Fifth Element : Mangalore Grenade (Mostly 3D Printed)

PropsToHistory

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Pulled the base .stl(s) from thingiverse. Found the correct maglite and source the acrylic rod (lights) from amazon. The knob/timer, is an RS Components 509-973 Potentiometer knob, which i have finally found and is on its way. But for the time being the 3d printed version will remain as a place-holder.
Greande.jpg
Greande1.jpg
Comparison.jpg

Nice work.
Did you print in PLA? What's the stuff you've coated it with? I've yet to find anything that isn't just as much of a pain to work with as sanding the raw print.
BTW: have you noticed yet that your blue spines need to be rotated 180 degrees? When folded against the grenade the flat tips should face inwards. This helps the grenade fit into the sleeve better and the rear four ends sit neatly against the handle's ball.

Nice work.
Did you print in PLA? What's the stuff you've coated it with? I've yet to find anything that isn't just as much of a pain to work with as sanding the raw print.
BTW: have you noticed yet that your blue spines need to be rotated 180 degrees? When folded against the grenade the flat tips should face inwards. This helps the grenade fit into the sleeve better and the rear four ends sit neatly against the handle's ball.
I noticed what I had done about 20ish seconds after posting online. So it's been corrected. I actually coated it withsimple bondo and sanded it on a lathe to keep it even. I started with 220 grit and worked up to 4000 grit. Primed with automotive primer, sanded again to 3600 then shot it with two coats of testors metallizer lacquer. the shinier bits are rubb n buff.

Thats such a smooth finish! I love it. How did you get it so smooth?
Thank you. I put on a couple of thin coats of bondo. Chucked it in my lathe and sanded it from 220 to 4000 grit. primered (2 coats) of gray automotive filler primer. Lathe, 400 to 3600. Shot with 2 thin coats of testors aluminum buffing lacquer. done-skis

I thought you were gonna do a run of the whole grenade though when you spoke of aluminium sleeve and mini mags. Is this corect but just for a later date? (y)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back