Iron man attempt

Re: Iron man statue/ wearable coustume

Have you resined the pep pieces yet? You'll need to harden the card stock before you can bondo. I don't think the paper is rigid enough to apply bondo directly to it.

I recently started a War Machine based on Juice's files about a week after you started this build. Great progress btw!

I'm glad you brought up the topic of the bendy joint areas. I have alginate, but it's meant for making negative molds not so much for casting parts. I think the pre-made hoses are a better idea as casting the parts can get quite expensive.

ive resined some pieces and i will fibeglass befor i bondo. i did a iron man faceplate in bondo just to experiment so i think i figured out some tricks. im really focusing on the minor details i.e the joints. Im also prepping a Halo spartan armor and will focus on the undersuit before pressing on with the armor. @ vkain do you have a war machine thread?

Haven't started one yet. Just trying to get it done before Halloween. LOTS of work haha. There's just been so many Ironman threads out there already. I kinda feel bad cause I have a Blood Dragon armor thread that's on the back burner while I'm focusing on War Machine.

Maybe I'll start one, but it'll probably be like most other IM threads, bunch of pictures of pepped pieces. Although it IS fun to watch the progress :)

well just a small update i redid my chest using robo;s file and i went and bought some 1/4in dowel rods to use as braces form all my pieces, then i strung them all together. it was encouraging to see my project coming together. I need to get a new print cartridge so i can finish pepping then i will move on to the resin process.

i'd suggest adding robo's supports to the abs to keep em shaped right, but other than that, right on man!

ok guys and gals here is a lil update.
(p.s. the updates are really for me it helps to keep me motivated!) any who all thepieces that i have pepped have been resined and i put the first layer of joint compound on some of them to smooth them out. i spent tonight doing some sanding on a couple of pieces and so far im pretty happy. I have notice some symetry issue which are bothering me but im just orderd some apoxie sculpt to help put with that problem. @ brim i took your advice(sorta) and made up some support struts, however i decided to use dowel rods. the rods are great and give me something to hold on to when im working on the pieces. well below are some pics for your viewing pleasure!.

P.S ive decided im gonna mold my pieces thats why im using the joint compound.

and i need to invest in a shop vac :lol

Making some great progress!!! Absolutely fantastic. Ultimately I think you need to get back to Kansas and we'll make some progress together. Still looking for a hulk buster solution, or at least a good mark I. I'm a big guy, so i can't pull off war machine or any of the normal Iron Man suits. I'll hopefully have a shop setup by the start of the years ^_^ I have a friend or two that did auto body for years so they can help with smoothing things out, and making sure there is a durable, good looking coat of paint for the finished project. I even have access to a full paint booth for that portion of things. Anyway, keep me posted, I'll try to venture out to check on it in person. Looking like November is booked solid, but i should have some free time in december for playing around.

bobby! thanks for the compliments! there is a guy on here working on a hulk buster...

Can you link it? And i'm serious about setting up my shop!!! You need to get home so we can make awesome goodness!!!

so ive been quiet for a while because i have been working on sanding and adding details. Im hitting some setbacks as the sheetrock ive put on is falling off in chunks while im sanding and my helmet is just so warpped i dont think i can fix it. its frustrating... i think im gonna start over on my helmet from pep. some of my other pieces are doing ok.... sigh... i knew this was gonna be some work but wow! any ways i just wanted to vent and maybe get some feedback on other peoples set backs and what not so i know that im not alone. i also think i might shift focus to another project just for a change of pace.

Re: Iron man sanding frustration...

A change in projects is always good, some times that break allows you the time and space to re gear and come back with a fresh view and new ideas.
Ive been workin on the mark v helmet and last nite switched back to working on my war machine helmet. It was a welcomed break and also came up with some new ideas.
Your progress looks great, keep plugging away at it!

Hey JW. I'm currently doing the same method. Using joint compound to smooth. The key is to seal it in.
I've had success with using enamel Spraypaint, though I suspect that Puting a coat of polyurethane on top would go leaps and bounds above the enamel.
I've tried the bondo route which was far more frustrating. Stick with it JW. Good luck.

@alaster- i tried the bondo as well very frustrating. i was thinking about doing something like that maybe even a layer of resin. im having a simular issue with my cap america shield teh edges keep chippin. oh well its a learning process glad to know im not alone.

For the spaces between the armor, I think the drain hose / vaccuum hoses would be rather rigid and cumbersome even though they would give the look you are going for perfectly. What about vaccuum forming craft foam around the tubing to give the look you are going for while being much more flexible and comfortable....at least it seems like it would in theory...just a thought.

@ KAGN -slow. its been pretty cold here and havent been able to get much done.

yup the white stuff is all over the place here in Canada, i found that investing in a small work shop heater was a great idea lol. I look forward to seeing your progress, keep up the great work bro

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back