Ecto-1 Magnum - Ectoberfest Charity Total: $24,000!

Re: Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Magnum

How is it possible to be so cool?

Im convinced all these pics are photoshops.

:lol

Completely incredible.

1. This thread has me laughing outloud, clapping like a window-licker, and nearly tearing up at the same time. Awesomeness dipped in awesome sauce.

2. Going WAAAAY back in the thread - the Batmobile from the Tim Burton films ALWAYS takes my breath away - one the most sinister cars ever. EVAR.

3. Saw you guys and the car at Dragon*Con (my and my buddy were District 10 MNU Hybrid Commandos) Parade and we walked a few groups behind you. Effing fantastic.

Thanks for the cool thread, and I hope our paths cross sometime after I get my pack built! LATER

OK, WOW, just does not even cover the coolness of those photos, thanks for sharing.

Alright! Continuing where I left off!

After sleeping surprisingly well after our little adventure with mc Chris in Times Square, we got up on Thursday morning to check out more of New York City. Our first stop was in lower Manhattan, the location of the art museum from Ghostbusters 2. The building started life as the US Customs House, but has been since repurposed as part of the Smithsonian Institution, housing a branch of the Native American Museum.

vlcsnap-2010-09-16-17h45m45s174.png

vlcsnap-2010-09-16-17h47m26s160.png

The area where the Ecto-1A pulls up in that movie isn't actually a road, it's a pedestrian plaza. Technically it's been inaccessible to all vehicles even before the film was made. Directly in front of the Customs House is the famous Bowling Green park, and beyond that the famous "Charging Bull" stock statue. Ever ones to press our luck, after surveying the scene we decided to go for it. I hopped out of the car and dashed into the museum while the guys entered a holding pattern around Ground Zero.

I asked the security guards if I could talk to the officer on duty, and they sent out a member of the Federal Police. Since the building is of the Smithsonian, it wasn't just normal NYPD running the show. I explained to him what was going on and what we wanted, he agreed to have the car pull up but it needed to pass some security first.

While waiting for the Ecto to arrive back at the museum, I snapped this picture...
IMG_0274.jpg

Awesome.

Apparently "additional security" meant an inspection from a bomb-sniffing team.
EAADay8-004.jpg

After that we were free to enter!
YouTube - Ecto-1 Returns to the US Customs House

We hung around a bit taking pictures, this was less about showing the car off in public and more about a fan-made vehicle going where no other fan-made vehicle had been before.
2.jpg

3EAADay8-014.jpg

EAADay8-023.jpg

EAADay8-012.jpg

After the museum, we headed back up to Times Square to meet up with Will and drop Richie off so he could see some old friends. While trying to find parking, we managed to get pulled over yet again, but this time by an AMBULANCE! These guys were behind me when I starting hearing a repeated siren "yelp." I checked behind and didn't see any lights, so I figured it was coming from somewhere else. The yelping continued, and I finally pulled over. The EMTs hopped out and ran over to ask for photos, we busted up laughing and told them to go nuts. Hearing the one EMT calling his photographer a "******" in a rich Brooklyn accent for taking so long was priceless.
4994913642_148a67bb0d_b.jpg

Apparently our visit had fallen right in the middle of Fashion Week, and our arrival in Times Square was greeted by half a dozen honest-to-god paparazzi.
EAADay8-026.jpg

4994920282_bdbc3b081b_b.jpg

I had no idea what was going on when were were suddenly hit by rapid-fire flashes and guys walking in the middle of the street alongside the car as we found a parking spot. Unreal.
4994313993_c095107b17_b.jpg

This is most likely where the blog news about GB3 came from, as we started spouting off filming rumors as soon as we were out of the car.

We chowed down at a horrible, horrible chinese buffet and were back on the road soon after. This time we headed out of Manhattan and into Queens, in search of the World's Fair park and our meetup with NJUKGB.

Eventually we found the park, but were discouraged to discover that the U.S. Open was going on and that access to most of the park was closed off. I got as close as I could to the Unisphere, but it just didn't make the picture. Eventually I found an access road leading around back to a barricaded area swarming with police. I asked nicely and they let me park in the middle of the road to take pictures, so long as I promised to take less than 5 minutes.

But there was a problem, every single one of those cops wanted a picture next to the car on their phones. So while I tried to get my framing right, cop after cop after cop walked in and ruined the shot...
copscopscops.jpg

Kind of frustrating, but ultimately quite funny.

At one point, one officer commented to Kris that he was going to get yelled at by his boss if he let us hang out any longer. Kris noted that we would finish a lot quicker if we could actually get a clear shot of the car by itself. The cop immediately started yelling at his cohorts to "get the hell out of the way."

I eventually got the picture.
EAADay8-050.jpg

We chatted with NJUKGB for a bit and then headed out.

Spotted this in Queens.
EAADay8-057.jpg

SAVE ME, JEABUS!

Also...
EAADay8-029.jpg

My last unfinished goal of the day was to get a shot of the Ecto in front of the Atlantic Ocean. The car made it to the Pacific originally in July 2009 (then again in December and a third time this July), but I wanted it to be official that the car has made it to both coasts under it's own power. Coney Island offered this, and potentially pictures in front of scary amusement part stuff.

I got much more than I bargained for.

I've been to a lot of sketchy places. Commerce City here in Colorado feels like it's straight out of a RoboCop movie. LA23 is a block from the Los Angeles Mission. We explored Lower Wacker Drive in Chicago. Also, Ohio. But nothing could every prepare me for how unnerving Coney Island in the off-season could be. Most of those other places are abandoned and decrepit, but they are industrial or very urban in nature. Take the seediest urban environment imaginable, fill it with clowns with half their faces missing and amusement rides that look like they were designed by the SAW production team, and you have Coney Island. Don't get me wrong, it was AWESOME. But it was scary.

But this was funny.
EAADay8-055.jpg

AJ, can we change the name of the site to GhostHoleFans.com?

As I'd feared, Coney Island didn't really have any vistas accessible for personal vehicles, so we moved on. But not before I ran up to the boardwalk to take a few pictures for myself.
IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

With that out of the way we headed south, toward the Narrows Bridge. Here I did manage to find a suitable vantage point along the expressway.
EAADay8-063.jpg

EAADay8-065.jpg

A few wrong turns and mixed exits ended up forcing us to cross the bridge, costing AJ nearly $20 in tolls to get us back to Manhattan. Now you know where your supporting membership fees go: out my window to a guy in a booth.

But, it afforded us a nice view of New York.
EAADay8-072.jpg

Spotted while turning around.
EAADay8-069.jpg

BUT HOW WILL I REMEMBER WHEN IT IS?

I REALLY regret not getting some Ecto pictures in DUMBO.... man.
EAADay8-077.jpg

We finished up the night by taking the subway from 56th and Lexington to Times Square for Planet Hollywood. AJ had never ridden on the trains there before and I wasn't opposed to seeing some of my favorite dystopian undergrounds again on the trip.

Planet Hollywood was as good and as expensive as ever, though I was wildly disappointed to discover that the Jurassic Park display which I didn't care about the last time I was there (since I hadn't built the jeep) had been replaced by *****g TWILIGHT COSTUMES. Bull****. Man, I wanted to make a stun gun.

After PH we perused Toys R Us. I bought a little helicopter and AJ.... well.... AJ uh....
EAADay8-028.jpg

I suppose that's the t-shirt equivalent of what we did with the Ecto and the White House.

We hit up Grand Central and then made our way back to the car. ****, the subway is hot in the summer months....
EAADay8-096.jpg

We crossed the Queensboro bridge and I started looking for places to take pictures of the New York skyline. I wanted a shot similar to the one I have of the car in front of Denver, but in New York. Fernando recommended spots near the giant Pepsi Cola sign, and we soon found a parking lot for a Brooklyn water taxi.

I was QUITE pleased with the results.
1ectonyskyline.jpg

Interestingly enough, a five-alarm fire started in midtown while I was shooting, you could see the smoke rising through the different pictures near the end of the shoot . Here's the clearest.

After that we headed back to the Super 8 and crashed, hard!

Friday morning we were up and ready to get out. To avoid as many tolls as possible we drove back through lower Manhattan and took the tunnel to New Jersey. Of course we had to stop by City Hall.
4994285503_09e1445742_b.jpg

There was no time for us to work our magic, though :(

After heading out through the tunnel (playing Promised Land, of course), we were in Jersey once more.
EAADay9-002-1.jpg

Horrible, horrible, rusty Jersey.

Then there was Pennsylvania.
EAADay9-003.jpg

I found PA to be very, very pretty. I wish our trip had taken us through there a month later so I could see all the colors, it must be insane.

Our first stop was actually a detour to Centralia, a small ghost town in the coal hills.
EAADay9-054.jpg

If you don't know what Centralia is, was, and signifies, then CLICK HERE TO LERN SOMETHIN.

One of the most visible areas affected by the fire is an old section of Hwy 61 that is now blocked off and re-routed. At either end of the highway are two earth berms, about six feet in height, to prevent vehicle access to the area. Here is the Ecto in front of the innermost berm.
EAADay9-038-1.jpg

To the left is sort of an ATV trail that provides easier, albeit still-limited access to the abandoned highway. The little trail was quite steep at the end and composed almost entirely of large loose rocks, and I didn't want to risk the Magnum ****ting the bed this close to Hell. I have absolutely confidence that the Jeep would have made it in a heartbeat, though. Hell, the Outback could have probably scrambled around it as well.

Anyway, this is how the road starts off.
EAADay9-007.jpg

Plants growing up and out, and the occasional spot of graffiti. From here it just gets more and more I Am Legend, though. The plants in the middle become full bushes, and spraypaint tags spot the road every few feet.

Then the road starts to do this.
EAADay9-011.jpg

The entire area was once, most likely still is, prone to collapse - it's a fact that doesn't leave your mind for a second while walking this road.

Running down the middle of the highway is an enormous fissure, now filled with garbage and - probably - urine from visitors. Hell, if I'd had to pee, you can be sure I would have done it right where the smoke was coming from.
EAADay9-034.jpg

EAADay9-021.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

EAADay9-030.jpg

Can Sad Kris take his turn at the top of the front page?
EAADay9-016.jpg

Richie fighting the urge to put a traffic cone on his head and start raping and killing and raping and killing and raping.
EAADay9-022.jpg

Oh yeah, the smoke. There was seriously smoke still billowing from the cracks. And the ground was noticeably warmer near the fissures, freaky stuff, and very neat to finally see in person.

We made our way back to the car and drove up through the remnants of the town, making sure to pass down every road. The signs leading to the "fire" actually take you up a hill to an older cemetery (older than the one right next to the highway) and past several areas filled with rubble and bare patches where nothing will grow. Up here there was actually tons of smoke and the smell of the fire was very much apparent, compared to the highway where you would only get occasional wafts of the odor (aside from the odorless, more poisonous fumes, that is).
EAADay9-048.jpg

Aside from them the roads (which were really neat to drive down), there was practically nothing there. A half dozen homes -including this funeral home- was all that remained.
EAADay9-047.jpg

Having our fill, and needing to get back on schedule, we departed.

Also, THIS.
YouTube - Siren Hill - Ecto-1 Visits Centralia, PA

I love this so bad. There should be a documentary. Amazing.

Tell me, do you guys have an actual C5GB siren on that thing or are you using some other means for the siren?

Last edited:

spectre_general said:
Tell me, do you guys have an actual C5GB siren on that thing or are you using some other means for the siren?

The siren was just for looks, the sound was added in post production.

great job on the car and the trip!

do you ever get any flak for driving around with blue lights even thought they are not on?

October 23 marked the date of Denvers fourth annual Zombie Crawl! In case you didn't know, Denver has been -and is once more- the World Record holder for largest zombie crawl. This year it topped out at more than 7,000 shambling up and down the 16th Street Mall! We've participated in these before, but usually only in a limited capacity. Previously we've lurked in alleyways and jumped out to "fight" the stream of zombies. This year we wanted to join the vendors and exhibitors, and we did so by finally throwing our hat into the ring of ghostbuster charities.

The concept was simple. Have a table next to the car, rope off the area next to the car, and charge people for pictures with the vehicle and our group of Girlbusters. Minimum suggested donation: $1. The original plan was to have a professional photographer on hand to take pictures. We would then give the donor a GBFans.com business card with the instructions to visit the site the next day, where their picture would be uploaded to a gallery. Our photographer didn't show, but it worked out because most people wanted to use their own cameras. There was a $250 price for boothspace in the park, but since we were working for charity the people in charge of the crawl graciously let us get in at an extreme fraction of that. Big thanks to Daniel Newman for being such a great guy and all!

Anyway, to shake things up a bit we decided to give the Ecto a new look for the occasion. Alyssa, being the artsy one, mixed up the paint, which was simple off-the-shelf Tempera. Shauna and Liz then proceeded to, uh, decorate the car.
zc8.jpg

We soaked a rag and slapped it up against the sides to simulate impact areas, great suggestion by Charles!
67289_1560678651587_1073910453_1623671_5337275_n.jpg

We arrived at the mall around 1 and started setting up. We positioned ourselves between the park and the mall sidewalk itself, which just so happened to be the location for the counter tent, the place with all the equipment used for counting the participants in order to establish the world record. This meant that every person present would eventually walk past our booth. While in the Ecto, I have this weird knack for finding the perfect parking spaces, so much so that everyone has dubbed them "Kevin Spots," and we definitely scored one at this event!
5109728982_53158d6c1d_o.jpg

The work done by the girls to the car looked absolutely spectacular!
bloodyecto.jpg

5109704690_858f30c031_b.jpg

zc11.jpg

We set up our table with a donation pumpkin - we were going to use a ghost trap but it wasn't ready in time - and flyers and business cards, graciously provided by the all-glorious, all-knowing AJ Quick.
zc1q.jpg

Shauna photobombing in the background.... lol

zc4.jpg

Eventually those stanchions are going to be mockups of tripod traps, I really can't wait to get started!

Then **** started getting crazy!
zc2.jpg

zc5.jpg

zc10.jpg

This was the first time we've actually gotten to refuse people who asked us for pictures, a really weird, kind of awesome feeling. Lots of people sneaked pictures, but even more were willing to pony up a donation and jump in with the girls, or the guys.

The mall sidewalk itself. You can't see it here, but there are two lanes for bus traffic in the middle of that mob. Whenever a bus would stop and open it's doors, we'd be treated to the sound of that entire crowd[/i] moaning and roaring at it.
zc6.jpg

To counter zombies stating they were not ghosts and therefore could not be "busted," we equipped the girls with some new equipment.
5109464332_ec5d8722ea_b.jpg

zc7s.jpg

Kata hasn't paid me for her patches yet, so she doesn't get a belt. This **** ain't free!

5110188386_72d01ccea8_b.jpg

Our newest girl Liz -Hydra here on the boards- making faces. She makes nothing but weird faces.

By the end of the day we'd raised $250 for The Children's Hospital Foundation, which I consider to be a pretty good haul for our first day on the job. The notion that people would pay money for pictures with the car and the characters was a pretty big gamble, and I am amazed that people responded so eagerly to it, what a rush!

I saw the car, but didn't know anything about pictures. It did look really good... I was a bit thrown off by the blood, but it was a zombie crawl.

Sup' Boomerjinks...You might know me as ****ingtest on the SA forums. The car looks amazing!

I saw the car, but didn't know anything about pictures. It did look really good... I was a bit thrown off by the blood, but it was a zombie crawl.

Yeah, we had flyers out explaining the booth at our table, and on the stanchions, but with 6,000 people walking right in front of everything I'm sure a lot of it got overlooked. Next year the stanchions will be tripod traps and hopefully we'll have some taller banners for Colorado Movie Cars.

Sup' Boomerjinks...You might know me as ****ingtest on the SA forums. The car looks amazing!
Sup goon? Thanks a lot! I read your posts all the time!

I've seen this car on a few youtube videos and I've always enjoyed it! I think it's really well put together car too and I love the concept art

I'm part of the Arizona Ghostbusters - Zombie Walks are always a blast - Bloody-ing up your Ecto was a great idea! Looks like you guys had a blast, great job gathering donations for a worthy cause.

I just hope that red Tempera doesn't/didn't stain the white paint on your Ecto. :eek :cry

Saturday marked our fourth year of kicking ass at the Emma Crawford Casket Races!

2007-
coffins.jpg

2010-
ec1.jpg

Good stuff! Also, we officially welcomed new recruit Dr. Sara Gustafson to the crew!
ec9.jpg

ec10.jpg

ec7.jpg

ec4.jpg

ec5.jpg

ec8.jpg

Also, harassment of Doodle occurred greatly.
ec0.jpg

ec2.jpg

5130243065_b320941c88_b.jpg

ec13.jpg

ec11.jpg

After seeing all this, I'm so inspired to make an Ecto Down Under!

Back