Kit: Cast resin vs SLA resin print

jas070680

All,

I hope this is the proper place to pose this question. This is not an interest thread but rather a general kit question. I am thinking of making a kit run on my Wheems from "batteries not included" (see video below). The one shown was SLA printed. The thought process is that I could achieve crisp detail with undercuts where necessary.

As people in the kit building community I pose the following question to you: IS there a general preference of cast resin vs SLA resin (Formlabs standard resin-50 microns) parts? If so, why?

Thanks,
Jason

The SLA prints will be more 'perfect' in that, assuming the source 3D model is modeled well, the panel lines and details are going to be better or at the very least more consistent than a human hand can sculpt. With that being said not all SLA is created equal so very small features may not show up well and a 50 micro layer height still requires sanding and filling to get a smooth surface finish. Additionally the support material required to do most overhangs on a 50 micron print do require a little cutting and sanding to remove which takes time.

I personally prefer printed but that's only because I have a process that eliminates most of the downsides of the above at the expense of high resin cost and ridiculously long print times. If it is Formlabs vs resin its really a tossup depending on the exact model type and geometry.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back