Done / Completed Guardians of the Galaxy : Starlord Gravity Mine and Infinity Orb

Bigturc

Sr Member
Hey guys,
I watched Guardians of the Galaxy like most of you and it grew on me!!! I was looking at all the nice orbs done here and decided that most people were missing one key piece: Starlord's Gravity Mine

So me and my buddy got to it, and within a couple days, based on the Marvel official pics, the HD movie and misc sources, we designed this...

screenshot006.jpg screenshot007.jpg

Movie prop:

Guardians.of.the.Galaxy.2014.1080p.BluRay.x264.YIFY.mp4_snapshot_00.08.26_[2014.12.03_22.08.44] .jpg Guardians.of.the.Galaxy.2014.1080p.BluRay.x264.YIFY.mp4_snapshot_00.10.02_[2014.12.03_22.12.41].jpg

It's mecanically functionnal .. it can be set opened or closed .. hinges are solid and fonctional and have built in stoppers so that they won't go farther back and forth then the movie version - meaning it could be displayed closed or opened.

What's in both sets

v1 molds produce cast that have a little more flashing and finishing work to do legs and hinges: holes need to be cleaned and a little putty. The hinges are also the V1 version, without the small correction I added on the master based on the screen used prop pics that came out. Those corrections can be easily made by you if you go the v1 budget way.

v2 molds have been done with a vac chamber and pressure pot, so almost no cleanup is required. They also have the hinge corrections: under peg and holes and end cap.

Model is about 8-1/2" from toes to toes. It was made to accomodate a 3" to 4" diameter orb.
Both sets include: 3x legs , 3x hinges, 3x plastic rods and 3x greeblies.
Greeblies are the same on both versions.

PRICES
v1 set is 70$ (10 first sets)
v2 set is 135$.
v2 cold cast is retired.

SHIPPING (approx)
UK Air: 19$ // Air trackable: 40$
US Air: 10$ // Air trackable: 20$

Add actual shipping to your door. Prices above are to give you an idea.
Not offering finishing work for these.
As usual, not asking for a deposit.

If you want a set, please make sure to specify which version you want!

Update: Final product
View attachment 460274 View attachment 460275

And a crude mockup of what it will look like finished. Model is about 8-1/2" from toes to toes. It was made to accomodate a 3" to 4" diameter orb.
View attachment 460284 View attachment 460285 View attachment 460286

FINAL KIT
FullSizeRender.jpg

And a comparison of the V2 parts (left) versus the V1 parts, in resume:
- hinge was modified to fit the screen used prop: peg, holes and end cap were added based on the screen used prop revealed pics;
- leg has less flash cleanup;
- greeglies are the same.

View attachment 460270 View attachment 460271 View attachment 460272 View attachment 460273

- Soulinertia (v1) *PAID* *SHIPPED CX519099221CA*
- Kevin Gossett (v2 cold cast) *PAID* *SHIPPED CX519099218CA*
- Johnnyfl (v2 cold cast) *PAID* *SHIPPED LX005457340CA*
- Acathla (v2) *PAID* *SHIPPED LM026935840CA*
- 80sKIDAutoman (v2) *PAID* *SHIPPED LM021267137CA*
- zombcom (v2) *PAID* *SHIPPED LM035355891CA*
- Zexcced (v1) *PAID* *SHIPPED LM035355914CA*
- njakus29 (v2 cold cast) *PAID* *SHIPPED LM035355945CA*
- Stormshadow (v1 & v2 cold cast) *PAID* *SHIPPED LM809759926CA*
- Refjim8 (v2 cold cast) *PAID* *SHIPPED LM809759930CA*
- ataru72ita (v2 cold cast) *PAID* *SHIPPED no tracking*
- Wrenne (v2) *PAID* *SHIPPED LM036976818CA*

screenshot001.png

screenshot002.png

Guardians.of.the.Galaxy.2014.1080p.BluRay.x264.YIFY.mp4_snapshot_00.08.26_[2014.12.03_22.08.44] .jpg

Guardians.of.the.Galaxy.2014.1080p.BluRay.x264.YIFY.mp4_snapshot_00.10.02_[2014.12.03_22.12.41].jpg

screenshot006.jpg

screenshot007.jpg

15971924322_273fe7b2bc_c.jpg

image2_3.jpeg

image1_3.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy : Starlord Infinity Orb magnetic gadget

Updated first post with a little more work: wires and other details were added .. still have some details to nail before printing this.

Guardians of the Galaxy : Starlord Gravity Mine & Infinity Orb

No interest in these? Is it the price? It's still a lot of parts to print .. I figured that people would love to own this to display their orbs!

Last edited:

It looks great!

I think those that have the capability of printing their own orb will probably be printing the magnet base as well and those that can't print would probably be more interested in a package deal, orb + base. Just a thought.

Thanks for the feedback ..

I know people can print their stuff .. but I always feel like printed stuff on most of the home 3D printer looks like garbage unless you spend tons of time sanding .. which then becomes an entire project on its own. If you send it to shapeway, it comes back as a big porous material that is a pain to work with too ..

There's amazing orbs on the market and they were offered without a base .. and I thought this would really help people put their orbs in value .. The other thing is that all orbs are pretty much the same diameter if the builder did his homework right .. if they didn't, lucky for them if they sell any! :) Point being I didn't need to create an orb to sell the gadget .. or so I thought! :)

Ok guys,
If I was to offer an orb .. would you prefer a cheaper display outside shell only orb OR the whole shebang with internal details?

I've been keeping an eye on orb builds and such since I saw the movie, and if I were to buy either the orb or the base, I would prefer a package type deal. Ideally the orb itself would be high quality, full detail, but that's me.

I'm really really interested into getting one of these to complete to the entire setup, just waiting on Soulinertia fabric to arrive so I could start with the bag.

Projector should be available by MDuckett by next week I guess. Soulinertia used to sell the plasma ball, not sure if he still selling them, will have to check with him. Also give it sometime for people to be able to discover this thread, since its new, it should take some time to get some interests.

Great work ! :cheers

I'm really really interested into getting one of these to complete to the entire setup, just waiting on Soulinertia fabric to arrive so I could start with the bag.

Projector should be available by MDuckett by next week I guess. Soulinertia used to sell the plasma ball, not sure if he still selling them, will have to check with him. Also give it sometime for people to be able to discover this thread, since its new, it should take some time to get some interests.

Great work ! :cheers

I dunno .. I feel like if a project is to take off the ground, it's not a weeks thing .. it's within a matter of hours/days.
I'm still working away at the orb right now .. and we'll see when I get there and present it. In the meantime .. I'd still like to know the interested in this piece or a duo pack!

Thanks Zexcced!

I dunno .. I feel like if a project is to take off the ground, it's not a weeks thing .. it's within a matter of hours/days.
I'm still working away at the orb right now .. and we'll see when I get there and present it. In the meantime .. I'd still like to know the interested in this piece or a duo pack!

Thanks Zexcced!

You're welcome.

If it makes you feel better, I live half way across the globe, and I'm interested into getting one of them. :lol :cheers

That's just one sick looking WIP gadget you got there. Wouldn't want to miss on a good opportunity like this. Hope it works out in a couple of days. :thumbsup

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy : Starlord Gravity Mine & Infinity Orb

You're welcome.

If it makes you feel better, I live half way across the globe, and I'm interested into getting one of them. :lol :cheers

That's just one sick looking WIP gadget you got there. Wouldn't want to miss on a good opportunity like this. Hope it works out in a couple of days. :thumbsup

i would be in for a gravity mine

Both of you added!

I sent the model to the printer today for review .. I'll keep you updated!

Hey guys,
The gravity mine is now at the printer .. will have the high quality print tomorrow so should have an update by then .. then it's molding time!

Orb is a WIP and will be printed in the same high quality plastic .. so that should make an awesome print! Anyone knows the exact dimension (diameter/radius) of the sphere?

Brought my prints home last night .. they're beautiful! Will lightly sand with 400 then mold them up!

You can see my design here .. hinge will have a rob coming out, the exact dimension needed to connect to the other hinge. Then, each leg will clamp around the rods so that they can rotate. A small pin clamps the movement to be accurate to the movie mine in opened and closed position.

16123137952_219b8c7e0c_c.jpg
15938123397_cf5f5be466_c.jpg

15501544974_213a623bf3_c.jpg
16123135972_c813145958_c.jpg

16121951981_3a813f2858_c.jpg
15938120387_1418c1ba8a_c.jpg

16121950281_ee32caf700_c.jpg

Attachments

• 16121950281_ee32caf700_c.jpg
    16121950281_ee32caf700_c.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 147

Will you lose a lot of the fine detail by sanding them?
I've been wary about getting into 3D printing because of the concern that although the printers can "print anything" it appears the parts need a lot of clean up before being useable, which sort of negates the advantage of the speed of the process when you have to spend a lot of time post-print to get them ready to mold/paint.

Sorry, that isn't a reflection of your work just voicing my concerns around the process.

I'd love to see a before and after of the raw print against the cleaned up and primed part, this looks like an interesting project and as someone who has handmade an Orb this could be a nice display piece to accompany it.

Hey renaissance!
Very legit question .. and that's exactly why I don't print on a home made printer! These are good for big soft parts .. but I always find it not so good for detailed parts. That's where you lose details if you sand! :) If you read my first post, I'm sending all my master prints to a polyjet printer which comes up with barely noticeable print line .. I literally had to throw the light on the print to be able to see them ..

I took about 5 minutes last night to sand it with a 400 grit paper .. that's super fine and that's all it takes! Then, I threw some primer on it after gluing both parts together .. That's about as much prep as these are gonne need!

I let you be the judge of the quality of the master in the next post!

Master is almost ready for molding! Just have to completely erase that seam line and finish the primer properly. Again, I only sanded the leg top/bottom parts .. nothing else .. check the quality of the print!

15954873777_0b136334e8_c.jpg

16140650925_a126b2b501_c.jpg

16139888742_e442ba9548_c.jpg

15953335760_5b796e7616_c.jpg

16138732861_d467d0ce1c_c.jpg

15953335290_20ba9ea35d_c.jpg

Now, here's some pics to show how this is gonna be built:

- 3 rods of the right length will come in the kit.
- Insert one rod in each hinge.
- Set one leg around rod and glue clamp on the leg around the rod (make sure not to glue the rod). You can clamp first and insert through rod next. The reason it's made this way if we can't mold this kind of hole.
- Once you have the leg inserted, glue the next hinge to the end of that rod.
- Repeat 3 times.

16139887322_1ba273237f_c.jpg

15520906723_774d98ee04_c.jpg

15953334090_d6b3ec15e6_c.jpg

15518302144_8b11642250_c.jpg

You can see here the channel and pin that will prevent the legs from over-rotating either up or down and will get the exact orientation of the movie prop. Either opened or closed! :)

15953192868_b5b0937b15_c.jpg

16139887622_42bd7307dc_c.jpg

Bump for interest! Cleaning up for molding in progress!!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back