Green Lantern Movie Ring

No store bought ring I assure you that. It was designed and modeled in 3D. Thought I would tease you all a little bit here, been waiting for this thread to appear to do this.

Can you guess what this is?

Is it a block of ultramachinable brass mounted in a Roland MDX 540 about to become two Green Lantern ring bodies for the Green Lantern movie?

I may have cheated... :lol

Have no fear, the movie rings look nothing like that crappy licensed ring. I'm not a huge GL fan, but I like the design of the movie ring- there's some subtle things going on. You guys will have a better look at them next week... ;)

SkinnyDogDesignGroup.png

John

Hmm. That's interesting. Perhaps he was bidding on the job? They went through 20+ versions of the ring before they decided on the final design.

However, I can emphatically tell you with 100% certainty we made the movie rings. Nexnox did all the CNC work, and we made a LOT of them.

They also have multiple pictures of all of the diffrent hero rings used for the ring in The Sorcerer's Apprentice. And mention Pirates OST.

John

p.s. They also make and sell the licensed Pirates rings to Disney parks that are base metal with plating. Not bad rings, but not nice super accurate actual jewlery either. and the accuracy of Jack Sparrow's emerald skull ring is wayyyy off, but then that may have been at the request of Disney. I know film companies sometimes ask for changes.

p.p.s. Perhaps like the rings they've made for DisneyParks, they've been contracted to manufacture some kind of licensed ring for the mass market. what would suck then is that inorder to keep costs down they would likely be made like the Pirates ring and could be inaccurate and not ultametly something one would want to wear as it would eventualy turn your finger...GREEN! Ha!

I have to say that I'm incredibly jazzed for this film. For the last 35 years my two favorite heroes have been Green Lantern and Aquaman (I even interned at Marvel in the mid-90's just to get those free exchange DC books!).

Hell, I might still have the .25c supermarket ring I used to wear when I was 4 that doubled as my GL ring. :)

I love the pic of the suit, I love the look of the ring and, though I refused to read it directly, I love the general outline of the script floating around the net (assuming it's the real deal).

Words cannot express how happy this flick is going to make me and if there's a licensed version of this ring on the horizon I'll pre-order one now.

How amazing to have the ringmakers here on the forum, too...can't wait until they can spill some more beans. :)

We are a shop that is hired to do jobs. Due to deadlines and budgets it could be very likely that the propmaster may have had other rings made at other shops. I am not familiar with the GL franchise but I do see that there are several rings. It's never wise to put all your eggs in one basket.

Oh, and the movie ring looks a lot like the "chunk" style ring that a guy on eBay named Coldfuel137 used to make...He's also called Metalwerks and GLKing...

As excited as I am for this movie, I have to admit to being disappointed with the ring and the costume. I would have preferred something a bit closer to the comic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Gil Kane's original design for the GL uniform. And the signet ring currently used in the comic is also pretty iconic and should have been used. I'm going to try to attach some pics of the current comic design, as well as the actual ring that DC Direct mistakenly marketed a few years ago as the "Silver Age" GL ring when it was in fact the Kyle Rayner ring -- and similar to the one used in the film without the "blockiness" of the design.

Hey Honus! I wish you still made these...they were awesome...I bought two sets, but had to sell both of them. They were fantastic...

Glad you liked them- they were a really fun project to do. I still need to make two glowing rings for Mark Waid and Geoff Johns that I promised them some time ago. I was never really happy with the glowing rings I made so I had to completely redesign them and then I got super busy with multiple other projects and family stuff.

I don't think Obama has the willpower to yeild a GL Ring.:lol
I have seen a comic con photo of the ring over at the GL Corps message board - blurry, but I'm hoping some high-res shots make its way online soon.
I recently ordered the GL Honor Guard replica ring by DC Direct and I'm really looking forward to an official announcement on who is doing the official movie-ring replicas.

Sounds like one lucky fan won the lottery today:

"The very crowd-friendly Reynolds concludes by giving away the Lantern ring on his finger to a lucky winner who finds a magic ticket under their seat. And with that, it's over."

This is from a panel report on SCI FI Wire.com.
Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

Terry

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back