Camberwick Green and Trumpton

Thanks. This is what they start out as.
Screenshot_20240301-215355_Google.jpg

I wanted to say I've really enjoyed reading this thread. A few months back I thought, I fancy re-creating a screen accurate recreation of the opening and closing scene of the Camberwick Green music box, light, magnifying glass books etc... well as screen accurate as I could get it. Work still in progress. After reading about KevinD's excellent re-creations of the characters and vehicles, I've got somewhat side tracked in obtaining some of the Marx, Tri-ang, Sindy etc. toys with a view to mod them as required to be 'reasonably' screen accurate too.

Most of the metal trucks seem to be pretty rusty these days so stripping off the old paint will be my first job while I ponder how best to extend the roof of the original Marx tow truck to transform it into Crockett's tow truck. I think they must have built two Crockett's trucks, as the version shown Chigley has the original brown trim round the headlight and stuck on brown cardboard hubcaps unlike the gleaming chrome on the Camberwick Green and Trumpton truck.

I also started looking at the opening and closing 'clown' credit scrolling machine. If you piece together all the credits they would have needed a credit scrolling contraption that was around 50cm high! So much for the Harrop clown musical box being anywhere near accurate. :lol:

I wanted to say I've really enjoyed reading this thread. A few months back I thought, I fancy re-creating a screen accurate recreation of the opening and closing scene of the Camberwick Green music box, light, magnifying glass books etc... well as screen accurate as I could get it. Work still in progress. After reading about KevinD's excellent re-creations of the characters and vehicles, I've got somewhat side tracked in obtaining some of the Marx, Tri-ang, Sindy etc. toys with a view to mod them as required to be 'reasonably' screen accurate too.

Most of the metal trucks seem to be pretty rusty these days so stripping off the old paint will be my first job while I ponder how best to extend the roof of the original Marx tow truck to transform it into Crockett's tow truck. I think they must have built two Crockett's trucks, as the version shown Chigley has the original brown trim round the headlight and stuck on brown cardboard hubcaps unlike the gleaming chrome on the Camberwick Green and Trumpton truck.

I also started looking at the opening and closing 'clown' credit scrolling machine. If you piece together all the credits they would have needed a credit scrolling contraption that was around 50cm high! So much for the Harrop clown musical box being anywhere near accurate. :lol:
glad you've been enjoying the thread!!

I have pondered what the book to the left of the music box is, all we really have to go on is one blurry illustration. Of course it could have been something made specifically for the show but it seems unlikely for a background detail like that.

I don't think there was any more than one of Mr Crockett's truck, I believe it was just the hubcaps and so on rusting over time (remember the production of the full trilogy took over three years to complete)

If you'd like I could dig up the most recent edition of my big things-they-used-as-props list for you. We've still got a long ways to go in terms of listing every single thing used but good progress has been made

Hi ArtBoy54, thank you for comments. I was thinking I might make a stab at creating the clown figure for the scrolling credits as he stays largely still and it would be my first attempt at making one of the figures. I've acquired some 38mm ping pong ball, an Anibild armature kit and some foam sheets from Hobbycraft so I can experiment with making the costume although I'm guessing this foam might be too dense. Your friend's replicas are truly amazing, I think I'm going to struggle to achieve that level of accuracy but you've got to start somewhere.

I have tried hard to study the image on the book and I have re-created an approximation to it with some made up text. It looks to me like, possibly Red Riding Hood walking down a path in a forest with a wolf alongside and a bird in the sky above. The clearest views of it can be seen as the image fades in or out just before the film is over exposed. The attached photo shows my approximation to the book. It's not wonderful, but my artisitic skills are rather limited.

Yes please, your list of props would be great.

RPG1.jpg

I think that's a very good theory for the book! only problem is that because it's a public domain story, you'd have to sift through hundreds of different versions to find the right one. I've looked through a few and I've seen some that are very close, but not exact.
Screenshot_20240507-235337.png

I'll find the prop list for you shortly ;)

I think that's a very good theory for the book! only problem is that because it's a public domain story, you'd have to sift through hundreds of different versions to find the right one. I've looked through a few and I've seen some that are very close, but not exact.
View attachment 1818075
I'll find the prop list for you shortly ;)

and here’s the big prop listView attachment 1818209
each has a picture of the base vehicle, the vehicle as it appeared in the series, and a list of modifications made to it for its on-screen appearance
Thank you so much for the vehicle list a few there I wasn't aware of. :)
Regarding the Sindy car, there seems to be two vehicles used. One with a black folding roof which was modified to have an opening drivers door which you only ever see from the front or the passenger side. The other which has the original red roof and non-opening doors that is first seen in episode 3 of Camberwick Green. Dr Mopp must have done well for himself, he's changed the '1901 number plate to 'MOP1'. Also in Chigley, it appears that chippy Minton must have sold his van to Mr Caraway for the Broken Bridge episode. Is the jury still out on this one. To me it has more than a look of a Bedford CA van about it or maybe a Ford Transit MK1.

Thank you so much for the vehicle list a few there I wasn't aware of. :)
Regarding the Sindy car, there seems to be two vehicles used. One with a black folding roof which was modified to have an opening drivers door which you only ever see from the front or the passenger side. The other which has the original red roof and non-opening doors that is first seen in episode 3 of Camberwick Green. Dr Mopp must have done well for himself, he's changed the '1901 number plate to 'MOP1'. Also in Chigley, it appears that chippy Minton must have sold his van to Mr Caraway for the Broken Bridge episode. Is the jury still out on this one. To me it has more than a look of a Bedford CA van about it or maybe a Ford Transit MK1.
I think the two Sindy cars are the same prop, they probably just modified it between episodes (I don’t think it ever appears in Mr Crockett’s possession again. The black roof also disappears by Chigley for whatever reason, as well as the windshield as it started to droop inward after some time).

Mr Carraway’s van does appear to be completely scratch-built aside from the wheels, however I could be wrong!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back