Question links hijacked by "Viglink"? (answered)

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am not experiencing this myself, but people are telling me on this thread

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275320&p=4220545

...that my links to Ebay auctions are being hijacked to some site called "Viglink." This does not happen to me however, I have checked it on multiple browsers and on Mac and iPhone and it goes to Ebay fine.

Has anybody else heard of this Viglink thing? I feel like it must be some sort of hijacking but I think it must be taking place in between the RPF and ebay, or in between certain members and the RPF.

Karl

Re: links hijacked by "Viglink"?

Here's an image from my phone.
I've never posted an image from my phone, so I hope this works.
Screenshot_20170402-165804.png
I'm using an Android phone with Chrome.

Very weird. I cannot replicate that on Mac or iPhone. Closest I can get is reading RPF in the Chrome browser, which gives me a blank first post in the thread, except for a couple of links that go to my posted photos.

IMG_0052.PNG

The link you posted is okay on firefox but i have so many security things running that it might be blocking the hijack.

I am not experiencing this myself, but people are telling me on this thread

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275320&p=4220545

...that my links to Ebay auctions are being hijacked to some site called "Viglink." This does not happen to me however, I have checked it on multiple browsers and on Mac and iPhone and it goes to Ebay fine.

Has anybody else heard of this Viglink thing? I feel like it must be some sort of hijacking but I think it must be taking place in between the RPF and ebay, or in between certain members and the RPF.

Karl
We are looking into it but haven't been able to duplicate the issue on our end.

I get to your auction just fine on iPhone.

I'm pretty sure Viglink is a legit service used by eBay, so I'm going to guess that something was up with their system which was causing the link you posted not to redirect to EBay correctly. You probably couldn't replicate the problem because it was already cached on your browser. I've had that happen a lot with photo links...people will tell me they're seeing nothing, but I'm seeing the photo on my page. Always turns out there's a problem with the link not working but the image has been saved in my cache so I still see it.

It also may be an advertising system that is being used on the board here. If you Google "Viglink TheRPF" you get a list of threads that have Viglink links in them.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=264912&page=3

The third post in that thread has one, yet when clicked it still takes you to the right destination.

Last edited:

Well if Viglink is legit, it's the stupidest idea I've seen on the internet in a long time.

"Hey, let's create an inexplicable redirect that takes you to somewhere other than where you wanted to go! And let's make it look totally fake and suspicious! But it's actually on the level! Get it?"

Ugh.

Just discovered some of my links have been hijacked with this viglink BS. This is a serious site hack for theRPF! My links are supposed to go to my site and have nothing to do with ebay. One of the link redirects asks if you want to go to the nordstroms site or ebay.

This vid explains how it works:

Someone is making a ton of money with re-directs and hacked links.

I just went in to edit my post and I got this message vie chrome:

"Chrome detected unusual code on this page and blocked it to protect your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards)."
Montagar - Have you guys discovered anything further on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guys, I am out of town with limited access but let me look into this. We use viglink and have for years, but it shouldn't be changing links to a different site. This is not a hack and the site is not compromised but there is clearly an issue with how the product is operating if it is changing site links to a completely different site. Will report back when I have more info.

This is getting ridiculous. It seems like every link I post is getting hijacked and directed there. :unsure

I had to go through every single sales thread and delete all my links. I've actually lost business on this due to customers telling me my site isn't working or that it's been hacked because the links are taking them to a spam/pop-up page with ebay site links, or links to other websites, etc.

Not cool guys. :thumbsdown

Finally got an answer on this issue. Viglink introduced a new "feature" and automatically enabled that feature without letting us know. We have now addressed the problem and disabled that feature as it is simply too invasive and aggressive with regard to editing external URLs.

Finally got an answer on this issue. Viglink introduced a new "feature" and automatically enabled that feature without letting us know. We have now addressed the problem and disabled that feature as it is simply too invasive and aggressive with regard to editing external URLs.

@Art Andrews,
I am getting reports that this issue is still occurring for some people on a link I posted this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back