Fedoras

I would take the adventurebuilt deluxe. Its the most accurat hat if you want to go for Raiders oder Crystall Skull Look. He is also the maker of the hat in Crystall skull.

Ummmm.... thanks:redface

However BOTH Steve AND I made the hats for CS. Both made from pure beaver, both handmade, one with the goal to have the absolute best price / quality ratio possible, the other with the goal to make the absolute best Indy Fedora humanly possible, no matter what it would cost.

Regards,

Marc

Ummmm.... thanks:redface

However BOTH Steve AND I made the hats for CS. Both made from pure beaver, both handmade, one with the goal to have the absolute best price / quality ratio possible, the other with the goal to make the absolute best Indy Fedora humanly possible, no matter what it would cost.

Regards,

Marc

Marc!!! I didn't know you were on the RPF! Or if I did, I forgot - just turned 40 and my brain is a bit knocked around... :)

I have 2 Adventurebilt deluxes and made the investment because I will now never have to buy another hat again as long as I take reasonable care of these. One has not been used yet really and the other has been UNDER WATER COMPLETELY on 3 occasions in addition to a few rain storms and has not shrunk on me at all. Its shape has changed only VERY slightly but it is still a straight-sided fedora all around.

I also have one regular AB by Steve and that one has shrunk a tiny bit because of the cow leather sweat band as opposed to the kangaroo sweat used in the deluxe.

The deluxes are perfect Raiders hats. The AB regular is the perfect KOCS hat.

I have owned and gone through half a dozen Herbert Johnson hats over the years in addition to other hats and ONLY the AB's and a cowboy hat by O'Farrell of Santa Fe hold up to abuse completely.

Hi John. Good to see ya'. I joined in December after I missed the possibility of joining in August. Been lurking for a couple of years by now and was glad to finally get the chance to join.

Both hats are as close to the KotCS hat as possible, because both hats ARE the hats used in KotCS. We made over 40(!) brown hats, so that's over 20 ABs and over 20 AB-Dlx.. And before you ask, no, I cannot tell them appart myself :lol The custumer pointed out that the hats had to be IDENTICAL. And they are (lookwise). Heck, Steve and I spent so many hours on the phone over details that you'll never see in the movie anyway, to make sure everything would be identical (i.e. the width of the stitches where the sweatband is sewn together etc.). Steve sent some of his rawbodies my way and vice versa. That way we could match the color to be identical. We also exchanged sweatbands and mixed all up, just in case they'd show the inside of the hat in the movie. That way even WE wouldn't know who made it (real friends don't compete with each other:)). So both of us made some ABs with AB sweatbands, ABs with AB-Dlx. sweatbands, AB-Dlx. with AB sweatbands and AB-Dlx. with AB-Dlx. sweatbands :confused I even had some blocks made to match the one the costumer picked (and then the entire set later). So, whatever way you go, it's pretty darn close to a perfect KotCS Fedora:)

Anyway, I believe that the sweatbands used by Steve are goatskin rather than cow hide. It holds up round about as good as horsehide, but is softer to wear once it's worn in. The roo hide has a denser structure, hence it's quite tough to get it to shrink (but bloody expensive). That's probably the reason it's used for (good) bullwhips.

Ok, sorry for climbing up my soapbox again:redface I could talk Indy Fedoras all day:unsure

Regards,

Marc

Right on.

I should have said that I dented/ shaped the deluxes to be more Raiders looking and the AB regular to be more KotCS looking.

All of them could go either way!

Not being very precise after a long day...

:)

Im heading to Orlando in march for work, I've always wanted a Indy hat so figured before I go might as well buy one and take with me and save some cash. I know I can buy them at Disney's Hollywood (mgm) but I can get the same hat off ebay cheaper. Question is Limited to $100 max whats the best in that range? Also, how are the crushable hats? Even worth taking a look at them? Advice please.

-LP

Last edited:
I have worn my Wested Jacket almost every day for 2 years I love it. I love my AB as well Mark and Steve do an excellent job on their hats you cant go wrong with them.

Kalkamel is dead on here IMHO. If you're looking for an Indy Fedora within 100bucks, get yourself an Akubra. They're very well made rabbit felt hats and can both take a beating and a reblock if necesarry.

If you have ANY questions regarding Indy Fedoras, feel free to ask me. I'll give you as honest and un-biased answers as humanly possible.

Regards,

Marc

Here are some pics of my Akubra Fed next to my AB (AB on the left, Akubra on the right):

abfed2.jpg

abfed3.jpg

I love 'em both!!

I ordered the Akubra Deluxe Fed thanks to 2 indy gurus here. Anyway, whats the turn around time from order to getting it and any links to bashing it? Will it have to be weathered or shaved?

Also, does anyone know where to buy a mini Indy hat for a kid?

Thanks,

LP

If you take their standard airmail, it'll be round about 2 weeks to the US (if they have it in stock that is).

Before you order, I'd ask if they have a reg. Federation for the kid. I'd recommend buying it one size too big and then use the foam tape that comes with the hat. Put it under the sweatband to make it smaller and once the kid grows bigger, it can be removed without replacing the entire hat.

Just my two cts.

Regards,

Marc

Once again I am resurrecting an old thread from the grave.

No one here has mentioned Lee Keppler's Indy lid. It is fur felt, has an excellent RAIDERS look to it in the photos on the site, and sells for less than getting an Akruba shipped to the US does.

http://www.adventure-supply.com/fedora.htm

Anyone have an opinion about this hat? Own one? Like/dislike?

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Rick

I've owned 2...awesome Indy Fedoras for a great price.
Here's my latest Keppler lid:

newhat1.jpg

(I'm the one on the right.:))

-Rabittooth

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back