Canon on the ANH versus ESB lightsaber Changes ?

nasaworm

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am sure these questions have been posed before but I am new to this forum. I am curious as to the canon stories on the reasons for the changes between the ANH versus ESB lightsabers. Is it true that the reason why they never covered up the engraved “GRAFLEX” on the ANH sabre was because none would ever see that because there were no close-up shots so the audience would not notice it? I’m also curious about the reasons for why fewer T-track grips plus rivets were added on Luke’s ESB lightsaber? This was a major and obvious change noticeable by even less critical observers of mecha. I’ve heard that there were problems with the original ANH T-tracks coming loose during production. Was putting fewer on (six versus the ANH seven) plus the obvious rivets the answer? Also why was the ANH Exactra bubble strip replaced with the Edge connector in ESB? Finally, why did they switch to the Kobold clip style D-ring in ESB? I’m assuming the closeup shots of the saber in the snow during ESB had something to do with these changes but also the Kobold clip seems more durable and rugged. Maybe the old style D-ring clip fell off during filming of ANH? The Kobold clip also seems to cover up more of the “Graflex” stamping on the bottom as well.

Finally, on my vintage Graflex, which I am in the processing of converting to ANH version saber, I noticed a ring on the inside of the flashbulb clip. It fell off but I noticed the previous owner crudely glued it in. None of the production sabers have this so I am curious as to what it’s original Graflex function was. I have attached several photos showing the piece.

This forum is great!

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 170
There is photo evidence of an ESB saber with un-notched grips during the location shooting for the Hoth scenes. Since cold temperatures make it pretty easy to break off epoxy from the metal flashes, a lot of people believe the grips fell off at some point and were reattached with the screws. Maybe one got lost in the mix? Nobody really knows, but that's my pet theory for why the screws showed up initially. The tape makes sense to me since there were going to be close up shots of it in the Wampa cave. As for the extra button and new activation strip? Who knows. It could be that they simply wanted to acknowledge a passing of time by having a few "replaced" parts. There's no documented reason for any of this, though.

Yea, these are good questions but there aren't really any answers right now.

I posted a picture of Luke in Hoth with 7 grips, no screws and the ESB upper set-up (pcb and extra red button) so the grip theory is the best one. Cold weather, its easier to eyeball 6 grips and looks cleaner, and screws work better than glue in cold weather.

The rest - I have no clue. I highly doubt the D ring fell off, rivets are VERY durable. It could be that they just used a whole new bottom half, and started over.

People DIY-ed their flashes a lot back in the day...cutting them up, making their own adapters, and that looks like an adapter for skinny bulbs.

Following the success of ANH, Lucas saw the potential for merchandising to surpass ticket sales in the long term. Having different versions of each prop for each film created opportunities to make $ in toy sales... It was sad to watch GL turn from rebel to empire as the lure of the dark side took him.

Following the success of ANH, Lucas saw the potential for merchandising to surpass ticket sales in the long term. Having different versions of each prop for each film created opportunities to make $ in toy sales... It was sad to watch GL turn from rebel to empire as the lure of the dark side took him.
I know I'm way late to the conversation, but... I know Lucas bashing has been in vogue since the Special Editions, but I think the changes to the sabers had nothing to do with making money. Case in point: they didn't even attempt a character specific or remotely accurate saber until 1996, more than a decade after ROTJ. If it was was just about the money, they were definitely playing the long game. A very, very long game.

I know I'm way late to the conversation, but... I know Lucas bashing has been in vogue since the Special Editions, but I think the changes to the sabers had nothing to do with making money. Case in point: they didn't even attempt a character specific or remotely accurate saber until 1996, more than a decade after ROTJ. If it was was just about the money, they were definitely playing the long game. A very, very long game.

Hehe, for me Lucas bashing became a side gig when he destroyed the ANH negatives instead of enshrining them in the Library of Congress where they belonged... jerk.

The merchandising following ANH was historically significant. The world will never be the same. Not that it's all bad. The Mouse at least has some style. I was chuckling when they did the blow up and slow rotate on the two sabers at the start of Ahsoka. Should have had a "to: RPF" address line. Yeah, we'll make your sabers for you in case one of them starts crapping $ and you need a hero. Nothing we wouldn't do for a canon build. ;)

Last edited:
Hehe, for me Lucas bashing became a side gig when he destroyed the ANH negatives instead of enshrining them in the Library of Congress where they belonged... jerk.

The merchandising following ANH was historically significant. The world will never be the same. Not that it's all bad. The Mouse at least has some style. I was chuckling when they did the blow up and slow rotate on the two sabers at the start of Ahsoka. Should have had a "to: RPF" address line. Yeah, we'll make your sabers for you in case one of them starts crapping $ and you need a hero. Nothing we wouldn't do for a canon build. ;)
Were the negatives destroyed? What I remember George saying was that ANH no longer exists in its original form (meaning it was cut up for the special edition). I'm sure all the negatives are still intact. You never throw away the negatives, used or not. I do agree he has been ridiculous about it though. It's a shame.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back