Firefly - 1:6 scale Mal Reynolds sculpt

This thread has gone on so long, I forget if I posted this yet, but I really want one of these too. :)

I'm a bit behind though, what is the trouble? Casting? Can't you do it? If not, I would think there would be one of out members not too far away, or a collage with an art, or film, department that could do this for you. They don't need to be fans, they just need to be able to cast.

Jason

I'm a complete novice molding and casting wise... and the sculpt is very fragile, unfortunately due to my inexperienced approach. And the other problem is that I live in Denmark and really don't know anyone or any place doing mold/casting work anywhere close. :cry

Glad you like it though! :thumbsup

Denmark, and a fragile sculpt, that is tuff. Hm. Well, some of the sites that sell resin, and casting materials, Have little "how to" tutorials, and some even have it, so that you can tell them your situation, and they can tell you what you need to use. People have molded fragile sculpts before.

If you know for sure that you could get a good mold off it, then it wouldn't matter, all that much, if the original survived the posses, because a cast would be better anyway's.

Hey, what about vacumforming? There's a tutorial here on making your own cheep vacumforming tube. Maybe you could vacumform a shell of the original (in pieces), since it's pretty low impact. Then you could use that as a mold, filling the shell with resin, or plaster, etc. Then use that to make a proper mold for multiple casts. It's a little unusual, but it might work. You would have to try the vacumforming on something less important first, and once you made your casting from the vacumformed shell, you would probably have to resculpted, in some of the really fine detail, but it would be worth it, if it worked.

Jason

Is there a way to possibly coat it with something to protect/strengthen it so it could survive the casting process? I'm completely oblivious to what goes into such things so forgive me if this was a stupid thought.

Chris

Is there a way to possibly coat it with something to protect/strengthen it so it could survive the casting process? I'm completely oblivious to what goes into such things so forgive me if this was a stupid thought.

Chris

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm relatively new to this whole thing too.

I find with a lot of this stuff, it depends on who you ask. I've had a lot of people tell me that they love "smooth on" brand for mold making. However, I've had others tell me it's not so good, and that you get like one, or two great castings from it, and then the mold is useless. I would hate to see you loose your sculpt making the mold, and then only get one, or two, castings out of it. :(

Oh, too bad we don't have one of those folks that have those 3D scanners, and the equipment to laser cut (or whatever) a 3D copy, like they do for some of those new, hyper real action figures. Oh man, that would be sweet. We could just scan your sculpt, and in no-time, have a copy in whatever scale we wanted. :) I would take one in 6" and one in 12". :) I know, keep dreaming, even if we had the equipment, it would cost a bunch of money. :(

Wait, now that I think about it, there was a guy here a wile back that could do that 3D suff, in some kind of 3D printer. I forget how it worked though. I think it was some kind of powder, with a laser (or something) that would go through, and turn the powder, solid, and build up the 3D object, layer by layer, or something like that. (I think it was kind of like resin) He was taking orders, back when. If I recall something the size of a lightsaber was under $150. (Possibly way under, I don't really recall) but, this isn't much bigger then a lightsaber.

Anyone remember who I'm talking about?

Anyway's if we did that, we could do a casting from the 3D print/copy.

Jason

Actually... getting one or two copies would be cool enough, as more work is needed... and you only need 1 master casting to make more molds from... as long as the original survives the first molding. And I hear that Polyurethane Resin is the best to use for master casts... is that correct?

I have the silicone, but no work-space to speak of where I live.

I'm trying to figure out a rig, so I can get this done... but personal problems is seriously getting in the way of pretty much everything I'm doing... it really sux... and wish I could just get over it soon. I really feel I'm letting all you guys down by not being able to do this fast enough.

Also... IF I get this done... I'll have to find a partner in the US to distribute these, as shipping from Denmark is a KILLER... so sending out one head or one figure at a time would be seriously cost prohibitive... would be cheaper for buyers if they were sent out in bulk and then distributed that way... though... I won't even begin to think about all that until I have proven that I can actually mold this thing. Damn... why was I so impatient about doing a proper armature... grr...

I'm trying to figure out a rig, so I can get this done... but personal problems is seriously getting in the way of pretty much everything I'm doing... it really sux... and wish I could just get over it soon. I really feel I'm letting all you guys down by not being able to do this fast enough.

No rush, I'm still waiting on parts from my parks order, an I plaist that like 3, or was it 4, years ago. Another board member has owed me somerhing for 3, or 4 years now, too. Somethings just take time, That said, I hope your troubles are over soon, just for you own well been.

Sorry if I sound self-absorbed, but I still can't believe I sculpted this... too strange... still trying to see if I can do it again or if it was just a one-off chance of luck.

Hope to have a proper update for you soon... 'cause I wanna see this finished just as much as anyone else.

Process is made in getting a molding box made and a rig to support the figure while molding the first half. Have to do it pretty unconventionally, as the figure is too brittle to hold up to the normal way of doing it. This is a break or win kinda deal... will keep you posted on how it goes.

Think I have to say up front that my previous plan of doing multiple styles is out the window... I will not do the bust or offer just heads, even IF I'm successful, as the shippings costs to send one head out is insane and I don't want to put anyone through that cost.

Thinking of only doing it as a 1 mold cast of the fully put together figure: a fully finished statue, rather than a kit.

With my skills though and the state the original is in I think it is a pretty safe bet that the master sculpt will be ruined in the first molding... so any future work will have to be done on the first cast, if the molds turn out to be usable.

Down the line when I get better at mold-making there may come a refined kit version in multiple parts, if there is interest in that, but don't hold your breath.

I'm sorry, but this project as well as pretty much any other project has halted due to health issues. Kinda wish I could just send it to someone to finish it off... it all just sux! :cry

The project as it is now is dead. It will never be a kit due to the way it was constructed. I may do another one eventually - a completely new sculpt. Bu so far I'm too busy on other projects having to be finished first before considering that. I'm sorry for this decision, but there's nothing to be done.

However, I can finish the sculpt and get it ready and painted, but I need something to support it from the rear, so there will be minimal stress on the feet, as those are the weakest parts of the sculpt, unfortunately. What I need is help to come up with ideas for a back-drop that he can stand up against and won't look out of place for the character. I was thinking of him perhaps standing up against a wall with a Blue Sun sign behind him, but I can't remember what their banners look like. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well and I will try to finish him as soon as possible within the new year. :thumbsup

You could do the door to the bride of serenity. you could print out small versions of the since that go on the door, and all. (the have those signs, for download around here somewhere.) You could have him nest to that sign, in that bar, that said in chines, and English, some thing like "management not responsible for ball failure." You could have him up against something waste high, like crates or a fence, and then build a back ground around that.

Anyways, goo luck, I kind of foregot about this project, it's been so long since there was anything posted.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anyone got any pictures as I have currently lend out my dvd's?

Hello NoHumorMan,

I was just wondering if you were still considering finishing this project ? If so, how much would you be interested in selling this item for? thanks, omallie970

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back