FemShep N7 Armor, Valkyrie Rifle, + Omniblade (Mass Effect 3)

That is sweet! I have to say it again, but I've been on here since the beginning and that is up in the top ten of the coolest things built on here.

This looks so f-in' kickass! I've been subscribed to this thread the whole time, and it's been quite a treat to see it come together. I'm super happy for you that you finished it! I know how hard it is to finish something like this, especially when you've got *another* job (because let's face it, something this spectacular and time-consuming qualifies as its own job). I wish I had half your motivation and and dedication to finish some of the projects I have rattling around my house.

Anyways, great job! It looks bangin'! Thanks for sharing!

holy fraking crap-ola!!!! pure awesomeness on levels far beyond my understanding of awesomeness!!! a tip of every hat on earth for you. you put the time and sweat in and damn does it show. cant wait for what ever pics or vids or anything. love it and thanks for the ride!

FAB, MARVY and all of those great words that come into mind when looking at your costume! Yes, defo go for the pro photog and make that project one of the best so far on the RPF:cool

Amazing work. I am so very happy that I got to follow along as you put this excellent costume together. This is the best Commander Shepard cosplay I have ever seen, bar none. While part of me is sad that there won't be too many more updates for this suit, another part of me is excited that you can start something else. I can't wait for the pictures with a photographer!

Thank you!! I hope I'll be taking it out and about soon. Spring conventions are sometimes more affordable than the big ones in summer.

If the weather is good, and things fall into place accordingly I will be getting with a photographer this weekend!

I just finished reading the whole thread (spread over a few days). All I can say is WOW! You did a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing your process, especially the painting techniques. All soo good! I hope you get some chances to enjoy it out in public.

Well done, it's great to have followed your thread since you started and to see it finished is just wonderful :) You did an excellent job with the suit as well as with making your progress easy and fun to follow. Awesome work :)

Wow, it's been a while since I updated my thread. Eventually I will add "archon visor" to the thread title because that has been my latest project with this build.

So I took Femshep to C2E2 and did the Cosplay Championship contest. I didn't make it to the final round but I got 2nd place in my category - video games. More importantly I met a lot of cool people! Despite not knowing anyone going there, and waiting 300 hours backstage, this was one of my better convention experiences.

I have also finished the omniblade, but it broke in transit to the convention. The parts I most expected to break were fine, but one of the arm cuffs came loose and I pulled it off before anything else decided to go with it. Easy enough repair, I just could not wrap my brain around a safe method of traveling with it. This pic was from right before the convention.

Lately I have been making the archon visor. I'm using vac-formed styrene and the same orange acrylic used for my omniblade.

The original used Smooth-on's version of apoxie sculpt, which I did not like, because I've been using the former for so long it's what I'm used to, and there are minor differences. It also used a sexy shampoo travel bottle.

Then I formed these with styrene. This was one of the early versions. I made some tweaks to the sculpt before I got something more 3-D looking that I was satisfied with, that did not make webs.

I also tried vac forming some PETG. This failed horribly, and I only had two sheets. I scavenged the parts that were useable for transparent LED illumination. My left/right visor halves are a layered combo of styrene and PETG at this point, because I also ran into trouble with solvent-based glue just eating the thin styrene. Not always, but in some areas.

Next, on one of the pieces I did some hand heat-forming with my gun to get the ear section in a curve, and the jaw section to bend slightly inward. Fairly simple as long as I did not let the heat blast for very long in any one spot, because these are so thin.

Before I did any more hand-forming, I needed to see them all one shade under primer, to check for symmetry. This is hard to judge when some parts are clear PETG and the rest is styrene. It must have been humid, because the Krylon paint I used looked like chalky puke.

These currently are still being adjusted. Getting something to sit squarely on your face is tricky, because your face/ears are not perfectly symmetrical, as anybody with glasses will know.

There I am adding the missing beveled layer seen in the reference. I left it off the sculpt because I knew it would be difficult to heat-form a curve with a gun, going around the skull, with two ridges resisting the curve. If that makes sense. So I curved the visor, and cut out a strip to mount on it after the curve was set. Following this will be carbon-fiber vinyl wrapping.

Not pictured yet are the acrylic visor panel and LEDs. This time I'm not using a laser cutter to etch, so I'll have to get creative with paint on the acrylic to make those designs.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back