Let's Build a TIE Bomber!

The fuselage is 2" dia. These guys were in California building these models, I doubt most of them used Metric, stupid America. Also, you have to go off of known measurements, like kit parts. I never trust anyone elses measurements or even my own (that's a paraphrase from someone else, I forget who). The cross bar is .75in.

i think i found my root of the problems
View attachment 1812834the red area witch is not seen in the front or rear view, is inside the thick part, maybe i should have made it green
but u can already see, that not all views are to scale to each other

all views have a main fuselage of 52mm, except the bottom view, wich is smaller, only 51mm
View attachment 1812840
long story short, watch out your measurements
i have chosen now 21,5mm for the "x"

and Boxcar Bret, witch measurment did u take for the fuselage now, did u find an abs tube of 2 inches(50,8mm)?
will you work with 51mm or 52mm?
witch of both is actualy correct?

I used 2" ABS Gray Tube from Plastruct (TB-200)

Like SWgeek said, don't trust other's measurements, even your own. In my short time doing scratch builds I've learned to trust but verify. Look at your reference and use known measurements of parts. I will use plans, photos, collective research from the RPF and after all that it comes down to averaging all the information into a calculated guess and rolling the dice. Sometimes it works and sometimes you end up hitting people for parts.

Also, make sure that all prints are to the same 'scale' in both X and Y directions, using the included rulers (there just for that purpose). Some printing/repro/scanning results may introduce some distortion (a well-known (?) issue with some copiers due to a parallax error.)
Cheers! Robert

Boxcar Bret
can u make detail picture of the shinano part, i think the retooling kit 31215 doent have them, only the original 77024
Maybe the "rocket launchers" part D14 :unsure: of 31215
d14.png

May 5, 2024

Work that body! Work that body! With the wings in a reasonable state of completion it was starting to look like a Star War.

IMG_5463.jpg

It was time to measure out and cut the openings in the body tubes for the armature.

The plan was to drill the holes for the round pipe to pass through both sides and then open up the inward facing sides to accommodate the mounting block. I started by finding the center and marking it with scribe.

IMG_5535.jpg

I then took it to the drill press to drill a 1/8" pilot hole.

IMG_5537.jpg

Once the pilot hole was drilled I switched to a step bit to open up the hole. My step bits are from Horror Freight so they're not quite .75" but actually worked in my favor because it made for a nice snug fit.

IMG_5536.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

After a little clean up I gave them a test fit and I couldn't be happier with the results.

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5543.jpg

The next part was awkward but if anyone has a better idea please share it. With the body tubes aligned I traced the shape of the mounting block onto them.

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5545.jpg

This was done accurate as possible with the understanding that I would "sneak up" on the fit. Once I had the openings drawn out I cut them out using a Dremel being careful to get close but not too close to the markings.

IMG_5546.jpg

I proceeded to clean up the openings using a combination of 100 and 150 grit sanding sticks and files trying as hard as possible to keep the everything square and the edges sharp. By going slow and testing the fit as I went it started to fit.

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5549.jpg

Before I knew it it was starting to look like a TIE bomber!

IMG_5550.jpg

A little fine tuning and I was there.

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5555.jpg

What better way to celebrate and to motivate myself than to dry fit some parts to preview what's ahead.

IMG_5560.jpg

Next up? The dreaded scribing.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024
Work that body! Work that body! With the wings in a reasonable state of completion it was starting to look like a Star War.

View attachment 1820941

It was time to measure out and cut the openings in the body tubes for the armature.

The plan was to drill the holes for the round pipe to pass through both sides and then open up the inward facing sides to accommodate the mounting block. I started by finding the center and marking it with scribe.

View attachment 1820942

I then took it to the drill press to drill a 1/8" pilot hole.

View attachment 1820943

Once the pilot hole was drilled I switched to a step bit to open up the hole. My step bits are from Horror Freight so they're not quite .75" but actually worked in my favor because it made for a nice snug fit.

View attachment 1820948

View attachment 1820949

View attachment 1820950

After a little clean up I gave them a test fit and I couldn't be happier with the results.

View attachment 1820951

View attachment 1820952

The next part was awkward but if anyone has a better idea please share it. With the body tubes aligned I traced the shape of the mounting block onto them.

View attachment 1820953

View attachment 1820954

This was done accurate as possible with the understanding that I would "sneak up" on the fit. Once I had the openings drawn out I cut them out using a Dremel being careful to get close but not too close to the markings.

View attachment 1820955

I proceeded to clean up the openings using a combination of 100 and 150 grit sanding sticks and files trying as hard as possible to keep the everything square and the edges sharp. By going slow and testing the fit as I went it started to fit.

View attachment 1820956

View attachment 1820957

View attachment 1820958

Before I knew it it was starting to look like a TIE bomber!

View attachment 1820963

A little fine tuning and I was there.

View attachment 1820959

View attachment 1820962

View attachment 1820966

View attachment 1820967

View attachment 1820968

View attachment 1820965

What better way to celebrate and to motivate myself than to dry fit some parts to preview what's ahead.

View attachment 1820969

Next up? The dreaded scribing.
8q9y1m.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back