Question How do you edit your thread title and title prefix? (answered)

Re: Updating Thread Titles

I think it's great. I've skipped plenty of threads due to poor naming only to find out later that they were relevant to my interests. And I'd say the vast majority, if not all of them, were just that; poor naming and not some coy verbal dancing around IPs.

Thank you for pointing this out. You couldn't be more correct. Some of the naysayers seem to be of the opinion that we have just arrived on the site and wouldn't know the difference between someone being purposefully coy and a thread title that has been unintentionally mislabeled or titled in such a way that it is not optimize for a search.

One of the key components of this site is sharing information. In fact, I would go as far as saying, sharing is the heart and soul of this site. As more information accumulates, the ability to easily find those nuggets of gold become more and more important and this is a step we feel is important in order to help ensure searches bring back the best information.

I think the staff is honestly doing this to help the members, not primarily for increased ranking, but even if that were the case, the majority of members still win with improved titles and searches that work a ton better than they do now.

Page ranking is nice, but to be honest, the chance of single threads garnering a lot of page rank is highly unlikely (I can think of ONE thread that has a super high page rank) and this change will not have much if any impact on page ranking. What it may affect is improving external search as well as internal... which is just the nature of search. Our internal search engine indexes the site as does external search engines like Bing, Google and Yahoo. It is only logical that if you improve the ability of one to find content, it will also improve the ability of the other.

Thanks for your understanding. We definitely are trying to improve the site and improve our member's ability to find content and it is unfortunate that a few are choosing not to see that.

No Art, you were missing the point of at least my concern, but you explained it better in the pm you sent, which helped me understand what it actually was you were planning.

The example with the mislabeling of *Slave 1* versus the accurate *Slave I* made sense.

But there are still general concerns with the staff just being able to change threads without corresponding with the OP about it first. It is that level of intrusive paternalistic approach that at least I was slightly concerned about.

I think it's great. I've skipped plenty of threads due to poor naming only to find out later that they were relevant to my interests. And I'd say the vast majority, if not all of them, were just that; poor naming and not some coy verbal dancing around IPs.

This.
And the example given in the announcement thread is relevant. I totally skipped the thread labelled 'Mugs' but did check the re-labelled 'Star Trek Mugs' and was thus able to contribute to the poster's request for info.

But there are still general concerns with the staff just being able to change threads without corresponding with the OP about it first. It is that level of intrusive paternalistic approach that at least I was slightly concerned about.

I definitely understand your concern on corresponding with the OP, and it is something we can certainly give more thought on, but with the example I gave you, it was a SQL query find and replace, not done by hand... dozens and dozens of thread titles affected... which is not something that could have been effectively done by hand and going out and telling each OP, "we are changing your thread title by one character." Still, I do understand where your concern is (communication with the OP) and we will give this a bit more consideration.

How do you edit a thread title? (answered)

Hey guys,

quick question: I started a thread for my Tron Costume, and appended the Post's title with (WIP). Though, now that it's done, I can't seem to find a way to delete the (WIP) on it. I tried to edit the original post, but it wouldn't change the title. I'd still like to keep the same thread open as there is some discusion going back and forth on it, but I'd like to change it's title for new people who may ignore it if it's a WIP. Is this a case of "just start a new thread", or am I missing an edit feature on the interface?

Thanks for the Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
re: How do you edit a thread title? (answered)

Did you click on "Go Advanced" to edit the thread title?

Ah, looks like that worked: When I originally tried to edit the initial post, I didn't realize it threw me into just quick edit mode. Got it updated, Thank you!!!

:D

You're welcome. :)

Changed this threads title to help others.

How to change the name of your thread? (Answered)

I looked around the FAQ and I don't know how to change the title of my thread? Please help, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Changing Thread Title? (answered)

I was wondering how to change thread titles? I want to put an updated date in the title whenever I post a new update, not just a random reply, so people know there is something new posted since the last time they were on, or so they know it's finished.

Something like "Blah Blah NEW PICS 13/JUN/2011" or "Blah Blah COMPLETED 13/JUN/2011".

Is this a Moderator-only option, because I see it all the time around the forums and haven't figured it out yet. :confused

Thanks!

re: Changing Thread Title? (answered)

Go to your OP. Edit - Go Advanced - Change Title - Save. :)

..... service with a smile

Instructions for editing your thread title and title prefix (if applicable).

1) Click the "Edit" button at the bottom of the first post in the thread.

2) Click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the edit window.

3) Edit the text in the "Title:" box.

3a) Click the prefix drop down to change the title prefix (if applicable).

4) Click the "Save Changes" button.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back