Suggestion Can we have a sub forum for lightsabers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can we have a separate section for lightsabers?

I don't know if it's changed but the last time I tried tagging a thread, it was a bit of problem for me. When I want to add tags, it said only mods or admins can add tags, and I can only use a select amount of tags already available. Which was still a problem because I couldn't specify what the thread was about. Instead of "Nolan-universe Batman" or "Nolan Batman", it was all grouped just under "Batman", so if anyone tried finding my thread or something specific pertaining to that subject, the search feature would just bring up all things Batman.

ASAP absolutely died because it had too many sub-forums.

If you wanted to look at Star Wars stuff you first selected the Star Wars forum.

Then, instead of seeing awesome thread titles that might peak your interest you saw a page of sub-forums, like costumes, weapons, movies, characters, etc..

So then you selected 'costumes', but instead of seeing a list of awesome threads that might peak your interest you saw more sub-forums like original trilogy, or prequels.

So then you picked Original trilogy, but instead of seeing awesome thread titles that might peak your interest you saw more sub-forums, such as rebels, sith, imperials, etc..

So then you pick rebels, and instead of seeing awesome thread titles that might peak your interest you saw more sub-forums, like Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, etc..

So you pick Han Solo, and finally you see threads about Han Solo's costume, that haven't been replied to in 6 weeks.

And while you were navigating to the specific threads you wanted, you missed out on everything else.

What's that? But you're going to go back and look at all the other stuff too?

Then why not just have all the Star Wars stuff in one place, use good descriptive thread titles and tags for searching, and not kill the RPF with sub-forums.

I think at the very least, all the various sub forums should be separated into one for costumes and one for props. You know, like HOW THE MAIN REPLICA PART OF THE RPF FORUM ALREADY IS? :D ... but do the Star Wars, DC, Marvel, etc. groups, get separated that way? Nooooooo! for some reason, they don't rank. ;) *runs for cover*

My only two cents of this is that segregating things into sub-forums may compartmentalize the collective knowledge and expertise of our memberbase (in a negative way). Many of the most prolific and helpful sabersmiths and researchers here aren't knowledgeable in just lightsabers, but ALL Star Wars props, from years or decades of contacts, industry work, and first-hand experience.

That's a potentially huge resource when someone is seeking help or advice on something not specifically related to sabers (like Han's blasters or other props and builds). Shunting the saber threads (and by relation, the very intelligent and resourceful fans who collect, study and build them) into another sub-forum means the people who specialize in certain props are less likely to chime in on other threads with their knowledge from time to time, which I've seen solve more than one found item or accuracy debate here on the boards.

I don't see anything else wrong with the idea other than that, but I do feel that it may ultimately make it more difficult for people to find the info and answers they are looking for (albeit in a slightly more organized fashion).

The search features on this forum aren't that great. If you put more than one word in the search forum it goes kind of bananas. Plus I shouldn't have to tag my threads. That's what the search feature (when it works correctly) is for. Sub forums are fine as long as it's managed well. Hell, I'd be willing to be a moderator to help move topics related to it.

As appealing as the idea sounds from an organizational standpoint, I must agree with James Kenobi 1138. Plus there are already lightsaber-specific forums to be found. While I'm definitely a lightsaber guy myself, I like being exposed to the other cool blasters/helmets/costumes/etc. that I wouldn't see if they weren't in the same sub-forum. I subscribe to the threads I need to follow and use Google to search the forum for what I need (MUCH better than the built-in search imho).

X2 Luuke :)

If i need to actually search, i go out to google and do site:therpf.com <search string>

GIves the full power of google on the search, but i don't like having to keep popping over to google to search the site. Gets counterproductive after a bit.

I think if you wanna keep it all in a giant collosus, then make it imminently more searchable.

If you wanna look at absolutely everything - good for you. A large portion of people don't (and i'm not even saying i'm one of them :)) and those people shouldn't have to wade through everything to find what they're after.

or how about just 1 section original trilogy and another section for 7 8 and 9 that way sabers dont exactly get their own sub but can eliminate a lot of new post coming in being about the new episodes.

prequels can go at the very bottom of the rpf site like

Contact Us
|​
Community Guidelines
|​
Privacy Policy
|​
Terms of Use
|​
Copyright

Prequels

Last edited by a moderator:

If people labeled their threads correctly and used tags, you wouldn't have to.

I looked at the tag thing after I did my last one. The system wants me to do STAR WARS A NEW HOPE for a tag and i had to type into HOPE before it game me an autocomplete.

You have the same problem with tags you do with posts. people can't spell. Strmtrooper, for example. Stormtrooper, fwiw, was not an autocomplete tag...neither was lightsaber. Unless you get everyone using the same tags it's pointless as well as it's still subject to the exact same issues. Now, if you want to can the tag system and mandate tags....but that's probably a tall order.

Personally yes, I think we should have a lot more tag options and I think they should all be 1 word or 1 phrase, like 'Star Wars', 'Empire', 'Jedi', 'Blaster', 'Droid', 'costume', 'Luke', 'Vader', etc.. so you can use all the tags that go with your thread.

I also think they should be mandatory to post a thread.

There are plenty of forums out there where the search function works great. If this forum's search feature cannot be fixed, then this forum needs to migrate to new forum software and soon. It's too popular to be running on crapware.

Personally yes, I think we should have a lot more tag options and I think they should all be 1 word or 1 phrase, like 'Star Wars', 'Empire', 'Jedi', 'Blaster', 'Droid', 'costume', 'Luke', 'Vader', etc.. so you can use all the tags that go with your thread.

I also think they should be mandatory to post a thread.

Oooooh! If tags were mandatory, it would be an automatic categorization. If you had a system like that, it's feasible that the end user could configure the forum to display in any other number of ways. Sort of like how you can organize your files in Windows Explorer my name, date, file size, etc., what if the forumer could choose how the forum is organized on their end? One could configure the posts to be displayed in chronological order, by genre etc. I think that's totally feasible.

I just counted the threads on the first page of the forum. Of the 25 topics on the first page, only 6 were lightsaber related including this one and another one about t-track (which is equally applicable to blasters). Are those numbers worth making a whole separate forum for?

So 25% of the threads are about lightsabers...yes, we need a sub forum.

Why are you so resistant to have a lightsaber forum?
Besides, I counted on some other pages where the count was over 50% lightsabers.
Maybe we should have a sub-forum for blasters. If you want one, ask for it. I'm asking for lightsabers.

Segregating different types of props to different areas is a bad thing. I'm not thrilled with how it is now. By splitting up the forums to different items/franchises, you will get fewer hits per topic. Sure the people LOOKING for lightsabers will see it as easier, but the casual viewer may be drawn into a thread they would not have normally went searching for. We really need fewer subsections, not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back