Fedoras

Cjfung

I'm not sure this is used as a costume subject but I'm looking for a fedora that I can wear everyday as a common piece of wear.

Any Suggestions?

Akubra has lots of quality hats that are quite affordable. Hats Direct is a great website for those. I think it's hats-direct.com, but I could be wrong.

I saw the Federation IV fedora,costs like 92 and I dont really want to spend that much money cause I have other projects going on

Pretty much your only other options for a quality hat at a lower price than Akubra is ebay/thrift stores.

Akubra has lots of quality hats that are quite affordable. Hats Direct is a great website for those. I think it's hats-direct.com, but I could be wrong.

The site is www.hatsdirect.com

They are a GREAT source! The thrift store idea is a good one as well. About 6 years ago, I was scrounging through a thrift store and found an authentic, 1930's fedora, almost exactly like the Indiana Jones hat that fit me perfectly. I don't know the maker, because over the years the makers name and logo had faded from the silk liner, but this thing was darn near perfect! My total investment... $5.00!

Have you checked menswear shops, like Men's Wearhouse, or tailor shops where you get custom fit suits? I'm pretty sure the ones around here stock a few fedoras, along with top hats and even a few bowlers.
I just recently got a nice khaki suede one at an antique mall, for $7. It's a pretty big upgrade from the cheap one I got at Target. I was talking to a guy at the flea market who deals in hats and he said that if you can find a vintage one for less than $50 it's a great deal, because they're popular right now. He sells a variety of fedoras, ranging from $25 on up. Some are vintage, some are newer, and he has a pretty good selection. Another place that I've seen something you might like are at Bass Pro Shops. They have one that is kind of similar to an Indy hat, but I'm not sure of the pricing.

Harrison Hats fedora at Burlington Coat Factory....$19.99!

01Flashfront_resize.jpg

01Noflashfront_resize.jpg

02Flashrightside_resize.jpg

02Noflashrightside_resize.jpg

03Flashleftside_resize.jpg

03Noflashleftside_resize.jpg

04Flashback_resize.jpg

04Noflashback_resize.jpg

05Noflashhattrim_resize.jpg

06Insidehat_resize.jpg

07Temporarytweaking_resize.jpg

+1 on Akubra. i got a Federation III a while back and it's taken everything i've thrown at it, and thrown
it at.
if you want something with a smaller brim i've got an Adam New York stingy size 59-ish i've been thinking of selling.

I'm going to have to agree with the Fed IV suggestions. It's a dang fine hat. Better felt by a long shot than the cheaper hats. That being said I'm wearing a Broner Linwood Avenue right now. It's wool felt so it won't take or hold shape as well or long, but it's not a bad looking hat. At the end of the day however, if you buy the Fed IV, it'll last a lot longer.

These things have been covered ad nauseum in Indiana Jones headgear threads, but to quickly summarize:

Wool felt hats = much cheaper, don't last as long, don't take to restyling very well
Fur felt hats = more expensive, longer lasting, restyle well if that's what you want to do (easier to clean, BTW)

One of my favorite online hat sources with good overall prices and frequent sales is http://www.villagehatshop.com.

I recently purchased a fur felt porkpie here for about $40, which is really good.

A couple more online suppliers:
http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com
http://www.millerhats.com/

Rick

If money is a factor, and you want something you can wear daily AND get away with it, maybe you should try pick up one of those contemporary stingy-brims that department stores usually carry for around $20-30?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back