Jordan Peele's Us (Post-release)

What did you think of Us?

• Total voters
Saw the film. Without discussing tons of story/plot details, my immediate reactions went from anticipation and excitement (BEFORE seeing the film) to confusion, intrigue, questioning/pondering, enlightenment and back to anticipation and excitement for a rewatch (all AFTER seeing the film).

Two things:

1) I’d love to hear other RPF members’ reactions on the film. Sound off!

2) I REALLY want to know where I can find both exact (e.g., real) and prop (e.g., convention safe replica) golden scissors like those from the movie. Any leads?? If so post here or toss me a PM.

Let’s get this thread going!!

So, I don't really do horror movies. Not some "they creep me out" angle, they just basically never do it for me, so I don't imagine I'll ever watch this one. But I am curious if you horror viewers consider it to be a horror film that "pays off", like ALIEN, or even the original Friday the 13th; or is it doing a lot of it's heavy lifting with just making stuff look weird, and jump scares?

I don’t consider it horror at all. I don’t know what it is.

Are spoilers allowed?

It’s creepy, but you never really know what’s going on, or you think you know but you’re wrong.

I need a rewatch to see how certain things I may have missed played out earlier.

But holy crap Lupita is good in this.

Just got home from Us. No real spoilers - but, it could I loved Jordan Peele's first movie, Get Out - had some crazy turns but still raved about it. Us looked amazing from the first preview - the trailer was just perfect. I looked forward to Us so much because of it.Us is a good movie. It's well written, well directed and has all the makings of another great outing by Jordan Peele. But, I didn't like it. It's not a bad movie - it just didn't work for me.

--- my comment contains no real spoilers, but if you haven't seen it - this might spoil part of the overall scope of the movie ---

Maybe the trailer just looked so damn amazing to me. Maybe my expectations were just a little too much... but the plot just didn't work for me. Us gave us a lot - maybe, just maybe it gave us too much.

the movie was very disappointing. the acting was top-notch. And it had it's funny moments. Movie was predictable from the beginning. I figured out the twist pretty earlier on in the film. Kinda obvious the two girls switched in the mirror fun house.

then if you didnt realize the switch, the movie hints at you there was a switch
-psychologist office scene saying "she wants her daughter back"
-prince fell for the shadow
-how the mom didnt try to kill the shadow kids and reactions towards them
etc etc

and ending was just eh with the hold hands thing.

Just overall not a good film.

I saw it today...I really enjoyed it.

I noticed a few of the clues foreshadowing the very end, but wrote them off as “Nah, there’s no way that can be.”

The acting was superb, it was extremely creepy, and like NeoRutty I’d like a second viewing to see what kind is stuff I missed.

I will say that the “why” of the events was a weak point to me...it almost seemed like Peele had this great story in his head but couldn’t figure out a good reason for it to happen, so he just kind of threw that together.

Overall, though, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Great movie, but the second you start trying to think out the details of what/why/how it starts falling apart fast.

- When and how does the actual control of the "soul" change? Just be being chained to a bed down there?
- If everyone whos tethered has to act out whats going on above, whose keeping those white hallways and rooms spotless? And where do they get their materials and other props?
- And who was able to make MILLIONS of matching uniforms?
- An if the project was abandoned generations ago, why are there still more tethered being born with matching counterparts after the fact, (her children)

It’s creepy, but you never really know what’s going on, or you think you know but you’re wrong.

I got spoiled about a certain reveal, thanks to some careless reviews, and I found it actually helped my enjoyment of the movie. I don't think certain things would have made as much sense as they did if I hadn't already known it in advance.

Kind of makes me think it shouldn't have been a surprise, or least it should have been sprung on viewers earlier than it was. I felt the jig was up once it became clear that the Tethered were
recreating Hands Across America,
but the movie kept delaying the twist. A very odd decision on Peele's part.

Otherwise I really liked it. There's a lot to chew on, but my take is the relationship between the Tethered and "normal" people represents the American celebration of material success over all other values, even at the expense of human life. It really snapped into focus for me when we saw
the duplicate of Elizabeth Moss's character
putting on lipstick and smiling, right after a bloody murder. She looked so serene, like having an attractive middle-class appearance was the only thing that mattered, and not the bloody horror she'd just been part of.

Having been completely gripped by Get Out when I saw it at the cinema without having read or seen anything about it, I was primed for another Jordan Peele story.
I saw the trailer for Us whilst visiting Boston, USA with my girlfriend last Christmas. The Luniz track in the trailer was perfect. I was set.
We watched it last week and it was okay. I wasn't blown away. I guess it's the classic "difficult 2nd album" problem.
The acting was great, the characters were pretty good.
I guessed the big twist as soon as Adelaide came face to back (of head!) with her Tethered alternate.
I hope we get another zinger like Get Out from Jordan with his next effort but for me, Us was an average film with the feel of Netflix Original type offering. A shame, but I know he is a great talent and I look forward to his next film.

Seconded! Anyone else hunting for screen accurate "Us" scissors? Any leads??

They were made for the film since the handles resemble two faces.

My friend 3D printed one for me
IMG_8789.jpg

I saw it today...I really enjoyed it.

I noticed a few of the clues foreshadowing the very end, but wrote them off as “Nah, there’s no way that can be.”

The acting was superb, it was extremely creepy, and like NeoRutty I’d like a second viewing to see what kind is stuff I missed.

I will say that the “why” of the events was a weak point to me...it almost seemed like Peele had this great story in his head but couldn’t figure out a good reason for it to happen, so he just kind of threw that together.

Overall, though, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I am Agree with you.....!!

They were made for the film since the handles resemble two faces.

My friend 3D printed one for me View attachment 1008462

Is this a known fact or just a guess? Either way, I like the two faces detail. Other thought: Most scissiors have a larger and smaller handle. Would it be possible to take two scissors, pull them apart and reassemble with just the larger handles so they are the same size?

Is this a known fact or just a guess? Either way, I like the two faces detail. Other thought: Most scissiors have a larger and smaller handle. Would it be possible to take two scissors, pull them apart and reassemble with just the larger handles so they are the same size?
there was an interview with the designer and iot said that the scissors represent the tethered and normal person

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back