NBC Constantine Costume

Here's some candy for you kiddies!
Sara posted pics of the new trench under shop lighting, so you can get a better look at it. Enjoy!

Also... These are the materials I sourced for the coat when I was there.
Leather buckles http://www.atbutton.com/buckle-style-2520
Fabric is from Carr Textiles.

18269_873589922662331_4667122269149407839_n.jpg
11002630_873589919328998_4763229496099966455_n.jpg
10995363_873589885995668_1788670847572180614_n.jpg

Hey guys! I'm the tailor Chris is talking about, and that's my coat! I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have!

I've not caught up on the show since the break, but that coat is freaking GORGEOUS!!! :love

Hey guys! I'm the tailor Chris is talking about, and that's my coat! I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have!

Can you post any more pictures? I guess the better question would be what can't you tell us?

Thanks guys! I'm really glad you like it. Trenches are so much fun because they have so many elements that are pretty much all rooted in military functions, so we did a ton of research in order to make it work visually and functionally. The producers really wanted a solid iconic look that stood on it's own and truly represented the coat in the comics that is so iconic it becomes sentient! I really hope they bring back the show for a second season so we get to watch it evolve into it's own character.

That's a beauty. I'm glad it's not as streamlined as it was originally planned to be. It looks very classic Constantine. I see the Barbour collar thing was brought over from the original single breasted London coat.

For anyone interested in a cheaper variant for costume or to own, there's an Asian version of the Barbour Westminister on eBay for £15.88. It has pictures of the actual Barbour coat which is a bit suspicious, but I was happy with the Asian knockoff of Constantine's first coat when I got it.

The lighter from the first episode was an off the rack Ace of Spades that was horrible... fans deserve better. The idea is that it burnt up on the rooftop when he tosses it down at the ned of that episode. The new one is what is pictured in the photo with the Silk Cut cigs.

Sara will have to chime in on that one, and I don't think she checks here much. The plan for the coat changed dramatically from my time on the show. The designer, who doesn't really have any marriage to the source material, was wanting a streamlined "sexy" version when we started. I think Sara put her foot down on that one. Matter of fact, I would credit her with saving that iconic piece of clothing from the TV fashion farm.

The Trench Coat that was originally designed by Burberry back during the war times had many different elements that had various military functions, such as a wool lining that could be detached and used as a sleeping bag, and storm flaps that kept the rain from running into the coat. When putting together the design, I sat down with the show's wardrobe designer and we chose which elements we liked, and how they should be stylized for the character. I am a huge HB nerd so I wanted to maintain the essence of the trench as a character in and of itself while subtly dramatizing bits here and there to keep it in the realm of a comic book costume and not just another off the rack coat you could just go out and buy. The producers were really after an iconic trench look that would add definition and clarity to the overall character. Other facets of the styling of the coat were based around what looked good/flattering on Matt and what he felt good in. He would try it on and slouch a bit, stick his hands in his pockets and slink into character and let us know what worked and what didn't. He requested a variety of interior pockets because he liked the idea of pulling random odds and ends out of them. I drafted the pattern from scratch based on Matt's measurements then constructed it the same way they put together bespoke Burberry ones, there is a ton of info online about how they construct their coats and why not just follow in the footsteps of the best/original. The fun part about drawing from the comic book is that each artist drew it differently. Some were really not about the coat and only hinted at it with minimal lines while others drew it in very high detail. Sometimes it was raglan sleeve and sometimes not. The collar changed with the decades. There were a lot of options as far as that went. It was a really cool process. I wasn't privy to the early ideas that were thrown around, but Daniel Cerone was always pretty clear in what he was looking for, and was please with the end result. I think I have some sketches laying around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them up. Thanks for your interest! It was definitely one of the most fun projects I've ever worked on!

- - - Updated - - -

Aw, thanks Chris! Just fighting the good fight! I was super close to getting them to go with Papa Midnight in a grass skirt and tailcoat too, but the director axed it. *sigh*

Ok.. so I have to ask, has anyone figured out the font used on the business cards yet? I've got a rough idea of the card stock used, but I'm looking to find the font and try and get the spacing right so it's a proper print as opposed to a print out of an image.. I'm guessing Times New Roman family, but it's not quite the same with the numbers and the little nuances on the tips of the H and T aren't quite the same either.

As for the TV and Movie Constantine, looking at the two costumes side by side, if you got hold of a blonde and black wig, and the black tie and trench coat from the movie, you could pretty much play both versions on the same day without changing shirt or trousers or shoes...

I've got the two arm tattoo's from the movie version actually tattooed on me, so I'm looking at doing both at cons and the like but obviously with more sass when wearing the TV kit :)

This might be the wrong thread to post it in, but he was the same man. Plus, his costume is darker and I like it.
Keanu Reeves' Constantine was good too. Not in accurate looking like John, but we'll acted. His costume was very different than the comics. But if I can, I want to touch upon it.
The Trench Coat was basically a single Breasted rain trench. With vertical pockets. EBay has plenty. The shirt is tricky. It's an OxFord I believe (not 100% sure). The pocket I'd square, but it has a pointed sewn line on the inside. I'll post a picture soon to show what I mean

The Trench Coat was basically a single Breasted rain trench. With vertical pockets. EBay has plenty. The shirt is tricky. It's an OxFord I believe (not 100% sure). The pocket I'd square, but it has a pointed sewn line on the inside. I'll post a picture soon to show what I mean

Coat, shirt and tie all ID'd on the first page of this thread.

Given the blu-ray is coming out soon I thought there might be some renewed interest in this.

Did anyone ever identify the boots, sunglasses or watch Matt Ryan wore as Constantine in the series?

Thanks.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back