Farnsworth Discussion

I was just illustrating the proper parts could be found with a little legwork since the part numbers are in the thread, I wasnt really interested in doing said legwork though since i did it a few times before. I just didnt want to see him waste money on incorrect parts.
That red light is still wrong., its just a lens not a long light like that. There is only about 1/2" space behind the plate and that one is too long.

Being a nylon housing, it's quite simple to snip away enough of the body so it will fit in the case, and it's also one he doesn't have to buy 100 of.

lol, i was giving him the part number, he can buy singles of the correct one if he does a little searching. The part numbers are in this thread for the correct parts. No need to compromise on wrong parts. He can get the right ones on ebay for minimal $. The part i showed i know is the correct part, ther is no telling what the lens will look like when its cut out of the lamp.

Zombie Killer,
I gave him links to parts he could actually order and buy, that *do* look like the ones used.
You gave him no switch;
a link to 25 different knobs without specifying which one (the 1910cs), from a site you can't even order from, you have to request a quote;
and not a light, but a lens *only*, where the minimum quantity to buy is 100.

I was attempting to be more helpful than the dead/unhelpful links and admonitions to 'google it' were.

But you have inspired me to be more thorough, so here's my updated link list for maxhebus:

Knob: https://www.alliedelec.com/product/davies-molding/1910cs/70097791/

Side Jacks: https://www.unicornelex.com/DC_Power_Jack_1_1mm_3_5mm_Chassis_Mount_Connector_p/23-4700.htm

Lamp: https://www.digikey.com/short/p1pjn1

Case: https://flyfishusa.com/wheatley-aluminum-box-shell

'Camera' lens: https://allstarco.com/en/clear-cabochons/7036-round-clear-acrylic-cabochons-flat-back-15mm.html

Thank you so much. You're a Prince.

The QMX versions (and later seasons hero props) use standard 3.5mm audio jacks for the side jacks. (Personally I prefer their look over those larger power jacks.)

L7ylXjs.jpg

lol, i was giving him the part number, he can buy singles of the correct one if he does a little searching. The part numbers are in this thread for the correct parts. No need to compromise on wrong parts. He can get the right ones on ebay for minimal $. The part i showed i know is the correct part, ther is no telling what the lens will look like when its cut out of the lamp.

Zombie, I've dealt with VCC nylon panel lamps before. Snipping away the nylon housing does not affect the lens in any way. I wouldn't have made the recommendation without first-hand knowledge.

The lamp is also tiny, less than half the correct diameter.

Dr Slurpee, I have no idea where you pulled that comment from. Maybe you were reading the link wrong.
See below - The top image is from Zombie's part link datasheet, bottom image is from mine:

redlamp.png

Regards,
ElectroDFW

That lens isnt correct. This is the correct vintage lens. There is no lip att he bottom it is threaded.

The switch is a vintage Switchcraft switch. This was hashed out years ago, no need for incorrect parts. You originally posted the wrong lens, a switch that has looks nothing like the original and the knob was a completely wrong knob. I know you were trying to help but anyone who wants to build this should read the thread, take the part numbers and search. All the original vintage parts are available. Just posting random parts wastes peoples money because they will still have to go back and find the right parts. Every run of plates that was made was made to the parts we have listed in this thread and fit 100% guaranteed.

Bump for an old thread...have been rewatching the show recently. Anyone currently working on a Farnsworth? Tackled one a few years back and have been thinking about making one again.

I still have a couple that I need to finish. One is mostly done. The other not so much. I also need to make the scanner dish for one of them. I did buy one of the QMx ones when they first came out some time after I started building one.

Bump for an old thread...have been rewatching the show recently. Anyone currently working on a Farnsworth? Tackled one a few years back and have been thinking about making one again.

Yeah I regret letting my Farnsworth go....would love to build one again one day, but the hardest part would be getting hold of an engraved faceplate.

Many years ago I built the standard style of Farnsworth with a faceplate I bought from a member
here. The box I found when they were still available from Wheatley. My problem now is that I
am interested in what is know as Claudia's Farnsworth. Thus far, aside from pictures, I have not
been able to find any source of correct parts for this project. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Wow... This thread was a blast from the past! Lots of fond memories of sourcing all the parts & building one while the show was still on.

I did everything I could to recreate the QMx version, based on the info here. Got the right Wheatley box, got the brass faceplate, got the right knobs & lenses, programmed the soundboard to have different delay settings, etc & etc.

I even tried building a small crate out of paint stirring sticks from Lowe's. Just reading through this again, I hate that all that & it's sitting in a storage box under the bed.

I should just probably throw the whole shebang up in the Junkyard so someone else can appreciate it. Lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back