Louis J. Pearlman darth vader helmet

sskunky

Sr Member
Hi,
does anyone here know what helmet it was that Louis J. Pearlman had in his collection? It was sold as a screen used ANH helmet.

I don't think it was screen used or even production made. At the time of his bankruptcy auction it was listed in collectors items along with other licensed replicas - Han in carbonite, life sized Yoda, Watto etc

Whatever he had sold for $3750 it was item number 268 http://www.kapilatrustee.com/pdf/Affidavit_Exh_A_Auction_Results.pdf

Chris

Hi Chris,

I had that info too but it's up on the bay now...... and the receipt says it is a studio used helmet.

Last edited:
IIRC, the consensus back when it was first auctioned was that it didn't seem to match any known examples.

Maybe someone else has better pics of it? The current ebay ones are too tiny to really make out any detail.

I'm no Vader expert, but it looks to be all black, and that alone would be a pretty big difference when comparing to the screen used helmets...

The other thing of note is that the auction shows part of the receipt, but not the important part (the source!). To know who bought the piece originally is small help... with screen used props it's all about history. Knowing who Pearlman purchased from (and that person/shop's reputation) is key.

Maybe that was something listed in the bankruptcy auction?

hope that's some help
Tom

IIRC, the consensus back when it was first auctioned was that it didn't seem to match any known examples.

Maybe someone else has better pics of it? The current ebay ones are too tiny to really make out any detail.

I'm no Vader expert, but it looks to be all black, and that alone would be a pretty big difference when comparing to the screen used helmets...

The other thing of note is that the auction shows part of the receipt, but not the important part (the source!). To know who bought the piece originally is small help... with screen used props it's all about history. Knowing who Pearlman purchased from (and that person/shop's reputation) is key.

Maybe that was something listed in the bankruptcy auction?

hope that's some help
Tom

Hi Tom,
I have asked for some history and larger pictures but as yet to hear back from the guy......
Thanks anyway.
Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the link. Shame the pics aren't great. Looks like he shelled out $9500 in 1992 for it and judging by his bankruptcy sale price list he lost a good bit on it.

First thoughts are some features look soft and the teeth look cleaned up. Could be thick layers of paint. The Y crease is nowhere to be seen.

Better pics would help it looks like a nice enough lid screen used ANH highly unlikely.

Usual conclusion may be a tour suit helmet????

Cheers Chris

That's a Jeff/GH/DK style helmet. Was linked to Don Post from an original, but heavily reworked. The top of the facemask/brow will reveal more of the lineage, but the slanted mouth wall, flat neck area at the chin vent is a clear giveaway. If this is THE one... maybe it's the source of that family of helmets.

Hi Carsten,

I had thought Jeff/GH lineage but the sharpness of the lines between the dome and the flare on the helmet looks sharper than the usual ones we see floating about. The helmet reminds me a bit of the one-off ANH recast helmet on starwarshelmets.com that was sold in an auction in 1993. The teeth look much thicker than that one but it has the same look. That one is also painted all black on the cheeks with thick paint.

A side shot of the right hand side (whilst wearing) would be a good shot to tell if it comes from the GH lineage.

We definitely need better pics if the seller is kind enough to share some with us it would be ideal.

Either way I don't think it is anything close to being screen used.

Chris

Chris, there are many variants of the Jeff/GH style helmets... there are 5+ different helmets with varying looks and details, softness and sharpness. One thing is certain thought about this helmet... it is from that family of helmets and they were often and still are purported to be accurate and directly off or actually being ONE of THE screen helmets. The lie lives on, because people either don't know or has too much to lose.

Maybe we'll never hear the full truth about the origin of this family of helmets... but this one is definitely from that family.

From what I understand, the reason for the 'look' of that family of helmets is because DP was given a casting from the studio to use as the basis for their 'not yet released' plastic vader helmets.
DP then decided to try and re-work the casting into a more symmetrical piece so it wouldn't be viewed as wonky/offensive to fans. One side of the face was heavily reworked but the entire thing was cleaned up/sanitized. You know, the same thinking that even contemporary licenses have in regards to cleaning up/changing/'fixing' the 'flaws' of the real props.
Later as we all know, DP completely abandoned any movie sized endeavor in lieu of a much smaller 'kid friendly' version which was completely sculpted from scratch. That is until 1995 with the fiberglass deluxe line (which has nothing to do with the helmet being discussed.)

The helmet in question up for auction and the one-off on SWhelmets has an odd thickening of the helmet centre strip before it gets down to the Y crease. This isn't seen on the DJ, SL, screen helmet.

That is what made me think they had a similar look.

Pic taken from starwarshelmets.com of 93 auction helmet.

Chris

OK ,
I'm still no closer!
I will hopefully have some better pics soon. I have also asked where it was originally purchased by Louis.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back