings around the base that acted like a neck seal. Of course, because the Clone were all CGI, there was no consideration as to how a human head would fit past this ring but cosplayers found several work arounds (clamshell designs & removable pieces). For all the live action Clone helmets the neck seal was completely ignored, either because they didn't want to have to deal with it or they couldn't figure it out (more likely they didn't want to).
Neck Seal.png

Onto the 501st unit colours: None of the post-RotS TV Projects correctly do a 1:1 representation. All 4 have different shades of blue for the 501st compared to the original Revenge of the Sith colours worn by the 501st. Rex's Phase 2 armour has a different shade of blue compared to the rest of the 501st but Cobalt believes this is an animation error that was never corrected (I'm inclined to agree as the visor stripe is supposed to be carried over from his Phase 1 helmet and his Phase 1 model had the same shade as the rest of the 501st as well as his Phase 2 reference sheet).
Colours.png

Last edited:
Part 2:
This breakdown was done by CobaltGreen1138 on Twitter and I'm posting it over here for the RPF for any of you who may be interested can see (especially those of you who don't have/use Twitter), I have their full permission to compile it into one post here on the RPF, as they do not have an account on the forums. Link to the original thread (starting at the Pauldron): twitter.com/CobaltGreen1138/status/1775807184976359459 (Be warned it's 55 tweets long lol). Because this breakdown is so long and has so many images for reference I'll be breaking it into 2 posts. Second post will be the Pauldron, Torso/Arm Painting & Kama.

First, let's go over some of the history of the Clone Trooper pauldron. When Hasbro first created the Clone pauldron they took the mold for their Sandtrooper pauldron and moved the pouches from the shoulder bells to the black section of the pauldron and added it to the ARC Trooper figures.
Hasbro Pauldron.png

Gendy and the rest of the Micro Series team included ARC Troopers but when adapting the pauldrons heavily simplified them and stylized them. This was still supposed to be based on the Sandtrooper pauldron & pouches.
GKTvO6KakAAU-tY?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

George thought the ARC Troopers had cool accessories so he had them included on Bly and the 327th, but Alex Jaeger at ILM changed the style to a flatter and more angular style.
327th Pauldron.png

After Revenge of the Sith, most depictions of the Clone pauldron remained faithful to this design.
EU Pauldron.png

Until, The Clone Wars 2008 show. When creating the 3D model for Rex and his pauldron the team directly based their stylization on the 03 show. Every Phase 1 Clone officer who wore a pauldron had this stylized version.
TCW Phase 1 Pauldron.png

In this BTS featurette for The Clone Wars, Dave Filoni confirmed that this pauldron was intended to be a stylized version of the RotS pauldron.

Eventually, we got to Season 3 and the introduction of the Phase 1.5 (aka ARC Trooper Program) armour, which introduced a new style of pauldron. Double breasted symmetrical pauldrons that were softer and not as angular.
GKTzEknbAAAm8Kf?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

When it came to toy companies recreating the Phase 1 pauldron and the new ARC pauldron, the Phase 1 was faithful to the Ep.III pauldron, while the ARC pauldron was still very similar to the stylized TCW model.
Realistic vs ARC Pauldron.png

Once we got to the Umbara arc, Rex was finally updated to Phase 2 and we got a variant of the ARC pauldron that single-sided with a larger shoulder piece and a collar on the back.
GKT28BhaAAEFKLP?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

However, we know that this was not a unique pauldron that Rex wore and was simply the stylized version of Bly's Revenge of the Sith pauldron, as he had the exact same pauldron model as Rex when he appeared in S7 of TCW. But Hot Toys ignored this and pulled the TCW pauldron straight from the stylized animation and slapped it on their realistic Rex figure.
S7 vs Hot Toys.png

Now, we finally get back to Rex's Ahsoka pauldron. Instead of pulling a Hot Toys, the crew decided to take the TCW Phase 2 pauldron and make it reminiscent of the ANH Stormtrooper pauldron.
Ahsoka Pauldron.png

Moving on to Rex's arms & painting, the bicep & elbow armor is backwards and on the wrong arms. The Topps trading card edited his biceps to be correct.
Ahsoka Biceps.png

Because Rex's original concept was edited onto a 327th Trooper, Cobalt believes that the bicep stripes should be a diagonal offset stripe instead of a straight vertical stripe.
Bicep Paint.png

There are a few errors with Rex's forearm armour. Firstly, instead of being a normal stripe half of his gauntlet is painted blue. The base of his compad is painted blue while the buttons are white, but in TCW it's all blue. This is however more consistent with ROTS and Rebels because they are pure white in those media. He also has an extra tally mark for some reason.
Gauntlets.png

Quickly, Rex's torso features weld lines on the front and on the back. Presumably the main section of his torso armour was intended to be Phase 1 as it was the bulkier version while the inner corners would be the lighter Phase 2. TCW didn't feature the rear weld's however Rebels did and then Ahsoka included the rear weld lines.
Torso Weld Lines.png

Finally, the kama. Another little history lesson: the original Hasbro kama was a 1 piece Snowtrooper kama with buckle, pouches & straps like Scout Troopers. Tartakovsky again simplified this design in his show by removing the buckle & pouches. And again ILM reinterpreted the CWMMP design, this time the buckles and straps were much more simple and the kama was given a v-split in the back.
Kama History.png

And for TCW the Kama was split into 2 pieces for ease of animating. And as before, S7 confirms that the split-two piece kama is supposed to be the complex v-split with buckle and straps kama as we see Bly wearing it.
TCW Kama.png

Both Ahsoka and realistic Rex toys ignored this and used the split kama design void of the buckle and straps.
Ahsoka & Toy Kama.png

Quick little tidbit, the ARC Kama included the pouches and straps without the buckle, but Hot Toys and other realistic toys/collectables make them different from the RotS for some reason.
ARC Kama.png

And to finish up: the DC-17 holsters. TCW used simplified plain versions of the Ep.III holsters. Most toys get it right, but Ahsoka went with the plain Clone Wars holsters instead of the correct RotS version.
Holsters.png

Again, thanks to CobaltGreen1138 on Twitter for doing this huge breakdown and letting me post it here on the RPF for the rest of you to read. There are a few more details and even some mock-ups included in the thread that I decided to not include, if you have a Twitter account I highly recommend you go over and read their thread in it's entirety.

Last edited:
I have never used Twitter, and I never will. There are some things in CobaltGreen1138's breakdown that I don't agree with.
In Revenge of the Sith the dial on the back of the helmet has approximately 90 ridges (according to Cobalt's count) as well as an indent that is like a ÷ symbol. Neither of these details are present on the Ahsoka helmet cast (Cobalt's theory is that these details were normal maps on the RotS CGI models so they weren't carried over when creating the molds).
View attachment 1807223
The only helmet from ROTS I've seen having ridges on the "dial" is Gree's, and that one was different from the norm also in other ways. I'm not saying that there weren't other ones. However, the second image from the left above is a screenshot from the scene of a 501st trooper meeting Bail Organa: In that scene the dial can be seen in good resolution, and it is obvious that it is smooth and has no ridges.

In the Tested video of the BoBF/OB1 suit, we don't get to see the back of the helmet. But we do see a 3D model that is supposed to be that suit, and the dial on that is smooth ... and lacks the ÷ detail.
The Hasbro Black Series Clone Trooper helmet does have the ridges though.
Phase 2 Clone Trooper helmets have 9 dark blue heat dispersion vents in Revenge of the Sith, ...
Phase 2 Clone Trooper helmets in Revenge of the Sith have painted-on tube stripes, like on Stormtrooper helmets in the original trilogy.

Some texture maps have the blue paint chipping. Weathering is laid on top. In some pictures there is a specular highlight across a tube stripe. These details indicate that they were meant to look painted-on, not to simulate vents.
Onto the 501st unit colours:
Colour matching is difficult because of different lighting, colour grading, and various other parameters.
To match a physical helmet, you'd need access to a helmet and a book of Pantone swatches.
I think it would be interesting to know if perhaps Lucasfilm licensing would have specified a Pantone colour to merchandise licensees.

I agree that P2 clone helmet dials should be smooth. The Master Replicas helmet has the back smooth and they used the Lucasfilm asset.

is this from a toy? the biceps look like they are on backwards. I see a lot of reviewers for 1/6 scale clones do this for some reason. It's my favorite thing to see that and watch them discuss accuracy of the sculpt.
Ahsoka Biceps.jpg

I have never used Twitter, and I never will. There are some things in CobaltGreen1138's breakdown that I don't agree with.

The only helmet from ROTS I've seen having ridges on the "dial" is Gree's, and that one was different from the norm also in other ways. I'm not saying that there weren't other ones. However, the second image from the left above is a screenshot from the scene of a 501st trooper meeting Bail Organa: In that scene the dial can be seen in good resolution, and it is obvious that it is smooth and has no ridges.
As Janglesworthy pointed out, Anovos has the ridged dial on their helmet. Also Cobalt send me some higher definition screenshots of when the 501st stop Bail Organa from entering the Temple that show the ridges are very obvious.
Dial 1.jpg

Dial 2.jpg

As for Master Replicas not having the dial ridges, I believe that's because the ridges are normal maps and not polygons directly sculpted onto the model and MR used the un-mapped model. Remember the Clones in both AOTC and ROTS are completely CGI armour from 2002 & 2005
Phase 2 Clone Trooper helmets in Revenge of the Sith have painted-on tube stripes, like on Stormtrooper helmets in the original trilogy.

Some texture maps have the blue paint chipping. Weathering is laid on top. In some pictures there is a specular highlight across a tube stripe. These details indicate that they were meant to look painted-on, not to simulate vents.
Ultimately this point is inconsequential, as just because something was done purely for aesthetic reasons behind-the-scenes doesn't mean Pablo Hidalgo and/or other Visual Dictionary authors won’t turn it into something functional in-universe lol. As it stands the tube stripes are supposed to be heat dispersion vents in-universe both for Legends and Canon regardless of what the designers at ILM intended for them to be and how they made them. For the Andor suit, FBFX made the stripes vent cutouts.
Heat Vents.jpg

Colour matching is difficult because of different lighting, colour grading, and various other parameters.
To match a physical helmet, you'd need access to a helmet and a book of Pantone swatches.
I think it would be interesting to know if perhaps Lucasfilm licensing would have specified a Pantone colour to merchandise licensees.
This would be a point, if the Clones weren't CGI in ROTS. There's no physical paint from Revenge to colour match, it's a texture applied to a 3D model. It would be as simple as using a colour picker tool on the original texture file, and the converting the Hex to a Pantone, which Pantone offers as a service themselves.
is this from a toy? the biceps look like they are on backwards. I see a lot of reviewers for 1/6 scale clones do this for some reason. It's my favorite thing to see that and watch them discuss accuracy of the sculpt.
View attachment 1807696
There the same photo used on the poster. All I know is that Topps photoshopped the original publicity photo, not sure where they got to correct orientation biceps and elbow pieces.

Last edited:
Those lines are so small depending on the angle of the shot, distance from camera they will completely vanish. Maybe they would turn off those maps to decrease rendering time depending on distance from camera. Either way I would include them in helmets.

To my eye the holsters look bigger. At least they seem to cover more of the DC-17. (Which is also longer?)
Definitely bigger and bulkier. Weird that they didn't go with the Battlefront 2 realistic DC-17 design, meaning there are technically 3 live-action versions of the DC-17

Looks like in the actual show and promo poster for Rex they put his elbow pads and bicep pieces on backwards. So I guess that makes him a hipster. Actual product made of him for hot toys however has his armor on correctly.
972930f8-87e1-4cb7-9100-65dcf7253bb9.png

f70339d8-d777-42e8-a420-bdf3b2bd25c9.png

Rexermus Can this be posted on the 501st Clone trooper Forums, I would like to see what discussions those guys input on these discoveries. If you have permission to post it there as well, and don't have an account, I can post it if need be.

Rexermus Can this be posted on the 501st Clone trooper Forums, I would like to see what discussions those guys input on these discoveries. If you have permission to post it there as well, and don't have an account, I can post it if need be.
Cobalt is very much okay with it being shared over on the CTD, and I'm okay with you posting for me. If you want to just copy and post my rewrite that's totally cool too. Just make sure to credit Cobalt and preferably link back to their account and the original twitter thread

Cobalt is very much okay with it being shared over on the CTD, and I'm okay with you posting for me. If you want to just copy and post my rewrite that's totally cool too. Just make sure to credit Cobalt and preferably link back to their account and the original twitter thread
Posted as copy paste with foreword stating I get no credit for any of the research.

The Twitter video isn't working. If you need a direct link to the tweet in order to add it to the post I can share it as plain text. Other than that it looks good
I posted the link, i havent been able to get it to post the tweet like it is here, I'm not sure if its possible with their forum system

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back