NBC Constantine Costume

The production designer posted this on Twitter so im guessing this is his lighter
View attachment 408399

Based on this image the one I posted seems to be the one used thus far. I hope the one you posted shows up, it's gorgeous.

constantine-cab-matt-ryan_article_story_large.jpg

So the right side of the lighter reads
Crux sacra sit mihi lux "May the holy cross be my light"
It's from the saint Benedict medal. The cross on the front looks celtic but within it has alchemy symbols. The Symbol for flame is the circle around the triangle, square, circle symbol that represents the four elements.150px-Squaredcircle.svg.png
Four_Basic_Elements__Modern_by_Notshurly.jpg

Update:
The base for the cross design
Screenshot_2014-11-26-20-00-04-1.jpg

Worked up a rough version on my phone
Screenshot_2014-11-26-20-00-04-1_20141126200352585_20141126200537270_20141126200840457.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find on the tie. It does look pretty much dead on.

I'm probably not going to be a fan of the new look if we see it. Constantine's look has already been extremely streamlined from the comics and given he holds a big attachment to his trench coat, replacing it seems out of character for him.

Good looks on the tie. I went to Macy's today as they were having a sale of 50%. Don't know how it happened but I asked the guy if they did military discount, he said no but would give me a small discount. I walked out the store having spent $15 for the tie. Now I Just need to track down something decent for a jacket.

Nice find on the tie. It does look pretty much dead on.

I'm probably not going to be a fan of the new look if we see it. Constantine's look has already been extremely streamlined from the comics and given he holds a big attachment to his trench coat, replacing it seems out of character for him.

I don't know what show you're watching, but they have yet to establish any connection between him and the coat on the TV show. Heck, he barely wears it most of the time. Changing the look is perfect opportunity to establish a connection to the trench by making the new one special somehow.

I don't know what show you're watching, but they have yet to establish any connection between him and the coat on the TV show. Heck, he barely wears it most of the time. Changing the look is perfect opportunity to establish a connection to the trench by making the new one special somehow.

I just think it's unneccessary. I think delving into the history of the current trench coat through flashbacks relevant to an episode/arc's plot would be a better method to bring meaning to it, as there is in the comics. Also, I think a custom-made, even more streamlined cut than the Burberry London trench is going to look too fanciful. I reckon it'll break immersion for me every time I see it.

Nice mock up! This past weeks episode gave a quick shot of the opposite side of the lighter, it featured two triangle and a Levethian Cross on the top. Let me see if i can take a picture off the dvr

- - - Updated - - -

So the right side of the lighter reads
Crux sacra sit mihi lux "May the holy cross be my light"
It's from the saint Benedict medal. The cross on the front looks celtic but within it has alchemy symbols. The Symbol for flame is the circle around the triangle, square, circle symbol that represents the four elements.View attachment 409557
View attachment 409558

Update:
The base for the cross design
View attachment 409569

Worked up a rough version on my phone
View attachment 409571

I've been trying to get a read on the Spell or Prayer written behind the cross, but having trouble making out any words. Anyone have additional pics?

There's a small group of us that have been working on replicas of the lighter, the cursed vinyl, cigarettes and other props from the show.

The props all look great. I've been looking at the forums for a long time and am always amazed at how talented everyone is.

Juno, if you you decide to do a run of the lighter I'd be interested in 1 along with the cig box if you're still doing those.

Of course, in the final episode of the show and on the cusp of cancellation, Constantine gets a *proper* trenchcoat!

Given the last one was a Burberry, I'm going to assume the new one is the same brand, and this looks pretty close:

The Westminster - Long Heritage Trench Coat: http://au.burberry.com/the-westminster-long-heritage-trench-coat-p39066901#

Again, the price might edge some folks out, so look for cheaper alternatives.

Juno, PMing you about that lighter.

Be seeing you

On a side note, does anyone know the make and model for the Ace of Winchester and his OTF knife?

Pretty much all of the specialty props were made by Hex Mortis. Many of the guns and knives are stock parts enhanced with 3D printed parts.

Of course, in the final episode of the show and on the cusp of cancellation, Constantine gets a *proper* trenchcoat!

Given the last one was a Burberry, I'm going to assume the new one is the same brand, and this looks pretty close:

The Westminster - Long Heritage Trench Coat: http://au.burberry.com/the-westminster-long-heritage-trench-coat-p39066901#

Again, the price might edge some folks out, so look for cheaper alternatives.

Juno, PMing you about that lighter.

Be seeing you

The new coat is 100% made in house from an 8oz Chino twill. I I started sourcing materials for it back when we started filming, but things happened, that got pushed back, I went back to the Originals, and my replacement tailor eventually got to tackle this project. It's thanks to her that it's a real iconic, Constantine trench and not the stylized mess that the designer was pushing for. It should have been introduced three episodes sooner and written into the story (probably as a gift from the nun), but miscommunication delayed it's first appearance.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back