Interest BTTF 3 - Marty McFly's Cowboy Bandana

TheNickFox

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This has been a project I have had on the back burner for a while due to the fact that I could never find a good, local screen printer to handle this job. But with my recent move to New York City, I'm basically surrounded by good screen printers. (Some within walking distance!) So I decided it was time to see if there was any interest.

DSC_0826.jpg

For years, if you wanted to be Marty McFly you were stuck with an orange puffer vest and whatever jean jacket you could find. Then there were more and more options letting people dress as 2015 Marty, but 1885 Marty's costume is still VERY elusive It's a very specific costume, with a very specific bandana to match. I'm here to fix the first part of that so that this elusive costume can slowly start to come within reach.

I've worked from a matching bandana from the original manufacturer, in the wrong color, to develop a high quality digital file of the entire pattern of the bandana, and now I have a screen printer that I've been talking to who is on board. The only question is are you in?

Based on the Printer's minimums, I need to get about 25 people on board to make this happen. The price will be $25 + Shipping. So let me know if you're interested and I'll add you to the list, and just to make it that much easier to hit the minimum, I'm counting myself in the list. 1 down, 24 to go.

THE List:

1) ME!
2) director89
3) EmmaInCandyland
4) JKRIB
5) Davidsjferguson
6) Roland
7) OUTATIME1978
8) spiderstella
9) halliwax
10) Ultra Lord
11) Nostalgic
12) doriang
13) LTsmash1200
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)

-Nick

Last edited:
I'll be in for one please!
Consider yourself added.

A question for everyone: The original bandanas had a small logo on one edge that the screen printer doesn't want to copy for potential legal reasons. So would you prefer a similar looking logo with my own words there, or just no logo at all.

It's VERY small, and either will look great. Personally I prefer the logo with my own words on it just so it looks as close to the real thing as possible without infringing copyrights. But I'd be interested to hear what you have to say...

-Nick

One thing I forgot to mention in my rush to get this bumped on my way out the door for work this morning:

If we can get 11 total people (Including me) at $25 + Shipping each, I'm more than happy to get the ball rolling and eat the cost of any additional bandanas I need to get printed to meet the minimum. I just want one of these so bad, and the only way to do that is to do it in quantity.

-Nick

I'm thinking about buying the new Marty BTTF3 costume from HC. Estimated availability is on September 30.

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/back-to-the-future-cowboy-marty-costume.html

It's not 100 % screen accurate in detail and I guess, the quality of the material will be very poor. But it's for display only and the overall impression isn't bad. If I could replace at least the bandana by a more accurate one, it would be great. So count me in for one. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• back-to-the-future-cowboy-marty-costume.jpg
    back-to-the-future-cowboy-marty-costume.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 1,032
Added you, Roland and OUTATIME1978.

What I find really interesting about the HC bandana is that they CLEARLY saw the original design, but then decided not to do certain things that make the design look right.

It's like they started trying to make it match then got bored and just made things up. :lol

My design on the other hand...I can't even count the number of hours I put into matching the proper pattern.

As for the quality of the bandanas, the HC ones, as far as I know, are digitally printed (possibly only on one side, but I haven't confirmed that) on thin material. My printer has a "bandana guy" that he says can get any bandana I want. So the quality should be as high as any bandana you would buy off the shelf...plus the printing will all be done as silk screening, on both sides. So in short my bandanas will be pretty darn awesome.

-Nick

for 25 dollars this banana comes complete? or is it just the fabric and we have to cut and hem the edges ourselves?
$25+shipping will get you a completely finished bandana with screen printed pattern on both sides. I could easily bump the price up higher, but I'd rather keep it accessible to more fans.

Let me know if you're interested.

Sounds good.... I'm in :) put me down for one please
Done!

Just a few more people and I'll give the printer the word to start burning the screens.

-Nick

$25+shipping will get you a completely finished bandana with screen printed pattern on both sides. I could easily bump the price up higher, but I'd rather keep it accessible to more fans.

Let me know if you're interested.

Done!

Just a few more people and I'll give the printer the word to start burning the screens.

-Nick

beautiful! if i could join the run count me in!! i only asked because i have NO sewing skills what so ever

This is all very good stuff. I might be interested, but I have some car repairs to pay for before I get back into buying more props. I do have a question though. Are you thinking about making the blue one he wears with the poncho? That is also a costume I've never seen done. A website used to sell inaccurate ones, but they are sold out forever now.

This is all very good stuff. I might be interested, but I have some car repairs to pay for before I get back into buying more props. I do have a question though. Are you thinking about making the blue one he wears with the poncho? That is also a costume I've never seen done. A website used to sell inaccurate ones, but they are sold out forever now.
I don't have shots of it in my reference folder anymore, but I could likely dig them up. If memory serves the bandanas were made by the same manufacturer. I'm not sure we'd be able to hit the minimums, but my screen printing guy does offer prices for under-minimum orders if it's something you want to explore.

If you have any good shots of it, feel free to PM them to me.

-Nick

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back