Iron man attempt

Re: Iron man sanding frustration...

a little trick i learned from resining and fiberglassing my own iron man these past days is that hot or cold does not really matter(The hot weather helps of course).Just find a place that's windy enough and leave it overnight.I tried this and the next day my helmet was hard as a rock.But you still have to use the right amount of resin catalyst(AKA hardener)
I am off to the body filler process on Monday.
BTW happy new year!! XD

"Hot" and "cold" can be very relative terms depending on where you live, and can matter very significantly.

Temperatures near or below freezing can (and will) slow the catalytic reaction down to the point where it might as well not be taking place at all. We keep mixed resins in a freezer at work to prevent them from kicking before we have a chance to use the whole batch. They'll remain liquid for several days in that environment.

My unheated garage = freezer this time of year. :lol I have to take all my projects to work and use the composite shop there, because I don't have a space here at home that's both heated and well-ventilated enough to do any figerglass layup.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, rafy - just sharing my own personal experience. :)

ive made some progress ill try to put some pics up this weekend. i think i was trying to do to many things at once so im foucsing on one piece at a time. right now im trying to get the helmet good to go

Well im still alive and i am working , slowly, on my project here is a couple pics of my handplates, mk iv. ive also scrapped some pieces and im debating on scrapping my helm. i think ive learned a lot over the past few months and will be able to have better quality project.

Re: Iron man back on track.

Its better to scrap something and start fresh if you have doubts on something. I do that. It sure beats thinking about whether its going to work out or not and have it sitting there.
Doesn't take much just to redo it anyways.

Has anyone attempted the "suitcase" ironman?

there are a few attempts, each using varying techniques. i've seen one made from trash cans and rivets, a few out of cardboard, and even one on this forum that is being made out of latex, which is looking pretty cool

well im still alive people, I decided to start over on the helmet and im happy with the progress so far, so here is a lil update. i still have some symetry issues to work through but im working through it.

for the silicone i use rebound 25 from smooth on and for the shell you can use good old fiberglass cloth and resin or if you dont like the fumes you can use fiberglass cloth and a expoy resin such as epoxamite from smooth on as well

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back