Kurtz Dossier from Apocalypse Now (open source for all!)

Okay I ordered these as they are $7 for 100. I will add the vinyl cover, etc. The Uline ones were gonna be $75 for 50 so I am gonna try the cheaper option first.

I bought these. They are a little small, but I can use them for other things and experiment to see if adding the adhesive vinyl would work at all before I drop $75 on the Uline ones

I bought these. They are a little small, but I can use them for other things and experiment to see if adding the adhesive vinyl would work at all before I drop $75 on the Uline ones

Hey sorry I haven't been as active, school has been taking up a lot of my time. I just ordered the wax stamp and it should be here in around 2 weeks!

No worries. Same here. Been dealing with black mold found in my house.

I got the onion paper. It's the correct type this time. Got my map pouch, etc. I will post pics and get a bunch of stuff sent to you ASAP.

Okay, not much. Still busy dealing with life, but I tried painting one of the pouches. To my surprise as well it seems to work. The problem is the plastic is not nice and clear so it throws off the look.

I also got the pencils and the last of the orders for now.

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 14
So with the paint working I think I will order these after the first.

They look to be nice and clear as they are for commercial use. The snap looks plastic. I don't know how hard it will be to replace it with the metal snap, but I will try one one. I will have lots of extras I can send out as well.

I just noticed in these U line ones there is a hang hole. That will throw off the look. Only stick on Vinyl would cover it so I am gonna play with one of my cheap ones to see how it will look before ordering.

Hello folks! Want to make a replica of Kurtz's Dossier? You have come to the right place!

After seeing Adam Savages build of his Dossier, I instantly knew I had to make one. I have made paper props before like the grail diary, but this has proved to be an entirely different beast. There is just such a large amount of material and small parts and for me personally I found that really overwhelming to get started. It is my goal here to upload all material I have compiled into a organized and accessible place. The files uploaded here are a mix of a lot of Adams work from his Dossier, as well as files I have made myself. I am quite new to photoshopping stuff and making the documents so forgive me if there are some things that are not 100% accurate. I am always wanting to make it better so feel free to point something out that doesn't look quite right! Ivory's will be updated as I add more material.

The documents are sorted by the Different Ivory's. Page 1 is the top piece of paper for that Ivory it goes in order underneath from there. Documents labeled with (OS) are to be printed in onion skin paper. Don't have access to that? Simply take some tracing paper and adhere it to some regular printer paper with a glue stick around the edges. Trim the edges. This will give it enough grab to feed into most consumer printers. you can simply then peel off the paper and there should be little to no residue. For assembly watch Adams video seen here:
It will be your bible.

(PHOTOS) All the photos that need to be printed out can be found here!: Kurtz Dossier (In the miscellaneous I have included the clippings that can be adhered to specific photos seen is Adams video)

(VINYL POUCHES) One of the more difficult parts is going to be getting the correct vinyl pouches. The only way to really get them is to have them custom made. I don't have the cash to do that but I have found these: Snap Closure Vinyl Envelopes - 6 x 9 They are not perfect but they are pretty damn close.

(CLASSIFIED FOLDER) Ivory's 3 and 4 both have a red jacker that covers them indicating they contain classified documents. There is 2 options for getting these. You can download the file called red-grunge-background found in the misscelaneous section and then adhere it to a donor folder or you can buy these folders called "Skillcraft classification folders" here is an example :Office Depot Brand Pressboard Classification Folders With Fasteners, 2 Dividers, Letter Size (8-1/2in x 11in), 2in Expansion, 100% Recycled, Red, Box Of 10 Credit goes to Jamesfett for finding these!

(US ARMY WAX STAMP) When Willard first gets the dossier, there is a shot where he tears off the string of the folder and breaks a seal. I am assuming this is a standard US army eagle. I found one that looks very close found here: US Army Symbol Wax Seal Stamp

UPDATE LOG:
-added insert that is glued on to the inside of the red folder. It can be found in miscellaneous (03/30/24)
-added front and back of 1960s Vietnamese ids (03/31/24)
-added last to pages for Ivory 3. It is now complete. (03/31/24)
-Finished ivory 4 (03/31/24)
-added TIME magazine cover in miscellaneous (04/09/24)
-added the envelope that gets handed to Willard at the start in miscellaneous (04/10/24)
Is there a pdf of the orders Willards gets while at the Hotel? I see the envelope but not the letter.

Okay, not much. Still busy dealing with life, but I tried painting one of the pouches. To my surprise as well it seems to work. The problem is the plastic is not nice and clear so it throws off the look.

I also got the pencils and the last of the orders for now.
Alright I did some searching and found these. Not perfect but I think we are a little past that point haha! There are 2 different sizes, one being smaller and one bigger then 6x9 inches but I don't think it would be an issue. They have no hole punched or snap so that could be added. Also an added bonus that you can buy just one and not have to buy in bulk.

(smaller) EverydayPlastics.com - Vinyl Pouches with Flap, ePC-0771-JT Page

(bigger) EverydayPlastics.com - Vinyl Pouches with Flap, e35-0496-Strap Page

Thank you!
No problem. Are you planning on making one? me and James are more than happy to help you find stuff or ship you stuff! I have a lot of the red labels made, butterfly paper clips, paper fasteners, envelopes, and soon the correct red wax stamp. I can totally send you stuff, its not an issue (y)

No problem. Are you planning on making one? me and James are more than happy to help you find stuff or ship you stuff! I have a lot of the red labels made, butterfly paper clips, paper fasteners, envelopes, and soon the correct red wax stamp. I can totally send you stuff, its not an issue (y)

Yes, I am just starting the build. Recently caught Adam Savage's video got inspired. Just rewatched the movie!

Adam says the big side opening manila folder with the seals is 9”x12”. That seams small, but he is the man so I assume that is correct.

Okay later he seems to correct this and says it's a
10"x15" side opening Document envelope
Made by Quality Park Products
Item number 54301
They have these on Amazon but they are quite expensive as they are in a box of 100 (Amazon.com). Anyone have a spare they would be or two they would be willing to sell?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back