Green Lantern Movie Ring

So aside from this ebay auction, where is the best place to get a ring as close to the movie model as possible?
If you want an Officially Licensed ring, you need to head to eBay and track down the DC Direct replica. It was cast from one of the original hero props. But as I mentioned earlier, DC Direct got several things WRONG by making them very cheaply, and with poor quality control. But it's still the closest Officially Licensed replica.

But the best replica overall is being made in small runs here on the RPF, and is available in the Junkyard if you hurry up and get in on the second run NOW! ;) :thumbsup

Oh, and stupid question... can either Sporkey or one of the Mods edit the Thread Title to mention that there are high-res photos of the filming prop on Page 35, in Post # 869? Thanks.

If I recall correctly, the Reece's contest gave away 10 Hero Prop rings, which they valued at $10,000 apiece. I emailed the Hershey Corporation a few months ago asking about the rings, as I had never actually seen one online before, and 10K seemed like a lot for a GL ring. They had no idea, nobody there knew anything about it. I kinda figured I would never see it until the ebay auction popped up. I would have bet money that Jack T Chance won it though, lol.

If I recall correctly, the Reece's contest gave away 10 Hero Prop rings, which they valued at $10,000 apiece. I emailed the Hershey Corporation a few months ago asking about the rings, as I had never actually seen one online before, and 10K seemed like a lot for a GL ring. They had no idea, nobody there knew anything about it. I kinda figured I would never see it until the ebay auction popped up. I would have bet money that Jack T Chance won it though, lol.
I had also heard through the grapevine that 10 were given away.

As for me winning it... the winning bidder sold off a lot of his collection in order to pull together as much money as possible to put towards the ring. He was able to afford a Max Bid $1,000 higher than my Max. I never stood a chance. :cry

I had also heard through the grapevine that 10 were given away.

As for me winning it... the winning bidder sold off a lot of his collection in order to pull together as much money as possible to put towards the ring. He was able to afford a Max Bid $1,000 higher than my Max. I never stood a chance. :cry

Yeah, I put in a bid at the $500 mark, then shut off my phone until the auction closed. I figured I would have to sell some batteries to cover it, but it's much better I lost. I do kinda wish you had won though, I'm in awe of your collection. It's pretty epic.

Yeah, I put in a bid at the $500 mark, then shut off my phone until the auction closed. I figured I would have to sell some batteries to cover it, but it's much better I lost. I do kinda wish you had won though, I'm in awe of your collection. It's pretty epic.
Thanks, but these days, it's not quite as epic as it once was. Ever since the comic's resurgence in popularity starting in 2005, there's been TONS of new GL merchandise that's come out, way too much for me to keep up with! There's countless figures and statues and weird little knick-knacks that I've missed getting due to lack of space to store it all. :wacko

But I am fortunate enough to own a few very unique, truly rare pieces, such as a couple of RPFer Megatron's anodized aluminum GL rings, a custom-made replica of Ethan Van Sciver's original concept design for the Sinestro Corps Power Battery (a design that has later been seen packaged in with some of Mattel's Sinestro action figures :cool) and some one-of-a-kind rings made by the RPF's own customized hero, AKA Batjeepster. :D

But now, back to the movie hero prop. I've decided to post just a couple more pictures that I have that shed a little more light on the way the prop was made, revealing previously unknown details of its construction.

When the light playing through the resin "gemstones" is JUST right, it IS possible to get a photo that makes it look remarkably like the CGI ring seen in the movie. Since I didn't take the photo, I have NO idea what tricks of the light have to occur to make this happen...

01-IMG_0002_zpsc4fe783c.jpg

As you can also clearly see in that shot, the face of the ring is more complex than we had previously thought. Starting from the center and working outward, you have the round, smooth "center gem", a metal ring, A CLEAR RESIN RIDGED RING SURROUNDING THE METAL RING, and a clear green resin "GL Corps symbol". That's right, RPFers... the ridged "fresnel lens-like" ring around the center is a SEPARATE PIECE and also a different color! This detail is so obscure it's not even readily apparent in the closeup shots of the hero prop in the movie itself! :eek

Here's the inside of the band, revealing another major difference between the production-made props and the licensed replicas...

06-IMG_0029_zpsd37eac2a.jpg

There you can clearly see that unlike the uniformly smooth, polished inner band of the licensed replicas, the movie prop has a rougher surface, still bearing the machining marks from the CNC machine that made the band. The band was then nickel plated seemingly without being polished smooth first. :eek

Also, one seemingly strange detail of the DC Direct prop replica is now revealed to be more accurate than we had previously thought. Those that have examined the DC Direct replica closely will have noticed that underneath the smooth, round, translucent green center stone, there is another, clear, FACETED rhinestone!

Look through the hole in the center of the band. During filming, that hole allowed lights on set to shine through it, very cheaply but effectively lighting up the center gem in the ring during its closeup in the plam of Ryan Reynolds' hand. What you are seeing through that hole is a clear, "diamond-like" faceted gemstone mounted UNDERNEATH the smooth round green stone, and then a "rubber stopper" that holds the faceted gemstone in place. Again, a fascinating detail that is NOT apparent in the movie or even in the auction photos! :thumbsup;)

Given how small a size 10½ ring is, the amount of detail and craftsmanship that went into making these rings is astonishing! We owe some major props to the craftsmen that made these beauties! So, nexnox, Stormleader, and Stitch, take a "virtual" bow! With this ring and its matching Power Battery, you guys made two of the absolute coolest movie props of all time, with a level of skill and craftsmanship that the majority of us here can only DREAM of achieving! (y)cool

Oh, and... I feel obligated to say... upon request from any of the involved parties, I will edit out these photos and details about the construction of the ring, if necessary. Don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers here.

Last edited:
To anyone: Be careful of purchasing the movie rings on eBay. A lot of the $10 TRU diecast rings are being deliberately mislabeled as the DC Direct rings and are selling for a lot more than they're actually worth...

To anyone: Be careful of purchasing the movie rings on eBay. A lot of the $10 TRU diecast rings are being deliberately mislabeled as the DC Direct rings and are selling for a lot more than they're actually worth...
Very true. Educate yourself on the different replicas BEFORE you go shopping and know what you're buying! Remember, knowing is half the battle! :thumbsup;)

That's an impressive amount of not-meant-to-be-seen detail put into the ring. Makes me appreciate the design and construction a lot more, but at the same time, I don't feel that the rings I own (both official and unofficial) are lacking for missing any of that stuff.

Now I'm wondering if more pics of this ring will ever make it into the wild...
Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

Oh, and... I feel obligated to say... upon request from any of the involved parties, I will edit out these photos and details about the construction of the ring, if necessary. Don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers here.
It's all good, I also found something else that might be helpful I will post a pic of it. later.

Still have one of these lying around. I'm glad to see that a real ring has made it into the hands of someone who loves the work we do.
So often we strive to add detail you will never see on camera, but the director or producers can see it in person.
View attachment 150988

nexnox!!! You're alive!!! I thought the black hole has got you - man you disappeared from the Tron ID Disc thread and was never seen… will you get back on it or is it a backburner?

Oh! Oh! And please show more of the GL Ring, is it possible to offer a run or is that still under a NDA?

nexnox!!! You're alive!!! I thought the black hole has got you - man you disappeared from the Tron ID Disc thread and was never seen… will you get back on it or is it a backburner?

Oh! Oh! And please show more of the GL Ring, is it possible to offer a run or is that still under a NDA?

yeah, I'm alive, lol. I recently spent a little time in the costume threads for my bane costume, http://www.facebook.com/MyBaneCostume

I will get back on the disc eventually, I'm constantly harassed about not finishing it from my co-workers.

It's weird, I would love to show more of the ring. But I feel like I can't still. Nor would I be able to do any sort of run.
But what I will say, is that the main block was later cast in resin, and the Lighter green ring was 3D printed in clear on all of the rings we made. The metal ring was individually turned on a lathe and the back of the green block has grooves ground into it to give it that gem look.

yeah, I'm alive, lol. I recently spent a little time in the costume threads for my bane costume, http://www.facebook.com/MyBaneCostume

I will get back on the disc eventually, I'm constantly harassed about not finishing it from my co-workers.

It's weird, I would love to show more of the ring. But I feel like I can't still. Nor would I be able to do any sort of run.
But what I will say, is that the main block was later cast in resin, and the Lighter green ring was 3D printed in clear on all of the rings we made. The metal ring was individually turned on a lathe and the back of the green block has grooves ground into it to give it that gem look.
:lol Being harrassed by your co-workers? Oh my!

If that all you can show from the GL ring, that's ok - don't wanna get you in trouble ;)

Here is some more info on the reese's contest as well as the breakdown on the pize value. I think the $10,000 price is cleared up here in this sweepstakes form. It was for the Grand prize fighter jet ride.
Nexnox Since I now own this piece I could show the breakdown of the ring and show all 7 pieces that make it.
image0.jpg

I know it's a bit late and all.
It's 2014 and I should've gotten these rings a lot sooner, but I just didn't have the money!
Please, I must get ahold of your lantern movie rings!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back