OT Chewbacca WIP - sculpt

Re: OT Chewbacca WIP - sculpt - New Pics added 3/27

Actually... no... that just makes it worse. Sorry to hear that. Now... get back to work! :lol

Work has rebegun and I must say I'm happy with it...for now. Again, I have the nose and mouth to work on...the two areas that I just can't quite get right. I'm happy with the eyes, which helps make Chewie look like Chewie. Hopefully this weekend will produce more photos...finished photos at that. Only time will tell.

Ok, I'd like to say I'm finished, but....anyway, here are the latest pics. I tried to replicate the photos of the finished real mask without fur so you guys can compare. Let me know your thoughts. Unfortunately I already see areas that need work. I may just go ahead and mold this one up and put some hair on it and see what I get.
chewy005-1.jpg

chewiecompare4.jpg

chewiecompare3.jpg

chewiecompare2.jpg

chewiecompare1.jpg

Re: OT Chewbacca WIP - sculpt - new pics 4/17/10 last post

Close. My observations about the nose - can't really see any other issues that may need addressing. You don't wanna make the nose too small, so it'd disappear with the addition of all that hair. Chewie's nose is a big round thing. .)

chewiecompare1.jpg
chewiecompare2.jpg

It's only very little... just add some bulk on the tip and blend it in with what you've already done. Just go easy so you don't squash your current shapes... as it's pretty close... just the roundness of the tip of the nose that is not looking bulky and round enough.

Think soft.

Looks great, but I'm not sure about those green and black lines...... :lol

Looks great, but I'm not sure about those green and black lines...... :lol
Shut up. :)

The green lines was to show the bulk edges of the nose... the black... well... just outline. Thought it would be too confusing to have all black lines.

I'm in the same boat as you again, trying to thrash out dimensions, it's bloody harder than it looks.

You're doing really well, I still think your muzzle is a tad narrow from the front view, the corners of the mouth are pretty much as wide as the eyes from corner to corner!

Also I would say open up the eye sockets a little more, it will help when it comes to punching the hair!

Are you planning on making a working mask?

I'm in the same boat as you again, trying to thrash out dimensions, it's bloody harder than it looks.

You're doing really well, I still think your muzzle is a tad narrow from the front view, the corners of the mouth are pretty much as wide as the eyes from corner to corner!

Thanks DF. Bloody harder than it looks is an understatement! :) Yeah, every picture of the mask with hair on looks different according to the eyes. I think mine is way undersized if you go by the eyes, but I can only do it on the head that I have and every time I added more to the cheeks, the less it looked like Chewbacca. I'm gonna stick with the overall size I have now, add some hair and if I'm still excited about going ahead, I may redo the entire thing. Only time will tell. I wish there were more telling pictures of the undermask, hairless, with the eyes there. There are only a few and they are confusing me.

Are you planning on making a working mask?

I keep going back and forth with this idea, but for the time being, I'm just going to do a display piece. I don't have any intentions of ever wearing one. Just curious why you ask about that? Was there some suggestions for if I did?

Thanks again for all the help, suggestions and compliments to everyone.

The only reason I asked was because I thought that the muzzle might be a little shallow to fit a fill set of teeth, tongue and palate with throat opening but I think you're ok! Wouldn't matter too much for a display version anyway!

While I'm no expert by any means it does seem as if the muzzle needs extended.

Looking great so far! :)

FRONT, IMO seems to need to protrude a bit more? That being said I definitely see the ANH Chewbacca in your sculpt. (y)thumbsup

Thanks. I am reworking those areas, so I hope to have some new photos soon.

step away for a little bit , then come back to it . looks good

Thanks...too late for that though. I've already restarted working on it, another overhaul. Will have to see where this one takes me. I've got to finish soon though as the WED is getting drying.

Last edited:

Been trying to get the overall rough shape of the face before I do the detailing again. Hoping to have some new pics of that step later tonight. I appreciate all the feedback so far as it's really helping. I learn new things every time I rework it, so thanks to everyone who has offered input.

Here are some new, pictures of the rough sculpt to show the newer bigger proportions. I think my proportions were never big enough, which is why I was having so much trouble with the nose. The eye holes have been enlarged, the face lengthened skull and jaw, the nose further down and out (and bigger :D), the mouth bigger. I still have some work to do in areas before detailing, but tomorrow is another day. I'm heading out!

Last edited:
Re: OT Chewbacca WIP - sculpt - UPDATE W PICS 4/24/10

Muzzle depth in profile is definitely better, but I still think face on that the muzzle is too narrow!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back