Interest Original '76 ANH Kenobi Stunt Casts (4145/A)

PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here we go, again...
20230222_204351.jpg

A quick recap for those unawares: The Kenobi stunt hilts (that later became the V2 and V3 used in RotJ) were originally made for STAR WARS in 1976 as fencing and special effects work. They were foundry cast out of a brazing alloy called 4145/A from a wonky master pattern made of wood. There's only two surviving stunt hilts in collector's possessions today, and I've been able to restore a 3D scan of a production-made stunt hilt in the possession of an RPF member back to its original specs and produce copies of it (my "Lineage cast hilt" project run). However, the hilts I produced were not in the original material. I have since managed to acquire a limited stock to produce a couple of hilts for my own collection. The first of its kind in near-50 years: from the same pattern, same materials, and same construction. I've documented as much as I could of the process in my RnD thread, here.

While I've stated in my thread I wasn't likely to ever do this, I've been asked a number of times already from some others on doing some casts in 4145/A, and despite my initial hesitation, it's to the point now where I have to seriously consider it. Consider this an epilogue to my lineage cast project run (and in time for Return of the Jedi's 40th Anniversary).

20230207_163028 (2).jpg
I've mentioned before that the original alloy is hard for me to get a hold of (and incredibly expensive), and presents a bit of a health hazard with its high silicon content. Especially in the amounts I have to melt down. This run, if it gets going, wouldn't just be significantly more expensive than my previous run; it would be entirely for profit. It'd have to be in order to help with potential medical bills should any side-effects occur. The material itself meets NIOSH's safety standards but I don't think that accounted for the possibility of the alloy being melted in large amounts in one single setting.

I've thought about the manner and pricing of this project since I've been asked. There's only going to be a run of six. I may do more of these limited runs in future but, for now, I'm not willing to put my health at risk for anything more and not do these for anything less (and I feel the figure is still too low). This is for all the high-rollers that's asked me to make these; time to put money where your mouth is.

I can front the initial costs to acquire the material but, like my last run, I need serious interested parties to make this happen. The run will be broken into two groups of three hilts each. Depending on what's secured, I can finish the six hilts within a month to a month-and-a-half. I won't take deposits upfront, but if these hilts happen, when I have them in hand, I expect immediate payment. A simple, clean, and clear 1:1 transaction.

This project will not happen if I do not have six serious, committed buyers.
PRICING
  • A lineage cast in the original material: $1,685 (shipping included).​
  • The V2/V3 I will only offer finished. They will be in the original material with all the necessary greeblies, and constructed as my research has yielded (stock aluminium emitter for the V2, etc). They will be $3,695 each (shipping included).​

I have to finish my current hilts first for the last remaining parties of my previous run and, after those go out, I'll have some time to make this happen, if it does happen. Rather than post your interest here in the comments, to maintain confidentiality, PLEASE DM ME PRIVATELY TO SECURE A SPOT.

I will use the comments here to answer questions and to update taken spots.

Last edited:
Do you know about when you would expect this to happen? Also, for the greeblies, are you getting vintage parts or replica parts?

As soon as the run fills, but I am hoping that things align to get this done to coincide with RotJ's 40th in May. That would be neat. As for greeblies, the cone knob, and lever I will make as I have done; the boot stud may be vintage or not depending on how many people sign up and want it. I'm leaning towards vintage bootstuds, if I can get them. The V2's clamps and clamp card will be replicas. The V3's clamp will be custom as there isn't a replica that I'm happy with the location of the extra holes. The V3's clamp card I will make as I have done, too.

Another bump for interest. 4145 was hard to get initially and now my original supplier is out for the foreseeable. There are a few more sources but, seeing how these turn out, I may have to scrap this entirely if I can't get the material anymore.

UPDATE: I went ahead and secured enough for what I need in case it becomes even harder to get in future. Out of the four places that listed 4145/A for sale, only one turned out to actually still carry it in stock.

There are two open spots on the run left, after that, I don't know if I'll even be able to entertain offering these again.

Last edited:
I don't mean to rudely crash the thread (it's out of my league cost-wise) but I just wanted to chime in and say what a fantastic opportunity this is for anyone on the fence.

This is a type of prop run from the 'old days'. The kind of item you can hardly get any longer unless you have deep industry contacts. It's a slice of SciFi and pop culture history, in more ways than one. As much as I like new techniques like 3d printing and whatnot, THIS (alongside home made scratch builds) is what the RPF and prop replica collecting were founded on. It's the kind of thing I would sit and drool over back in the early 00's, marveling at the (sometimes fanatical) attention to detail. (I always tell the story about replicating paint run drops on Stormtrooper helmets...) That you're doing it at all (even if 'for profit') when it comes with health risks is pretty awesome and it makes me happy to see these kind of runs can still happen. Good on you Sir for offering this!

Don't consider it rude at all, JOATRASH FX! I thank you for the vote of confidence. I never even considered my run(s) in the vein of the "old days" kind of projects, but now that you mention it, I suppose it is! I too remember drooling over some of the limited runs here that used to happen in the mid-late 00's. Nothing that I could ever afford but would envy those that could get it; lineage 2nd/3rd gen, fiberglass Vader helmets, and Stormtrooper buckets pulled with the same HDPE used for milk cartons at the time (and armor that included thumbprint in one of the bicep armor). With the ease of access to rapid prototyping and large-scale manufacturing from companies that could facilitate these kinds of things--as great as that option has been in the last 10-20 years--I suppose it's only natural that tastes change as well for these kinds of items.

That you're doing it at all (even if 'for profit') when it comes with health risks is pretty awesome...

At least that makes one of us! :lol:

Last edited:
Bump. I'm still waiting on the back-order of 4145/A to arrive. It seems that whatever store is left, it ain't much. Anyone with any interest in this should jump on it while I still can get a supply. It's likely not going to be any easier getting this stuff in the near future.

Bumping this to see if there's interest in a couple of these being made. I have a little bit of material in hand (enough for two, I think); if anyone is interested in getting one, I have a little bit of time to knock a couple out. DM me for interest as the OP instructs, please.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back