Question How do you edit your thread title and title prefix? (answered)

Re: Editing thread title. How to...

Bah! It wont allow thread title edits without doing some other stuff... We'll look it over and think up a solution.

Re: Editing Thread TITLES????

I Hope they change it because it will mean more duplicate threads beacuse people need to change the title for what ever reason.

Lynn

Is it possible to edit thread titles?

I'd like to change a title to reflect some of the things that have been added to my post. Is there a way to do that?

Re: Is it possible to edit thread titles?

Just click the "Edit" button and then the "Go Advanced" in the bottom right of the edit window. This will bring up all your text and the thread title which you can alter.

Updating Thread Titles

Hey Art, since it's not possible to comment in the announcements section I thought I could do it here. My question is just: why? Isn't it the poster's own responsibility to make his/her thread title as clear as possible to attract as much interest as possible and their own fault if they fail to do so with vague titles?

Give the people back their own choice of how to attract attention to their threads and stop being super-nanny.

Re: Updating Thread Titles

I appreciate the concern, but the "why" was given in the first paragraph of the announcement thread. There is an influx of new members who are not as immediately familiar with topics as us old timers and if by changing a word or two to make a title more clear helps, we feel it is well worth it. Not only that, but by adding key words that are searched for or modifying a term to a more searched for term will also help when members use the site's search function to look for a topic of interest.

Implying this is somehow taking away a member's "choice of how to attract attention to their thread" is misleading at least and paranoid at worst.

If we were changing a title from "Guess what I got for Christmas" to "I got a new Luke Skywalker lightsaber for Christmas" it would be one thing, but to add simple information (usually a word or two) to better help members identify the content of a thread isn't taking away choice. It is unfortunate you choose to see it that way.

The big problem here is that propmakers may choose to call a given item something other than it is by design...

It may be out of respect for the licensee or they may have their own reasons. So, now we can't even name our own threads?

Speaking as a grown man and a prop maker, I find it insulting that someone would presume that I don't have enough sense to title my own thread as I see fit. There are some words I'm uncomfortable with. Now, I can be edited??

Or, is this to keep things rolling through Google on the highest possible profile?

I have to say, I feel less and less comfortable here with each passing day. Pitty, I've talked with a number of builders in the last week alone who've said the same thing. It might not be such a bad thing for staff to perhaps consult a couple builders every so often for a little feedback. You guys are rebuilding this site from a collectors point of view with zero thought as to how it affects those of us who provide props. In particular 'Replica Props." As in RPF??

Looking at your post again, here.

Nope. I don't get it.

I know exactly how much attention I want a given thread to have every single time I post. If I choose to drop a word here or there in an effort to avoid "tagging myself" then it's my right.

I mean, you guys have no idea what sort of 'cease fire' may have been arranged when we post here. I've flat been asked not to refer to certain items as certain things before. I've even been contacted after sharing certain things here and asked to retitle my threads.

You're going to far and making it much too difficult for many of us to participate without second guessing everything we do.

I appreciate the concern, but the "why" was given in the first paragraph of the announcement thread. There is an influx of new members who are not as immediately familiar with topics as us old timers and if by changing a word or two to make a title more clear helps, we feel it is well worth it. Not only that, but by adding key words that are searched for or modifying a term to a more searched for term will also help when members use the site's search function to look for a topic of interest.

Implying this is somehow taking away a member's "choice of how to attract attention to their thread" is misleading at least and paranoid at worst.

If we were changing a title from "Guess what I got for Christmas" to "I got a new Luke Skywalker lightsaber for Christmas" it would be one thing, but to add simple information (usually a word or two) to better help members identify the content of a thread isn't taking away choice. It is unfortunate you choose to see it that way.

Rylo, your concerns are duly noted and since we aren't doing an automated updating we have the ability to check a thread to see if it is a seller type thread or a simple informational request thread... it is also why for the most part we are steering clear of the junkyard, so your interest/sales will most likely remain untouched.

Beyond that, speaking as a board member who has known you and seen your posts for years, I doubt you would have to worry too much about your thread title being edited as you title them in a way that is pretty easily discernible to anyone.

If there are indeed "a number of builders" with concerns... well, you have my direct phone number, feel free to give it to them, or they can email me or PM me or PM any other staff member. It isn't like the we aren't very easily accessible, yet when push comes to shove on any type of change like this, it is always the same few people who are "uncomfortable" with the change and the vast majority just keep rolling on.

While you may not see it or understand it, we actually are considering those who provide props and we take it into consideration with everything we do, and you should know that first hand since we have honored a number of your specific requests that were ignored in the past. The fact that we may not do every single thing you want is not an indicator that there is "zero thought" for you or other builders and it is a shame you see it in an all or nothing light.

It does sound like you're going this to make the thread titles (and the page titles on which they appear) more "search engine friendly." I mean Google, not our vBulletin search which keeps timing out...

-Matt

our vBulletin search which keeps timing out...

Matt,

Our hosting provider made changes to the SQL server late yesterday that seems to have improved this dramatically in terms of searches. I have been testing searches throughout the day today and have had no issues. Have you had issue with the vBulletin search feature today?!?

Tonight, around 8:00 EST, it was really, really slow.

But, that's not the topic at hand. Are you pushing Google search engine friendly topics?

Are you pushing Google search engine friendly topics?

You have arranged your question quite cleverly to only allow the answer you already believe to be the case.

A more appropriate question is: "Will altering thread titles make pages on this site more friendly to external search engines?"

The answer to that question is, of course it will. If it improves the internal (vBulletin) search engine, then by default, because we are allowing the site to be indexed, it will also improve an external search engine. The two more or less go hand in hand.

The question is, why are you asking this since I assume you already know the answer due to your own site's Google rankings? #2 for "Star Trek Patches" and #4 for "Star Wars Patches" isn't bad at all!

I would say that if users - new and old - can't properly name their titles, it's their own problem and not yours to amend.

If I want more exposure I'll rename the title to better reflect what interest I'll garner, or when it isn't possible to update the title, I'll contact staff about it. Not for one second will I accept any of my titles to be changed by someone else, without my expressed request or without my knowing. I find that notion insulting and offensive.

Let the noobs and veterans learn by their mistakes with vague thread titles, so they'll know that they'll garner better interest and more viewers and comments if they name their threads clear and accordingly. Taken that away... well... then why should anyone care what they put in their titles, if you are just there to determine and change at will.

The same as moving threads out of the OT that was put there for a specific reason, without first consulting the OP about the possibly moving it.

Toomuchgarlic,

what do you prefer when looking for information about a certain item?

Do you prefer having the search results displayed by thread titles or with single messages shown?

You get 100 results, having to go through all of those to find the information you need, do you prefer to jump into each single message shown that matches your search criteria (even if it is just a short mention of a prop or a costume in an otherwise totally unrelated discussion about a new movie), or would you prefer to find a thread title that leaves no doubt that the info you are looking for WILL be found in compressed form in that thread?

How do you go about reading the RPF?

What are you looking for in the RPF itself?
Source of information or platform to show things of?

Michael

The question is, why are you asking this since I assume you already know the answer due to your own site's Google rankings? #2 for "Star Trek Patches" and #4 for "Star Wars Patches" isn't bad at all!

Apples and Oranges. The site you speak of is an ecommerce site. The RPF is not. Unless, of course, you're increasing page rank to increase traffic to Google Adwords and affiliate banners. Which, if you notice, I have quite a few affiliate banners, too. I understand the power and income that a properly run affiliate program wields. I think you do, too.

I agree with what's been said in this thread before by other members. We're adults. We shouldn't have to have our thread titles edited or censored because someone thinks they can do a better job of calling attention to our threads. Maybe, under some case, they're vague on purpose. If an unlicensed prop maker is making an unlicensed run of "Saturday Night Live Happy Fun Balls" and doesn't want to bring down the heavy beak of the peacock, then perhaps he titles the thread "Super Orange Bouncy Balls". Then, an admin comes along and re-titles the thread "Happy Fun Balls as seen on SNL."

You might as well go into the user's profile and provide the license holder with the user's contact information. (I realize that might not happen, but I'm just saying this to prove my point.)

That's the basic issue most people are upset about. I don't think you realize that, though. I think you're just going to reply to tell us it's "better" for the RPF. We (the membership) do believe it is better in a way. But, it's not better in a way that benefits prop makers who are not license holders. You're driving those members away.

I think it's great. I've skipped plenty of threads due to poor naming only to find out later that they were relevant to my interests. And I'd say the vast majority, if not all of them, were just that; poor naming and not some coy verbal dancing around IPs.

I think the staff is honestly doing this to help the members, not primarily for increased ranking, but even if that were the case, the majority of members still win with improved titles and searches that work a ton better than they do now.

And the sink or swim argument is honestly pretty sad. Some people have problems articulating exactly what they are trying to convey, especially with something as small as a thread title that offers just a few characters. This move helps them out, which isn't a bad thing. It's actually a decent thing to do.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back