Unlimited Run Cosmo Dragoon (3D Printed Kit)

Re: 3D Printed Kit - Cosmo Dragoon

Modelling continues, actually it's going really well. We're planning on having the cylinder rotate, the bullets removable (with a cool swing out door), the trigger will move and yes, the whole thing will be the larger size 46 mm'ish. Enjoy some WIPs

Re: 3D Printed Kit - Cosmo Dragoon

Honestly I don't believe it opens at all I've never seen them reload the gun its pretty much draw, point, shoot, and be the most bad ass thing ever animated.

This is all I got:
500px-HerlockM784.jpg

Re: 3D Printed Kit - Cosmo Dragoon - New Pics post #42

Is it more like "batteries" ? You only have to reload after the power cells are all drained...o_O

Last edited:

Is it more like "batteries" ? You only have to reload after the power cells are all drained...:confused

In researching, I read something along those lines. That shot still doesn't make sense in terms of how the shell goes in (nothing to hold it), but honestly most parts of the gun seem more stylized than functional. I spoke with Alan Castillo (who has one of the better replicas out there, and watched the show) and he could not think of a time of ever seeing the cylinder open out (or even spin for that matter).

Anyways, I don't think this looks too bad for a functioning action:

Attachments

• 0415 flip detail 1.png
    0415 flip detail 1.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 143

I don't know anything about this gun, or the show, but the design is very similar to my 1851 Colt Single Action Navy that has been converted from black powder to cartridge. The cylinder opens up just like that with a little door that swings down, and the shapes are very similar. I dont have a picture of it open, as I'm away from home, but I'd say you nailed it.
gun1.JPG

I spoke with Alan Castillo ...... and he could not think of a time of ever seeing the cylinder open out (or even spin for that matter).

Since it's a laser pistol, maybe the barrel should not rotate. One could speculate that the creator (Tochiro) designed the CD to look cool & menacing, not to function as a traditional revolver. So a rotating barrel just doesn't fit the picture, IMO.

Also, in the cartoons, I never noticed any moving parts, including the back bit, and to the best of my knowledge, I never saw it being "charged" or "reloaded" either

3d-printed-kit-cosmo-dragoon-new-pics-post-42-a-500px-herlockm784-jpg-464951d1429149656

.... so much for my memory :lol

Is it more like "batteries" ? You only have to reload after the power cells are all drained...:confused

That would make perfect sense :cool

It makes sense to have a power cell. Nothing lasts forever, so it also makes sense to have this power cell replaceable.

The VICE has some aesthetics defect, but it's the best available for the moment, because of size, shape, and many correct details.
There were several variations, from a full resin one to a metal one (zamac) with wooden handle, even a gold plated version.
When I mean, "available" I would more mean "already made" because the only one I have seen for sale is for about 180000 JPY on yahoo auctions.

About the reloading or opening chamber on back it's a wrong idea they get only once.
For my own opinion, the gun doesn't reload, and there are no bullets.
However I kept the idea of rotating, just for choosing what kind of power would be used, and the loading system or optionnal power system would be by dissassembling the gun.
So the door is not present on original prop, pnly the marushi has such a design, but it's totally wrong, on many points.

I am actually working on a very fine cosmodragoon for my harlock costume, far better than anything existing.

I spent lots of time watching at harlock series, and looking for original Matsumoto's inspiration, then creating a "what could be a cosmodragoon " in my mind and now in my hands.
I know 3D printing cant give the best result, because of large frame and many details can disappear, except with expensive resin 3D machines, but it can be possible to make something far better than the taito toy.
If you want informations, I can share them, of course if you give me credits for the help, I think the very best way would be to make a very fin prototype, using 3D printing if you want, but using resin, with very fine finish, then, you can make a good finish by coating, sanding etc, then create molds to cast and launch a production.
This is what I want to do once my own gun will be finished, but I also can help you for yours, no problem.

In all cases, I may get interested, and probably may bring several interested customers, depending on final price and design.

Last edited:

Thanks for the input and ideas! In the end, I'm sure this gun will be the interpretation that the majority of interested people will be more than satisfied with. This is, after all, a fictional weapon, and has been shown in several variations over the length of the show. As an aside, I think that you may also be underestimating the capabilities of the personal 3d printers available today. I regularly work with non-commercial machines that can print down to resolutions of 50 microns, or less than 2/1000s of an inch, plenty-detailed enough to even include fine engraving and texturing (and I am speaking in ABS and PLA). I do agree that molding and casting models can be the most affordable way to produce a reasonably-sized run of quality pieces. Unfortunately, the overhead of that process (and the skillset sometimes lol) can make the final cost of the piece higher than is reasonable, especially if you can't be sure that you'll sell 25, or even 5. :)

It sounds like you've put a lot of time into your replica, you should post pictures and show it off! :thumbsup

Agreed with Lael, like the guns I've done in the past, it'll be very accurate, will have some moving pieces and it'll be affordable. With some sanding and painting, it'll look great. Will it beat a one-off metal version? No, but for the money, I think people will be happy with it. I'm open to any pictures or measurements anyone has to share. We're aiming for an overall size of 46cm, which will be huge, and I'm sure satisfying.

Here's some almost final renders, hoping to start printing the 1st prototype this week!

Patent no. 999 ?

Nice touch. Same as the Galaxy Express. :D

The door holding the bullet is cool and definitely functional, but it does cause the model to deviate from the pictures I've seen. I'd likely build it without the door and possibly use small magnets in the tips of the bullets to hold them in.
Otherwise the model looks looks really nice.
Excellent work on a difficult subject!

Man I am glad this thread has gained more interest! I have been super busy at work lately and haven’t had a chance to check in. You guys are doing great work! On to a couple of points:

1. The Cosmo Dragoon is based on the Colt Dragoon model 1848 version 1 with the square trigger guard and oval notches in the cylinder (this is according to Matsumoto himself).
  2. The “cosmo bullet” as I call it actually an anti-Noo bullet that holds a special quantum charge to fire at the Noo in Captain Harlock: Endless Odyssey episode 13. Tochiro invents it while he is in the afterlife. It is canon, Matsumoto came up with it and even Rin Taro (the dude who directed much of the original series and several of the GE movies) directed the show.
  3. The cylinder doesn’t move nor does the “hammer/stock”.
  4. You never see them charge it at any time and I have seen all the Harlock and almost all the GE (this includes the series).
  5. For everything you could want to know about Harlock and Co, check out this site: http://www.cornponeflicks.org/harlock/harlockmain.html

Overall, I feel that the “cosmo bullet” chamber should be left in. Thank you for doing it, I was going to suggest it. I have a few suggestions (I know that it is late in the game but I’ll give it a go).

1. I love the model number but maybe change the date to the finalization date (or something of his nature so that your version of gun has a sort of personal stamp). Also, they tended to put the gun number between the notches (numbers 1 through 4)
  2. One of the differences that I see is that on the cylinder there are generally 2 oval notches on each side. Most of the time they seem somewhat long.
  3. You are missing the hole in the conical section of the cylinder.
500px-HerlockM783[1].jpg

4) The screws are on the left side of the gun (if you are pointing it away from you). There are no screws on the right side (there are little circles where the screws attach to the other side of the frame.

art book diagram 2.jpg
5) The ram rod mechanism seems a bit off. The part where the 2 parts join doesn’t have the pin and seems to dip down a little too much.
6) The ”cosmo bullet” seems a bit off (though I do like your design). I will post a few pics here for reference and try to get you better resolution pics by the weekend.

cosmo bullet.jpg
cosmo bullt hoder.jpg
7) A Mazone Detector attachment should definitely be made (please I beg you!!). That would seal the deal on this being the ultimate version of the gun. I’ll get pics this weekend.

Some questions:

1. How are the parts going to be broken down? I am going to want to do some modification myself. Here are 2 ways hat I have seen it done:

p2[1].jpg309808853_small[1].jpg

2) Will the handles be solid or will I be able to replace the “wood” grips with actual wood grips? Also the skull and crossbones should probably be done in the brass motif shape (se pic) as this seems to be the most prevalent.

500px-Vlcsnap-00031[1].jpg6156[1].jpg

Thanks again for doing this. I hope some of this is helpful to you in making this best version around. Anyway, I am a huge Harlock fan and will definitely be purchasing one.

Hello rgriesbeck

It sure looks NICE!!! Note; the information provided by Matt009 answers a ton of questions I have had on the weapon since I re-discovered it. One of the most important to me is that the rod in back is not a "cocking" mechanism at all. Given the rather nose heavy look of the thing I sort of now believe that it is more a counter-balance. Mine you I was rather bummed that the cylinder doesn't supposedly rotate. However I hope you still make it rotate in your version just for the "GRIN" factor so to speak. I can't wait to view your next update!!!

Darkev2 http://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=47090

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll try and cover a few points:

Currently, the gun is modeled so the rear rod is fixed and does not move. The cylinder is set up to spin, or it can be fastened to the center-pin and frame to lock it in one place. In regards to the loading gate, it can either be used as designed, or cut down to leave the chamber open; if this is done, then yes the shell would have to be secured in the cylinder itself.

As for the shell, this is gun is of course a physical interpretation of a fictitious weapon, so some sacrifices have to be made make the gun function properly; the size and proportion of the shells is a result of this.

Engraving shown was an afterthought on my part, and just copied directly from a screen cap. to see how it would look.

I modeled two sets of grips, one with a cutout and separate skull insert, another as a solid grip model. We modeled up two sets so that as many options as possible could be available for finishing.

This current gun is also not broken down into 40 pieces, but instead compartmentalized to allow a good print quality, easy assembly, and keep it affordable.

That's what I can contribute. :) As for the many other nuances that could be changed or adjusted, I would suggest waiting for a prototype of the physical gun to be printed; a 3d model image is only as good as the person who made the render, and that's me. And I suck at rendering. :D

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back