"Eyes Without a Face" Mask

acaciaaccount

Coming over from the Costume and Props forum.

Does anyone know anything about what the original mask was made of in the 1960 French film "Eyes Without A Face"? Any info on how it was created is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• yeswithoutaface_christiane_FC_470x264_102020160613.jpg
    yeswithoutaface_christiane_FC_470x264_102020160613.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 262
I don't believe it's sculpted but rather a copy of the actress' actual face. Considering the time period (a similar thing was done on episodes of Twilight Zone and later Batman '66), it's likely that a face cast was made of the actress in plaster and worked on (smoothing out the eyebrows) before a negative was made of that, and then that negative was layered and built up with latex. As I recall, the mask was flexible on top of being incredibly thin and was worn without straps. The one pictured is from a cut-away shot while Christiane undergoes surgery, if my memory serves correct, and doesn't really represent how it is actually on the actress for most of the film.

I always thought it was more a papermache design which would also possibly fit with the era?
I don't think it's papier maché; could be fiberglass:unsure: The actress wears a wig also. It would be easy to have the mask held by a strap under it.

I don't think it's papier maché; could be fiberglass:unsure: The actress wears a wig also. It would be easy to have the mask held by a strap under it.
It could be.. but it's the 60s where we were still using items out of mums kitchen for make ups and gore effects.. Maybe it's good old Plaster of Paris, I've made quite a few life casts over the years and a few overcast facial prosthetics in plaster in very thin sections and depending which gypsum used can be pretty strong. The hydrocal we used for casting dental crown cores was especially strong but also super easy to sand and buff to attain an eggshell appearance.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back