OT Chewbacca WIP - sculpt

Re: OT Chewbacca WIP - sculpt - New Pics added 3/24

I think you're doing a good job keep it up

Thanks, guys.

The cleft and roundness of the nose may be what is missing and takes away some of the likeness. Notice on the piece in post 21 the brow and the cheek definitions. Also, the lower part of your sculpt looks way too bulbous and egg-shaped. Chewie had a wide brow and then narrowed down towards the chin. At least that's how I envisioned the skull under all that hair.

That's what I was thinking as well, but I can't tell if the brow is not big enough to match the bigger part of the mouth, or if the brow is fine and the mouth is just too big. It's hard to tell how much of a mask piece is there to cover Mayhew's own face. that's the part I'm struggling with right now. As for the pics on post 21, I have been using them constantly to get the shape right, but without the correct thickness and stuff, it's really hard for me to tell. I'm sure I'll get it right, it's just going to take time and all of your advice.

These last couple of photos are still a work in progress, hence the unfinished details in the mouth and nose. I should have posted that earlier. Thanks again. And if there are any other photos that people would like to share of the original mask that may not have been seen, I would love to see them. And if you're worried about them being shown publicly, i would be more than happy to receive them via email. :)

Last edited:

I think you are heading in the right direction. The nose could have a little taken off the sides, and you might narrow the muzzle a little. Also, the chin might need some taken off the bottom so that it isn't so tall overall. There will be a lot of hair that will be coming down over the chin that will add to the overall thickness.

Ok, no new pics tonight. Sorry. I worked on it for about an hour when I got home from work and had to stop before I made myself sick, but I'm ok with the direction it's going, so I want to work on it some more tomorrow morning and then I'll post some new pics. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I think they're pretty accurate conclusions.

One thing. Either the brow has to be widened a bit or the chin and jaw has to be narrowed. One way or another, the two have to become more evenly shaped and since the dimensions are missing I think you should go with your gut feeling and try to shape it as you feel it looks most accurate to the reference material.

But I still keep coming back to the thing I believe was mentioned about the mouth and that it basically links to the PotA leftover appliances... so that could give you some reference on how to form things!?

One thing. Either the brow has to be widened a bit or the chin and jaw has to be narrowed. One way or another, the two have to become more evenly shaped and since the dimensions are missing I think you should go with your gut feeling and try to shape it as you feel it looks most accurate to the reference material.

But I still keep coming back to the thing I believe was mentioned about the mouth and that it basically links to the PotA leftover appliances... so that could give you some reference on how to form things!?

I see what you're talking about with the POTA makeup, so I'll see if I can find some good pics of those. Unfortunately I woke up too late to work on it, but here's some pics of what I did to it last night. Ok, I just compared it to some pictures and I think it's pretty close. I just need to bulk up the nose like most people have commented on. Not sure when I can get to that, hopefully this weekend. Thanks again for all the advice and keep it coming.

This is just some roughed in shapes to see direction, so hence no details.

Last edited:
Re: OT Chewbacca WIP - sculpt - New Pics added 3/27

Steveo, the problem with asking for feedback on this is no one has made an accurate Chewbacca mask like this. People have come close, and you appear to be closer than you were earlier. Keep at it.

Steveo, the problem with asking for feedback on this is no one has made an accurate Chewbacca mask like this. People have come close, and you appear to be closer than you were earlier. Keep at it.

Thank you. Well, I'm really just looking for feedback to see if others can see things that I'm missing. I can usually spot what doesn't look right on other people's work, but can't figure it out when it comes to my own. Pretty ironic. :) Anyway, thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it.

Thanks TMG.

I know PM has a long face but the pictures of the mask seem to me to be more roundish. It's really hard to imagine my sculpt with hair, which I think would help a great deal. I can't decide if I need to drop the nose and mouth a little further from the eyes.

Everything seems to be at the right spot now. In my view, the addition of the cheeks and the slimming of the mouth piece did the trick. Now you should just concentrate on the detailing on the nose and get that right and leave the rest for later.

Just looking at the piece of latex someone posted earlier, I would not drop the nose. It needs to be a bit more bulbous, but I would not move it. I am only echoing what Carsten is saying now, but the guy is right.

Thanks guys. It seems to be the nose that I'm having most troubles with. Every picture of the nose I have seems to be very different. I know it's not, but the pictures are deceiving. If anyone has some really good pictures of the nose, I would appreciate it. Or if anyone has HD screen captures that would help as well.

Yeah the nose is a pain, it's considerably smaller in the ROTS wookiees.

I was very surprised how big the nose was on the Chewie on display at the SW concerts.

Just got back from vacation, so will be diving in again. I've made a little progress and hope to have some pictures within the next couple of days. I appreciate all the suggestions as they have made me go further than i would have to make my sculpt more accurate.

Looking back at the old pictures I took, i was way off in a lot of areas.

Just got back from vacation, so will be diving in again. I've made a little progress and hope to have some pictures within the next couple of days. I appreciate all the suggestions as they have made me go further than i would have to make my sculpt more accurate.

Looking back at the old pictures I took, i was way off in a lot of areas.

You'll get there, in fact you're nearly there!

It's just a case of looking at it from every possible angle, turning it upside down, on it's side etc!

You'll get there, in fact you're nearly there!

It's just a case of looking at it from every possible angle, turning it upside down, on it's side etc!

Yes, that's the problem...looking at it from all the angles. One angle looks spot on, then another, not so spot on. It's working them all out to look right together. A more challenging process that I first thought. But I am having fun!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back