figured out superman returns costume

Originally posted by mtsbspidey@Dec 27 2005, 12:44 AM
i never said the darker colors were a reference to the fleisher cartoon...
[snapback]1144090[/snapback]​

I wasn't quoting you. This has come from a number of sources within the production as well.

Steve

I don't know, I just don't see how anyone will be able to fill Reeve's boots. He IS superman for at least one or 2 entire generations, including mine.

i gotta agree, routh doesnt match reeve in the sheer size category. i dunno if he is wearing a muscle suit or not, but i do know reeve didnt wear one during superman or any of the sequels that i can recall. check out the test shots of him on the balcony pre vader training, and then shots of him in the movie post vader training. he got big. no padding needed.

routh looks like he has the generic "superman" look to him, dark hair, solid chin, etc, but i really have to say that in terms of just "big guy", he aint one.

i dunno if its the lack of "real men" in hollywood today,or just directors perogatives, but somehow reeve filled out a skintight costume and looked basically like he stepped out of a comic, but nowadays any hero movie that comes along has someone wearing a bodysuit of some sort with padded out muscles. even tobey in spidey 1&2 had some padding lobbed in there.

routh just reminds me more of the superboy series. considering this movie is supposed to be set a few years after the originals... its kinda strange to me that the entire ensemble of people (from jimmy upwards of lex himself) all seem to be a little younger. reeve is superman for generations of people. thats a given. routh has a decent chance of becoming the superman for the new young generation of movie fans now. but the costume just..... sucks.

MF has it right. virtually any quote you see on the costume design always has some BS about "its how he looked in the classic comics and cartoons." defense. strangely they forget that he was also a friggin huge guy in the classic comics and cartoons. very overmuscled for the period.

even george reeves wore a 30-45 pound muscle suit when playing superman. it can be done with an open neck, a bigger shield, and no bikini briefs. reeve just bulked the hell up when he got the role, and filled the suit out himself. routh is in good shape, but not the shape of a possibly 30~ year old superman, and if he IS wearing a muscle suit under all that..... he has gotta be pretty skinny. iirc even dean cain didnt have a padded out suit, he is just a big guy as well. wasnt the greatest superman, but at least he fit the body type.

i may love the movie. i havent decided that. i have decided that i seriously dislike the costume. im willing to give the movie a shot, but god help em if it sucks. singer may have had a few good movies but screwing with supermans costume can have a pretty severe whiplash effect. random (non fan) people went off on DC when they killed him, and then went off on them AGAIN when they changed his power set and gave him a new costume.

heres hoping summertime involves one hell of a movie.
chris

Originally posted by hydin@Dec 27 2005, 01:30 AM
routh looks like he has the generic "superman" look to him, dark hair, solid chin, etc, but i really have to say that in terms of just "big guy", he aint one.

Thats whats bothering me.... he looks generic.... chris reeve had such a distinct look. This new kid just kind of fills the shoes.

Originally posted by frozone@Dec 27 2005, 12:37 AM
Thats whats bothering me.... he looks generic.... chris reeve had such a distinct look.  This new kid just kind of fills the shoes.
[snapback]1144248[/snapback]​

I agree with that sentiment

George Reeves had a very distinct look that fit the part, Christopher Reeves had a very distinct look that fit the part as well. Hell even Dean Cain was instantly recognizable as both Superman and himself, but the new kid, he just lacks any facial features that are distinctly his... like he was built from spare parts of leftover superman want-to-be's...

I actually really like the Superman in the World's Finest fan film. Better then all of the above And he was a big dude. Looked like a comic book hero, and actually the Superman in the Grayson fan film is the one I think really has the exact look as for comic book to screen transfer... but hey, that's just wishful thinking

I actually really like the Superman in the World's Finest fan film. Better then all of the above  And he was a big dude. Looked like a comic book hero, and actually the Superman in the Grayson fan film is the one I think really has the exact look as for comic book to screen transfer... but hey, that's just wishful thinking
[snapback]1144251[/snapback]​

Do you have any links to the fan films you're referring to here?

I think most of us can agree that Reeve was a great Superman...for his time. Singer certainly thought so, which is why he chose Routh. He was quite adament about finding an "unknown" like Reeve. What he wanted WAS Reeve and he found him in this guy. And he LOVES Donner's treatment. So much, in fact, that he decided to "continue" that treatment into the 21st century. And that part is fine with me. But it still makes me worried. His tinkering worked with X-Men, but the stakes weren't near as high.

Superman is an AMERICAN ICON. No offense to the X-Men, God love 'em. I, like everyone else, have been waiting a long time for a new Superman movie to get off the ground. If he screws this up, they won't let him even breathe on a comic book. At least, I wouldn't.

I'm a BIG Superman fan. Probably because STM came out when I was at the right age to be swayed from sticking with Marvel's Spider-Man to jumping over to DC and flying with Supes. And I never looked back. Regardless of what people think of it nowadays, the movie's tag line was true. You will believe a man can fly. And I did. I still get chills when I see Reeve leave his perch in the Fortress and fly by the camera. And partly because it takes me back to my childhood.
I got a little of that with the preview trailer for SR, but I don't know if Singer's going to be able to pull this one out.

I have MANY problems with the film and the costume, but mostly Routh. He just doesn't have IT. (And I even live near his home town.) That star quality seems to be missing. I know people are tired of hearing this, but I kinda hoped Welling would pick it up...at the time. Or at least they would get a MAN to play the part and not continue the Hollywood trend of letting children play everything in town. Yes, I realize that these days you have to get the young guy so you can milk as many movies as possible out of him. I get it.

Anyway, the suit sucks because it looks gay. They had to make it darker to take away some of the gayness. I suppose they can get a new guy if this one doesn't work out. Just like they do with Bond or Batman movies. I'll see the movie anyway...but I don't have to like it.

-Solo

I have to say that I'm not crazy about Routh... but Welling? No way.. No.. No.. NO. Routh, I have to admit, looks much more like a man that Welling. He looks more Superboy than even Routh.

That I disagree with...Welling in Smallville looks young and boyish cause of makeup and his role. He at least is 6'4 and muscle bound and looks more liek Reeves than this kid.

Originally posted by DarkLordVader@Dec 30 2005, 02:27 AM
I have to say that I'm not crazy about Routh... but Welling? No way.. No.. No.. NO. Routh, I have to admit, looks much more like a man that Welling. He looks more Superboy than even Routh.
[snapback]1146603[/snapback]​

Yeah, I knew somebody would say that. I guess he does look "prettier" than Routh. But, when Smallville came on, I got that feeling I got when I saw Reeves fly for the first time. Sure Welling isn't the best actor in the world (neither was Reeves, if you remember), but he does have a presence. Mostly when he's doing the serious action scenes, looks more "manish". That makes me think he could be the big guy. But, I guess that's just me. Doesn't matter anyway. Routh is it.

Smallville sucks right now, but maybe they'll extend Smallville into Metropolis and we'll have Superman on TV again. That would be cool. I really like Rosenbaum's Lex and would like to see how the arch enemies end up duking it out in the city.

By the way, I think Routh is actually 6'4", himself. And I'm surprised they would put any extra padding on him. Looks like that's all him in the suit to me. I HATE those damn short, shorts. The little chest emblem, the S on the belt...GAAAAAHHH... :angry

-Solo

No offense, but you all sound like a bunch of WHINEY 3rd Graders.

Its not 1978.

He isnt Christopher Reeve.

its not the same movie.

Get over it.

Originally posted by BrundelFly@Dec 30 2005, 11:18 AM

Its not 1978.

its not the same movie.

Get over it.
[snapback]1146816[/snapback]​

:$

Yeah, you're right. But that's what we do here, that's what the forum is for. To speak our minds and share information and opinions. Whiny or not.

No offense to YOU, but if you actually read my previous post, you might notice that I AM NOT saying I want Reeve's version back. (Who would?) But, that's exactly what Singer is trying to give us. He picked someone to fill Reeve's shoes and continue THAT story. By not creating a truly new vision of the character, he's missing a great opportunity to start fresh. That's why I'm worried. He's the one who's ***king in love with Reeve. I just said the old movie still has a nostalgic effect on me. And now I want the new movie to wow me.

:cry

-Solo

Originally posted by BrundelFly@Dec 30 2005, 05:18 PM

Its not 1978.

its not the same movie.

Get over it.

singers said hes trying to somewhat carry one with donners movies, while not really.....dont know what that means exactly, but id say since he is paying homage id say that all the points are valid...

so get over it.........:p

i still worry that he was chosen becasue of his resemblance to reeve rather thant any acting ability,

and is his being 6'4 confirmed??? as seeing him in the teaser next to bosworth he looks kind of just a bit taller than her, and shes not larger that 6ft for sure :p

from what ive read of the script, i worry for this flick,
wish they just started from scratch like batman begins rather than trying to tie in to the past movies....would have been easier and they could just point to that when the fans bring up the old movies, they arnt them.....but with bringing in the brando scenes, and all that, they are linking this to the old,

which could be thier downfall as it will alienate alot of the older fans,

Originally posted by BrundelFly@Dec 30 2005, 12:18 PM

Its not 1978.

its not the same movie.

Get over it.

hey.. i demand an apology.. i whine at a 6th grade level.

:p

seriously though, no one expects this guy to be reeve, but its hard to imagine someone doing a good enough job to unseat the "man behind the legend".

for me though, its not so much the fact he isnt reeve. i was a huge fan of the lois and clark series, and dean cain is about as un"reeve" like as you can look. his take and the series take on superman was a lot different than all the movies. hell, even the superboy series was fun to watch.

but in all the ways that i remember superman, its not a spandex'd muscle suited guy dressed in a suit made from a dodgeball. its a literal "big guy", who lends himself to the look of the part.

granted, when keaton was cast as batman i was thinking "WTF?.?.?. MR MOM? WHAT THE HECK?". now, keaton is my favorite (next to bale). when they cast cain as superman i was thinking "WTF?.?.?.? HE DOESNT LOOK EVEN REMOTELY LIKE HIS SO CALLED KANSAS PARENTS" (this was pre-adoption storylines, when clarks birth was said to have taken place during a horrible winter). when i heard tom jane got the lead for punisher i was like "WTF???.?.?.?." and he NAILED the charactor so well that its now one of my favorite movies.

now, seeing routh, and hearing singer spout off about his movie and how its new and original but keeping in with donners original ideas.... it makes me worried.

will i see the movie? hell yea. will i like routh? dunno. will i like the movie? dunno. will i like the costume? nope. between the tiny S symbol and the "dodgeball" look of the costume (not to mention the rather dumb looking seams left there by the costume team), i can safely say i dont like it. i also dont like the 89 batman costume, but loved the returns armor.

my main bitch point, and why the thread was started, was that i thought "HOLY CRAP THIS IS WHY IM HATING THIS SO MUCH.". i hated superman 3. its the only one i dont own on dvd, and refuse to watch to this day. the only good part of the movie was the clark vs superman fight. the rest gave me nightmares as a kid. the "evil superman" dark colors remind me so much of this films "darker" color, and my severe dislike of that movie. just irks me i guess.

singers whole bit about "dark colors work now" is a load of BS. the whole point/counterpoint to the superman mythos in the comics was his city was bright and shiny and crime free, while gotham was dark and dreary and overall just crime ridden. thats why bats wears black/grey and supes wears blue and red and yellow.

never want to compare routh to reeve without hearing lines being delivered, but on just looks, routh has much more of a "boyish" quality to him. considering this movie is set AFTER the reeve films... that doesnt work well with my logic. if the movies great, awesome. if it sucks, singers career is shot. simple as that. superman is a HUGE property, and while it took many years for WB to realize that JS couldnt pull a good batstory out of his ass with astroglide and a pair of pliers, they redeemed themselves with begins. the first superman movie was a mega hit. the second pretty well. 3rd, not so great, 4th? well, it was interesting to watch... sort of. with returns, WB is gambling on the "old generation" watching, hence the voice overs and score on the trailer, and hoping to god they buy routh as the man o steel.

im all for giving it a shot, and i hope to god its a good movie. scratch that. GREAT movie. spacey as lex is an AWESOME choice. the only one better would be rosenbaum with some makeup. for superman?.... routh may rock. dunno. but the costume flat out sucks. i can tell that much from the trailer, and publicity shots. no amount of good story will make me like it.

and in the 2nd post of the new year for me, i realize its probably a miracle i got laid at all with as much geek point earning as i do here.

ah well, new year, 6 months to D day, and so far theres already a prop i wanna own from the movie. it dont get much better than this :)

chris

Originally posted by Solo+Dec 30 2005, 04:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Solo @ Dec 30 2005, 04:23 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-DarkLordVader
@Dec 30 2005, 02:27 AM
[snapback]1146603[/snapback]​

Yeah, I knew somebody would say that. I guess he does look "prettier" than Routh. But, when Smallville came on, I got that feeling I got when I saw Reeves fly for the first time. Sure Welling isn't the best actor in the world (neither was Reeves, if you remember)

-Solo
[snapback]1146784[/snapback]​
[/b]

Ummmm - No I don't remember. Reeve was a good actor and classicly trained. Go rent Somewhere In Time. Deathtrap.

Agreed, Christopher Reeve was a tremendous actor. He also took the Superman role VERY seriously, as Margot Kidder has attested to many times.

deathtrap is one of my favorite movies :lol

after the superman films, he sort of pick and chose what films he wanted to be in. he did plays iirc most of the time.

terrific actor. he took the superman role very seriously, and let the costume do the work for him when he was dressed as supes. dont confuse the man with the plot. lex nuking california to make a real estate bid is not exactly a wonderful plot. the actors, i gotta admit, were top notch though.

chris

Originally posted by mez7+Jan 1 2006, 12:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mez7 @ Jan 1 2006, 12:33 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BrundelFly
@Dec 30 2005, 05:18 PM

Its not 1978.

its not the same movie.

Get over it.

and is his being 6'4 confirmed??? as seeing him in the teaser next to bosworth he looks kind of just a bit taller than her, and shes not larger that 6ft for sure :p

[snapback]1147909[/snapback]​
[/b]

Saw more about the film on E. last week and they quoted his height as 6'2", not 6'4". He was talking about what kind of shape he had to be in (rofl).

I found the source of where Brian Singer got the idea to add the "S" on he belt:
costumesuperman1.JPG

Originally posted by propsculptor@Jan 2 2006, 05:57 PM
I found the source of where Brian Singer got the idea to add the "S" on he belt:
costumesuperman1.JPG

[snapback]1148746[/snapback]​
Okay then, I stand corrected. Singer was right and I was wrong. There IS precedence for having the logo on the belt.

I doff my cap to you, Brian Singer, King of the Superman.

(Dammit, where is the "Extreme Sarcasm" icon on this keyboard??? :confused )

Steve

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back