Suggestion Can we have a sub forum for lightsabers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luuke

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I think it would be great if we could have a separate section in the Star Wars forum for just lightsabers. There's a ton of threads associated with it and in my opinion definitely warrants its own section.

Last edited:
Re: Can we have a separate section for lightsabers?

I know I'm new, but I totally support this idea! I mean if Boba Fett gets a subforum surely the coolest scifi weapon/prop ever deserves one!

I know I'm new, but I totally support this idea! I mean if Boba Fett gets a subforum surely the coolest scifi weapon/prop ever deserves one!

The dented helmet is a sister forum :) (two separate sites and Art runs both) But excellent point.

Maybe something like A defined lightsaber section like dewback wing used to have,,,cache all the images, etc. Maybe expand it to weapons? (blasters, force pikes, etc?)

Honestly, about 85% of the time I come here I immediately search "lightsaber". I'd definitely love to see a dedicated lightsaber section!

I like the idea of a props/costumes break down too...or weapons/costumes. I kind of like sabers/blasters/costumes/props but that may be too broken down lol

There's simply so much under the SW umbrella you almost want to give it a catalog format. If you could pop in and got to SW/props/lightsabers/AoTC and then be able to look for Obi Arena Saber, it seems like things would be so much easier to find without search and scrolling through 4-5 pages of results.

There's no guarantee it makes things THAT much easier, but the organization I think would be fairly helpful given the depth of SW itself.

Personal opinion - but I think light-sabers are not only a broad enough subject (compare them across the original trilogy, the prequels, the clone wars series, videogames.etc) that they've become film iconic, but they've become culturally important enough that they're synonymous with Star Wars outside of storytelling or content. They aren't isolated props like two or three variants of storm trooper blaster, there's such a wide spectrum of builds I'd say they deserve a sub-forum or dedicated topics for scratch builds, customs and original concepts.

Personal opinion - but I think light-sabers are not only a broad enough subject (compare them across the original trilogy, the prequels, the clone wars series, videogames.etc) that they've become film iconic, but they've become culturally important enough that they're synonymous with Star Wars outside of storytelling or content. They aren't isolated props like two or three variants of storm trooper blaster, there's such a wide spectrum of builds I'd say they deserve a sub-forum or dedicated topics for scratch builds, customs and original concepts.

QFT!

You could look at the lightsabers of each trilogy and use them as metaphor for the movies themselves.

The OT sabers were meant to be ancient, battle-worn artifacts from a lived-in universe. And as such were made from antique retro technology and hodge-podge parts.

The PT sabers were mass-produced, slick, streamlined and showy... but lacked in character. (haha! zing!)

The ST sabers are a resurrection of an original concept, and a collection disparate pieces pulled together-- much like the old and new school use of filmmaking techniques that TFA employed.

I agree on a separate forum for lightsabers. I think most of the builds and questions in the Star Wars section are lightsaber related which makes sense. As stated above they are an Iconic prop. They are the first thing i think of when it comes to Star Wars. That and the Leia Slave outfit!

I agree that a sub-forum under Star Wars would be great. I love all the Star Wars props and costumes but I imagine that Lightsabers are the start of the Star Wars prop world for many, I know they were for me.

I don't know exactly if we need a subforum for just lightsabers but I do think threads regarding info on the most popular/currently searched lightsabers/blasters/what-have-yous should be "stickied" with all the most relevant info pertaining to each respective item updated on the first page of those threads (or at least a mention to a page number to start at for the most relevant info). What would also be useful would be mentions within those threads to related sister threads (builds, assemblies, show-off's, junkyard/project runs).

It would be a big undertaking but it would help stop the clogging of the forums with redundant "How do I do...", "How do buy?" threads by new members that don't know how to use the search bar or want the info now. It would be immediately there for members to see and not only get all the info they need but also some background for pieces and the research put into them to get to where each respective piece is now.

Just my two cents.

PPP: Do you collect lightsabers? If you did and researched as much as lightsaber aficionados do, you'd see that a sub listing is soooooo needed.

I do and I do pitch in some info if I feel like I can contribute to the research but I guess I don't mind doing some digging. I just think it'd be more beneficial if the most looked for info was just there to readily find by people coming in rather than a motley of all lightsaber related threads.

Hell, combine the two ideas for all things on the RPF and I think everyone will be happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back