First Contact Borg Cube- Studio scale-ish... 50CM3

IMG_20231219_174356.jpg
IMG_20231219_174422.jpg

Been printing off the modelled greebles I've done so far. Mostly roughly eyeballed from what I can see on the ILM cube Duncanator worked on.
The Uni Greeble is in there too :D A couple scales of it.
And bellow this again eyeballed from the model kit. Spotted it on the ILM model, comes from the same rail artillery model kit as the uni greeble :D

IMG_20231219_174413.jpg

Did some 1mm layercut acrylic. as a test. Some parts came out ok at this scale, but some not so much... Some bits ill have to beef up some thicknesses, and will also have to look at changing cutting settings. Maybe even a slow very weak beam. Or multiple passes with a weak beam.
I also had a little issue with debris getting in the way.
GB6aR2QWoAAfok2.jpg
GB6aRiJX0AAQ99U.jpg
GB6aSOcXkAA857S.jpg
GB6aSmWWIAAIYyd.jpg

I will be using brass etching, but thats going to be for the third layer. This is second layer stuff.

Looking good!
You sure crammed a lot of parts on the 3D print platform. The laser cut parts are tricky when they are that thin.

I've found that having the laser move as fast as possible when cutting reduces the dwell time. Longer dwell time seems to heat up the area around the cut, which can cause warping of the parts. It's a tricky balance to find a power setting and cutting speed that does the trick.

When cutting out repeated shapes that are separated by a thin strip (like vent slots), I'll set up the cutter to do every other slot on the first pass, and then do the other slots on a second pass. This gives the material time to cool between laser passes, which helps reduce warping.

Yeah been trying to figure out how best to get lightburn to do that. I so far cant find a cut order thing.

Also yeah I tried to do some 1mm PETG today, and its been a right pain. Very unpleasant smelling too.
Trying PETG as im struggling to find 1mm acrylic in anything larger than letter paper.

And it seems to have shot up in price too D:

And yep crammed as much as I can on the build plate. :D Saves on print time

Last edited:
Great work.

Large 1mm thick acrylic sheet ( 1000x1000mm) don‘t seem to be stocked generally by plastic companies.
As a solution, if you’re looking for something in the size of A1or A2, if you look at large Clip Picture frames that you can buy in homeware stores. They have thin acrylic sheet ( instead of glass used on smaller versions) which you can easily remove and have a layer of protective plastic on both sides, making it easy to initially handle and work with.
I found 1mm and 0.70mm. One disadvantage I found is that it tends to get more fragile and brittle after time - could be light and heat related. So some experimentation is recommended.

Last edited:
Yeah i had considered that, but trouble is ill be paying through the nose for that. When I should just be able to buy a2 600x400 sheets for a few quid

Yeah i had considered that, but trouble is ill be paying through the nose for that. When I should just be able to buy a2 600x400 sheets for a few quid
They are very inexpensive. I think I bought 4 or 5 A2 clip frames for about €50or €60 in The Range homeware store. They are a UK company here in Ireland. So you might have them locally.

ps. I just checked the size - 800x 600mm - cost €14each.

Last edited:
I have two here in the studio that are 0.70 mm and two others which are 1mm which I had bought in another batch about six months before. Haven’t got the packaging to see if they’re the same make but I bought them in the same store.

I have two here in the studio that are 0.70 mm and two others which are 1mm which I had bought in another batch about six months before. Haven’t got the packaging to see if they’re the same make but I bought them in the same store.
Ahh good. Thanks

Ordered 10 A2

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back