Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 helmet and Very detailed Chest

I would even be happy if he just did a general post here saying hes on things so we can be sure hes ok and doing everyone's orders. Right now we just have to assume things tho.

I can wait but i for one just want to have some sort of clarity.

totally that is understandable bro hope he gets back to you soon,
peace!:thumbsup

When you say 'non-cracking' does this include non-wrinkling? I use Golden artist colours' self-leveling gel medium (its for use with acrylic paints. A few layers of this provide a completely crack proof surface. however, it does wrinkle if you bend it too far. (bend it more than roughly 45 degrees and wrinkles appear.)
If it's just a non cracking method I'd recommend this. bought a 4 liter bucket for £60, and I've only used over a 5th for my mark 7 suit. That's roughly £10-15 for a whole suit.

Repairs and painting is easy, and no adhesion promoter is required -the medium is formulated to stick to paint. Brush marks are non existent, as you can simply rub the surface with a wet cloth or your fingers for a perfectly flat surface, at which point the self leveler kicks in, and bam! no fingermarks or anything. It's waterproof. Paint can also obviously be mixed in, without affecting the colour. :)

Hey bud!

For fear of taking over Doc's thread here, I'll post an answer to your question, but any future questions, head over to my thread and post them there. You can find the link in my signature.

As for "wrinkling" I haven't found a reliable solution for that. Wrinkles appear only on inward bending of the foam onto itself. That doesn't concern me since that only happens in certain spots when wearing. The methods I use make a relatively crack-free finish with the least amount of effort. Again, as stated before by many builders of foam: "It's FOAM, it's going to wear faster than resin" But for the effort involved, it's definitely a better trade-off than all the hours invested in sanding, bondo-ing, etc.

That said, head over to my thread and check out the pics of my son's suit I just finished up!

Yeah, similar story for me; Doc has $1200 of my money and he missed every date promised. I've contacted PayPal, but initially got their "its past 45 days" message. I've emailed them, explaining the situation...so I guess we'll see.

** Edit: Doc has emailed me and promised to make good; I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and will keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

Yeah, similar story for me; Doc has $1200 of my money and he missed every date promised. I've contacted PayPal, but initially got their "its past 45 days" message. I've emailed them, explaining the situation...so I guess we'll see.

** Edit: Doc has emailed me and promised to make good; I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and will keep everyone posted.

good stuff, I have spoken with doc and he is trying his best to come good with all promised orders, please lets not form a mob mentality on the guy after all he has contributed to the community he should be given the benefit of the doubt, he is no scam artist just a little over whelmed

Hey everyone sorry havent posted anything just everything just got out of hand but starting to get a handle on things. Thanks Peej, Darkside n Dynamic for your guys comments. Working on tons of stuff but Ill show 1 of them. If ya guys thought I was already at top of my game, ya havent seen nothin yet. Once I get everyone taking care of will post lots of cool new stuff. Thanks again to those hangin there I gaurantee will be worth the wait.

Attachments

• IMG_20131108_042832.jpg
    IMG_20131108_042832.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 636
bump.

doc, how are you painting the crevices, with what paint, and what technique?

also, have you tried to seal pva into foam with a hair dryer? im wondering if the heat would allow the pva to soak into the pores better.

also, instead of using clear coat paint to seal the paint finishes, has anyone tried a clear coat of a non acylic? something crystal clear thats elastic like mod podge gloss

Re: Doc's foam work + The last foam painting method you will ever need.

So does the faceplate here hold its shape from the rondo alone? I've never used rondo and I've heard conflicting reports about the about of 'flex' it has with foam.
the face plate is probably the strongest most rigid part. the helmet will still flex a little so it can move out of shape... it's only an issue when you are in a very hot enviornment, I'm in perth australia which gets very hot in the summer, i try not to wear it outside in the sun during summer

the face plate is probably the strongest most rigid part. the helmet will still flex a little so it can move out of shape... it's only an issue when you are in a very hot enviornment, I'm in perth australia which gets very hot in the summer, i try not to wear it outside in the sun during summer

that's the info i need for me to use the rondo method :thumbsup gonna try it next week

thanks Dadpool for the info :D

That's good to know. I've been putting together a few test foam helmets and this has been my major concern as the faceplates tend to flatten out a bit once removed from the helmet as a whole. And thanks for the tip on the hot weather... I'll have to make sure I have all my painting/clear-coating/etc. done before it gets too deep into summer.

Any news from the Doc? Been awhile since he was here and he kinda didn't email me. Fingers crossed Doc, please come through to us! Really love your work.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back